Little Poems to Encourage Me When I Get Discouraged

Thought of the Day

Calling fantasy writers

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep me focused on how to present:

'A good hook comes before the book, if you want them to take a look'. :fishing-pole:

For trying to promote my self-published books:

'A vibrant and fascinating cover, will make the reader come on over.'

I did some booth sales at a small summer Faire. No one was buying much from any of the booths, except for the one that sold turkey legs. They had people waiting in lines. From this I learned:

"Prepare types and genres people want to read, if you want to gain readers indeed.' :turkey:

The obvious and most frustratingly difficult thing for me to do:

'If you want to keep readers for the long haul, then the first chapter says it all.'

And the last:

'Clean up the bad writing, and make the story flow,
Hold on to the dream, but remember craft as the goal,
The difference between being published and being publishable,

Make your work the best you can do, and trust the readers will follow.'

I wrote this poem, remembering some lonely and abused children I'd known when teaching, but its advice applies to solitary writers too:

Give Yourself A Cuddle

Give yourself a cuddle
Each and every day.
Be your own best friend,
You're better off that way.

Don't tell yourself off.
Others will do that for you.
Have lots of sunny thoughts,
There's no point in being blue.

You're better than you realize.
You're really lots of fun.
Give yourself a pat on the back
For being the clever one.

It's hard sometimes to be alone,
For life is such a muddle.
But you're sure to make it through,
So give yourself a cuddle.

I wrote this poem, remembering some lonely and abused children I'd known when teaching, but its advice applies to solitary writers too:

Give Yourself A Cuddle

Give yourself a cuddle
Each and every day.
Be your own best friend,
You're better off that way.

Don't tell yourself off.
Others will do that for you.
Have lots of sunny thoughts,
There's no point in being blue.

You're better than you realize.
You're really lots of fun.
Give yourself a pat on the back
For being the clever one.

It's hard sometimes to be alone,
For life is such a muddle.
But you're sure to make it through,
So give yourself a cuddle.

Also, have a look at organisations comic actress Ruby Wax has instigated:

Mental Health
Black Dog Tribe | SANE

Moodscope is a useful way of tracking one's mood with its test:

Moodscope - Lift your mood with a little help from your friends

I'd caution against doing the test every day, especially when depressed, as the last thing that you need is confirmation of how terrible you're feeling!
Yes, in listening to the documentaries, I did go to bed sad. But I'm a mom, and I worry. However, it must feel good to watch the documentary and feel the amount of people who also live with your same struggle. I found it encouraging in that way. One thing I for sure walked away with, keep the stress level down in your life. My daughter had recently moved, been in a car accident with some injuries for her and her passenger, had the new car she bought from the insurance pay out break down, along with her best friend's car which broke down soon after, and her friend had just fallen in love, which had an effect. All these big and small stresses added up, although she seemed to take them in stride. I think bipolar would've come on, but also, these stresses brought it on worse. Adolescense in itself, is a huge stress-causer.

Yes, in listening to the documentaries, I did go to bed sad. But I'm a mom, and I worry. However, it must feel good to watch the documentary and feel the amount of people who also live with your same struggle. I found it encouraging in that way. One thing I for sure walked away with, keep the stress level down in your life. My daughter had recently moved, been in a car accident with some injuries for her and her passenger, had the new car she bought from the insurance pay out break down, along with her best friend's car which broke down soon after, and her friend had just fallen in love, which had an effect. All these big and small stresses added up, although she seemed to take them in stride. I think bipolar would've come on, but also, these stresses brought it on worse. Adolescense in itself, is a huge stress-causer.

Disasters tend to arrive in packs, like jackals. I've always said, that when you're in the sewer of life, those aren't raindrops a-falling on your head! With any mental health issue, it's vital to keep communicating with friends and family. I've suffered from four periods of black depression, which robbed me of twelve years of life. But, I was a fool for staying alone and not sharing what was going on in my life. Counselling helped immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thought of the Day

Calling fantasy writers

Back