News New Group Created - Litopia Book Club

Standard English?

Question: A free trip to Glasgow--what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping for an autocratic club, Read this. You'll like it and it's good for you!
But I'm good with voting.
I would only note that with a group containing both US and UK voters, the results probably are gonna be questionable.
VE ASK ZE KVESTIONS!

I know about British people voting. They voted in that king of theirs in such a sneaky way that TO THIS DAY nobody can explain how it was done.

I was hoping for an autocratic club, Read this. You'll like it and it's good for you!
But I'm good with voting.
I would only note that with a group containing both US and UK voters, the results probably are gonna be questionable.
Did you know that in some instances in Switzerland they still vote by show of hands? They gather in the town hall and stick their hands in the air. (Or at least they did until not so long ago but I think it's still happening.)

But that's only on a local level, like which kind of road surface to use in the village. My mum went to that parricular voting session. Her town is VERY important historically and about 15 years ago, it needed a new road surface. The choices were between cheap tarmac or cute, expensive cobblestone. So they gathered in the town hall and shoved their paws in the air. (Tarmac won, in case you're wondering and it looks sh*te. The knights of times past probably turned in their grave.) I digress. Things on a cantonal or national level (important stuff) are decided in the normal voting ways.

Either way, They vote on EVERYTHING.

I like voting on everything.

But don't take me in consideration as I won't be a frequent attendee. I'll only be able to drop in every now and then.

Next question: 7 PM GMT or 8 PM GMT start time. Either one works for me. Pop ups end at half six. It's only once a month rather than a weekly commitment, so I am not sure what makes better sense for you?

Conversion:
7PM GMT=2PM EST=11AM PST (depending on when daylight savings kick in, which should be abolished everywhere altogether because DST makes life more miserable everywhere. #facts.)

Next question: 7 PM GMT or 8 PM GMT start time. Either one works for me. Pop ups end at half six. It's only once a month rather than a weekly commitment, so I am not sure what makes better sense for you?

Conversion:
7PM GMT=2PM EST=11AM PST (depending on when daylight savings kick in, which should be abolished everywhere altogether because DST makes life more miserable everywhere. #facts.)
I would vote for a political party that pledged to get rid of the clock change. Hate it so much.

My preference is 8pm BST. That gives me time for a quick sprint around the streets with the dog before settling down again, but I won't make them all, so see what other people want. I can always do a mad dash instead of a quick sprint.

Another point: How far in advance are we going to vote on the books? To read by the next meeting or further in advance? In other words, if we know we're not going to make the next zoom, will we know what's coming up the month after that?

I'll text Liz Truss straightaway. I think she's anxious for this kind of feedback. Political gold, that. Ta.
This could be the defining plank in her next platform, after she mortgages her nation to benefit the Russians and other vampires who gather in Britain's tax-haven cave. My question is about who votes in UK elections? I assume it is like in the USA. Vast numbers of citizens, resigned to lives of poverty, but eager to make life worse for the people they see as losers, unlike themselves. They are the Trumpists and winners like him.

My preference is 8pm BST. That gives me time for a quick sprint around the streets with the dog before settling down again, but I won't make them all, so see what other people want. I can always do a mad dash instead of a quick sprint.

Another point: How far in advance are we going to vote on the books? To read by the next meeting or further in advance? In other words, if we know we're not going to make the next zoom, will we know what's coming up the month after that?
This time we'll be doing 2 months, but in general, I prefer to set the schedule for three months at a time, and then revisit. That way we can recongregate and read ahead if we know we'll be completely knackered. And 8 PM BST is fine with me. That's 3 PM EST/noon for Peyton and probably some depressingly early time for Hawaiians.

This time we'll be doing 2 months, but in general, I prefer to set the schedule for three months at a time, and then revisit. That way we can recongregate and read ahead if we know we'll be completely knackered. And 8 PM BST is fine with me. That's 3 PM EST/noon for Peyton and probably some depressingly early time for Hawaiians.
Day Monday, October 3, 2022. 5:20 PM.

Noble thought but what about asynchronous? Not a book club meeting time, but rather a SIG?

Hmm, if it's after Pop Ups that will be me out I'm afraid. The time difference puts it on a Monday morning for me, right when I'll be commuting to work :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Standard English?

Question: A free trip to Glasgow--what should I do?

Back