My Book Spa

Getting Perspective on Your Work

Fanfare! I must commend Nadine Dorries for her novelist's eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond Heart

Following on from mentioning my Book Spa from Mr B's Emporium, these are the books I brought home based on the personal recommendations they gave me: -

The Once and Future Witches - Alix E Harrow
Olive Kitteridge - Elizabeth Strout
Born Weird - Andrew Kaufman
The Book of Form and Emptiness - Ruth Ozeki
Gun Love - Jennifer Clement
Folk - Zoe Gilbert
The Golem and the Djinni - Helene Wecker
The Offing - Benjamin Myers
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

And then they sent me an email with all the ones that I'd had to leave behind, in case I want to check them out in the future: -

Priestdaddy
Spoonbenders
The Island of Missing Trees
The Power of the Dog
Greenwood
The Watchmaker of Filigree Street
Senlin Ascends
A Ghost in the Throat
The Mermaid of Black Conch
Small Things Like These.

I wish I had time to read!!!!

I think a Book Spa is a brilliant idea for avid readers and a truly innovative offer - and what a fabulous birthday present too.

Hope you enjoy your haul of goodies.

What the hairy hillside is a book spa? I tried googling it (other search engines are available) and just found references to booking spas.

What the hairy hillside is a book spa? I tried googling it (other search engines are available) and just found references to booking spas.
Is something one of the independent bookshops in Bath does. My son Sam bought it as a gift for my birthday.
You go to the shop, get given coffee and cake, and one of the staff is selected to talk to you, based on your reading tastes. They go through what kind of books you like with you, then bring you piles of recommendations based on what you’ve said.
And you sit there, drinking your coffee, in a comfy armchair, while they describe each book and why they think you’ll like it. And this all takes about an hour and a half, so there’s no rush.
Then you get to choose £60 worth of the books to take home (I added a bit more on top!), plus a mug and a money-off voucher for next time.
Was a lovely way to spend the morning.

Is something one of the independent bookshops in Bath does. My son Sam bought it as a gift for my birthday.
You go to the shop, get given coffee and cake, and one of the staff is selected to talk to you, based on your reading tastes. They go through what kind of books you like with you, then bring you piles of recommendations based on what you’ve said.
And you sit there, drinking your coffee, in a comfy armchair, while they describe each book and why they think you’ll like it. And this all takes about an hour and a half, so there’s no rush.
Then you get to choose £60 worth of the books to take home (I added a bit more on top!), plus a mug and a money-off voucher for next time.
Was a lovely way to spend the morning.
What if you don't like coffee or cake? (Not to mention lacking the £60) . . . a glass of water and one book perhaps.

The nearest independent bookshop to me (about 1/2 hour to 40 min drive in each direction) allows dogs and even has a dog water bowl. They also accept national book tokens to buy books (a good way to avoid overspending).

Following on from mentioning my Book Spa from Mr B's Emporium, these are the books I brought home based on the personal recommendations they gave me: -
I'll check out Once and Future Witches. Dropped into the local bookstore and 3 of the 12 books on display had a witchy theme. I wonder how the authors sold them in their pitches? So many agents say no fantasy. What I've written is not really fantasy, but closer to magic realism. In any case hoping this means my concept won't just be thrown out when I submit. Paranormal Women's Fiction too often is Charlene Harris and True Blood sort of things. (Loved the TV series, couldn't make it through one of the books.) Maybe witches are zeitgeist? There are a number of nonfiction books out about power, women and Hecate who precedes even Chaos in the Greek Pantheon.

I'll check out Once and Future Witches. Dropped into the local bookstore and 3 of the 12 books on display had a witchy theme. I wonder how the authors sold them in their pitches? So many agents say no fantasy. What I've written is not really fantasy, but closer to magic realism. In any case hoping this means my concept won't just be thrown out when I submit. Paranormal Women's Fiction too often is Charlene Harris and True Blood sort of things. (Loved the TV series, couldn't make it through one of the books.) Maybe witches are zeitgeist? There are a number of nonfiction books out about power, women and Hecate who precedes even Chaos in the Greek Pantheon.
There are also plenty of agents who want fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Perspective on Your Work

Fanfare! I must commend Nadine Dorries for her novelist's eye

Back