Looks pretty much like I left it...

K

Fanfare! Darrienia is an award finalist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernard Stacey

Must be nearly a year since I last stuck my toes in the Litopean Sea and I find that the old familiar beach vendors, deckchairs, and sea-shell collections are still there. I've been away doing an OU Creative Writing module, which has taken up pretty much all my spare time (apparently I was expected to go to work as well). Anyway, it's all over now and I've decided to take a year out from the OU (I'm in the middle of a degree) to write properly. I found that whilst I was writing loads it was all assignments and exercises and my WIPs were gathering dust. Moreover, I was losing the will to push on with them for lack of time.
Good to see so many familiar names (and a few new ones); the Flash Fiction still seems to be going; Peter is still having problems setting up video conferences. Yup - nothing has changed!
See you around.

the Flash Fiction still seems to be going; Peter is still having problems setting up video conferences. Yup - nothing has changed!
LOL literally.

Welcome back! It is much quieter than usual at the moment, though.
Doing an OU Creative Writing module actually sounds fun. :D How was it?

Thanks!
Mixed feelings about the OU course. The materials and online stuff (forums, etc) were, as usual, fantastic. My tutor group was quiet but four of us managed to get a good vibe going and helped each other along but our tutor was a 'life writer' devoid of any sense of humour or poetic talent and noticeable usually only by his absence.
I ended up with a feeling that I need a year out to digest everything I learnt and, as my 'own' writing went by the board during this time, I want to catch up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back to the beach! OU courses do tend to generate mixed feelings, partly because it is so difficult to do them while working and seeing one's family. I did an MBA, which was mainly OK except for the residential courses, which I disliked. But some people love that side of things.

Thanks!
Mixed feelings about the OU course. The materials and online stuff (forums, etc) were, as usual, fantastic. My tutor group was quiet but four of us managed to get a good vibe going and helped each other along but our tutor was a 'life writer' devoid of any sense of humour or poetic talent and noticeable usually only by his absence.
I ended up with a feeling that I need a year out to digest everything I learnt and, as my 'own' writing went by the board during this time, I want to catch up!

That tutor needed sacking! Miserable parasite. Nice to 'see' you again.

Welcome back Bernard. Would you say that your module has re-invigorated your writing? Or has it just set you back or put you off?

I only ask because I have often thought of doing a course in the past and worried deeply that it might just not be the right thing for me.

Welcome back Bernard. Would you say that your module has re-invigorated your writing? Or has it just set you back or put you off?

Nothing will put me off! I spent two thirds of the course writing poetry (after the first two assignments one can choose between the three major taught forms - fiction, poetry, and life writing) and enjoyed exploring this (I've written plenty of poetry before) in different ways. I wouldn't say the OU's approach to teaching poetic writing is one I'd recommend as it was fine if you understood the nuts and bolts of stresses and iambs and beats, but for the novices they were lost and didn't like it. There were some interesting techniques for assimilating material and I scored pretty highly in all the assignments for what that's worth but the whole thing is so very tutor dependent, and to a certain extent, also on who is in your tutor group.
It was a compulsory module on a degree course and I fully intend to finish the degree (3 modules to go) but I think a year out to revisit my WIPs, which have lain dormant as I wrestled with my poetic muse, will be a great thing. Also the next module requires a lot of pre-course reading and I've only done about half so far!
As a stand-alone course? Maybe...

Nothing will put me off! I spent two thirds of the course writing poetry (after the first two assignments one can choose between the three major taught forms - fiction, poetry, and life writing) and enjoyed exploring this (I've written plenty of poetry before) in different ways. I wouldn't say the OU's approach to teaching poetic writing is one I'd recommend as it was fine if you understood the nuts and bolts of stresses and iambs and beats, but for the novices they were lost and didn't like it. There were some interesting techniques for assimilating material and I scored pretty highly in all the assignments for what that's worth but the whole thing is so very tutor dependent, and to a certain extent, also on who is in your tutor group.
It was a compulsory module on a degree course and I fully intend to finish the degree (3 modules to go) but I think a year out to revisit my WIPs, which have lain dormant as I wrestled with my poetic muse, will be a great thing. Also the next module requires a lot of pre-course reading and I've only done about half so far!
As a stand-alone course? Maybe...

Thanks for getting back to me Bernard. it is useful to hear you opinions.

Good luck with the WIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Fanfare! Darrienia is an award finalist!

Back