New Here.

23 Awesome Writing Conferences in April 2022

50 Writing Contests in April 2022 - No entry fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome @James Arlington . Hope you enjoy Litopia.

It’s extremely friendly here so do feel free to get involved as soon as you’re ready.

Here's a good place to check out (How-to guide) to see a lot of what goes on in the colony.

If anything is unclear please contact me and I’ll be happy to assist if I can.

Hi, James, and welcome. I heard history was having a bit of a revival, so you may find more people are interested in reading your book than you thought. Whatever genre you prefer, I'm sure you'll find lots of like-minded writers here on Litopia. Once you get to know the place, and feel comfortable about sharing your work, or critiquing others, check out the Workshops.

You can also submit the first 700 words of your own work to Pop-Ups if you'd like some advice on the beginning. That's on YouTube, Sunday evenings from 5pm (UK time). I'm not sure what that is in Hawaii but the beauty of YouTube is you can catch up with it any time. There's excellent advice every week on writing and publishing in general.

I'm one of the Guardians on Litopia. If you have any questions, please get in touch — happy to help any time. Look forward to seeing you around the Colony! :)

Historical Novel set in Tuscany in 17th century. Something nobody will want to read but me....
Hi James,

I'm new on Litopia too, and I think I might enjoy a historical novel set in 17th century Tuscany. Why would anyone not? After all, Umberto Eco's international bestseller,The Name of the Rose, was set in 14th century Italy, though in central rather than northern Italy.

My point is that the time and location of a story have little to do with its popularity, unless its popularity depends upon its timeliness, e.g., dystopian novels set in a post-Trump world. In any case, would you be willing to share a little of your draft, notes, outline, or whatever you have written or thought of writing?

Hi James,

I'm new on Litopia too, and I think I might enjoy a historical novel set in 17th century Tuscany. Why would anyone not? After all, Umberto Eco's international bestseller,The Name of the Rose, was set in 14th century Italy, though in central rather than northern Italy.

My point is that the time and location of a story have little to do with its popularity, unless its popularity depends upon its timeliness, e.g., dystopian novels set in a post-Trump world. In any case, would you be willing to share a little of your draft, notes, outline, or whatever you have written or thought of writing?
Hi Peyton,

I'm editing the manuscript for the xx time! I will share the first chapter soon to the workshop for feedback. I have been working on the blurb, which has gone through so many revisions; some people say do this, others say no, do that. I'm working on the query too. Here's the query, as an example:
------------
Dear (agent)

(researched personal greeting!). The Damned and The Wretched is a historical novel set in Tuscany and the Caribbean.

In 1625 Tuscany, fathering a child was a sacred duty, unless you’re from a prominent Catholic family and your lover is Jewish.

After the birth of their illegitimate child, who is torn away and given up to be at first raised in a convent, then a monastery, seventeen year old Salvatore is banished to a life of hard labor aboard one of the family’s merchant ships while Leah is betrothed by her father to a widower with children and must endure an unhappy marriage.

In the Caribbean, Salvatore is at first accused of murder, then abducted by pirates, where he must become a killer to survive.

All the while Leah clandestinely helps their son Pietro, a young prodigy who has at first gained the attention of Galileo, then the tutelage of Duke Ferdinand de Medici, and finally Salvatore’s ruthless brother, the bishop, who orchestrates Pietro’s conviction for heresy.

Condemned to death by both the Spanish and the Tuscans, Salvatore must escape and elude to return home, but before he can elope with Leah, he must rescue Pietro who has been tried and sentenced to death for heresy.

At about 101,000 words, The Damned and The Wretched is Romeo and Juliet meets The Hand of Fatima by Ildefonso de Sierra. I am a retired educator, an Army Veteran and have two ebooks published by Rogue Phoenix Press, My War with Hemingway and Spirit of the Amaroq. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

23 Awesome Writing Conferences in April 2022

50 Writing Contests in April 2022 - No entry fees

Back