Mogford Writing Competition

Cake

Perseverence - keep going during those middle hard yards

Status
Not open for further replies.
10k price for a short story comp???? 10k????

Is this price real or am I too cynical? Maybe the cousin of the person who runs this thing will win it.

I clicked on the link alas the site seems to be down. I then googled themin case the link is broke, found the site that way, still no joy. The site is down.

Last edited:
I just managed to get on to the site. It certainly looks glam. They seem to be hotel chain. They're a buisness. They have their business hats on.

Still 10k??

And why does a hotel business run a writing comp?

Very odd they'd give away so much money with such a small entry fee, but they do have a list of past winners so you can see what they're looking for. Apparently the story has to be about food and drink.

That being said, I'm not understanding how or why a hotel chain would give away that kind of money for a 2500 word story. What's in it for them?

A list of a few names. Could be the receptionists. ;) Ooh, and one guy won twice?? Lucky man has won 20 grand.

Some of the background people in the photos are the same, wareing the same 4 years later, (check out pic of winner 2013 and 2017), same outfits, same makeup, same person they're standing next to. Sigh.

Oh, I'm in a cynical mood today....

Last edited:
A list of a few names. Could be the receptionists. ;) Ooh, and one guy won twice?? Lucky man has won 20 grand.

Some of the background people in the photos are the same, wareing the same 4 years later, (check out pic of winner 2013 and 2017), same outfits, same makeup, same person they're standing next to. Sigh.

Oh, I'm in a cynical mood today....

No, I agree. The whole thing seems too good to be true.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic. I'm the other way, unfortunatly, soured by too many people trying to exploit the dreams of us creative folk.

Yes, very possible it's legit. I'm just querying it because there are a few red flags on this one. Besides, anyone can recruit a highbrow judge. They'll be paying them to do it I suspect. He won't know the in's of the business. But yes, it's very poss they're perfectly legit. Very poss. Most likely. Let's hope so.

It looks completely legitimate to me. If you google the prize there are a wealth of links to it from legitimate websites, Harper's Bazaar, The Oxford Mail, The Oxford Literary Festival, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cake

Perseverence - keep going during those middle hard yards

Back