New - how do I know if it's any good?

C

Greetings

34 Writing Contests in July 2016 - No Entry Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Felicity Wallis

After five years of on and off writing, and re-drafting, with the creative excitement of plot twists and suspense, then a year of editing down 'til it bleeds, I'm left with no objectivity. Is it still a unique beautiful, tragic, story, or is it nothing? How do you gauge what you're left with, when the memory of the initial emotion might only be in my own mind, and not transferring to a reader? I should mention the novel is - Sercerts from the Remnant Forest. Set in Queensland Au.

After five years of on and off writing, and re-drafting, with the creative excitement of plot twists and suspense, then a year of editing down 'til it bleeds, I'm left with no objectivity. Is it still a unique beautiful, tragic, story, or is it nothing? How do you gauge what you're left with, when the memory of the initial emotion might only be in my own mind, and not transferring to a reader? I should mention the novel is - Sercerts from the Remnant Forest. Set in Queensland Au.
Welcome!

Welcome.
I've been working on a manuscript for about two years - and yes, writing, rewriting, editing, every darn thing until some days it feels like my cross rather than my star.
You'll meet plenty of such souls here I think.

Welcome to the Colony, Felicity! Objectivity for a writer is a difficult state to enter, which is why an honest beta reader's opinion helps.

I've been writing psychological thrillers for the last three years, involving convoluted plot twists and detailed research, none of which take me by surprise any longer. I can just about tell if a piece of writing works technically, but not if it thrills a reader—for, after all, I know what happens next!

A beta reader reassured me by commenting she hadn't seen that coming!

The thing is, we need to persuade literary agent, then a publisher, that we're worthy of consideration. You'll find plenty of useful tips in the Colony's archive of threads.

Greeting from me too!

I don't think I can offer any advice except to repeat Oscar Wilde - writing is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration. (He may well not have actually said that as a lot is attributed to him).

Hi and welcome. I think the only way to do it is by putting some distance and time between you and your work. Hard to do sometimes, but easier when you work on something new. Hopefully when you come back to it, you can see it with fresh eyes. Good luck. :)

Thank-you all for your welcome, sorry to start on a whinge! I've had beta readers and it gets the thumbs up, but not quite able to catch an agent yet. Just downloaded Sex lies and publishing by Ruper Heath, for a bit of distraction. A 500 word Flash Club splash sounds good, see you all there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Greetings

34 Writing Contests in July 2016 - No Entry Fees

Back