Your hero and you

31 Calls for Submissions in July 2020 - Paying markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve C

Basic
Mar 1, 2019
Thailand
I like the new blue colour but I find the text is now very small and also the member's photos. Everything seems to have shrunk. There is also a huge amount of empty white space that I feel could be used for larger text. Everything seems squashed in on the left-hand side and too small to read unless I move up close or change the settings on my browser to magnify everything. There is plenty of room for larger text if the white space was used.
The headings like FORUMS, WHAT'S NEW etc seem fine except an important one that visitors would like to see 'ABOUT' is invisible unless you happen to notice the header scrolls. CHAT isn't used except during Pop-Ups so could perhaps be swapped over.
All minor stuff which I can get around so no big deal but space-wise it feels a step backwards especially for visitors.
What do you think?

I like the new blue colour but I find the text is now very small and also the member's photos. Everything seems to have shrunk.

In recent times, we’ve seen the whole web move away from a fixed, static design, where every page looks the same, towards a “responsive” approach. This has mostly been occasioned by the widespread growth of reading websites on mobile devices, but it gives designers endless headaches. The Litopia you are currently looking at will not look the same to two different people using different devices! Even the fonts may be different.

I agree that the basic font size is probably too small (I’m reading on a desktop) and have increased it by about 15%.

Can everyone please give me some feedback on this? I think it looks better, but there may be folk viewing on a phone etc for whom it’s now too big…

There is also a huge amount of empty white space that I feel could be used for larger text. Everything seems squashed in on the left-hand side and too small to read unless I move up close or change the settings on my browser to magnify everything. There is plenty of room for larger text if the white space was used.

Fonty size now increased. Not seeing the "squashed" thing you refer to - screenshot?

The headings like FORUMS, WHAT'S NEW etc seem fine except an important one that visitors would like to see 'ABOUT' is invisible unless you happen to notice the header scrolls. CHAT isn't used except during Pop-Ups so could perhaps be swapped over.

Top menu items now reordered. ABOUT is not quite so important since visitors see a rather different version of the site in any case.

I didn't know where to look for "Chat" until I gave up and went to pop-ups anyway.

First item in the menu now. Members do in fact use it outside of Pop-Ups, often as a private chat area - and don't worry, I can't see what you're talking about!

Oh, I sort of get it now. Below is what I have recently noticed.
Just noticed that the skins change if I log out of Litopia to what visitors presumably see.
This header has only 4 items FORUMS, UPGRADE, WHAT'S NEW, YOUTUBE, ABOUT. which seems fine to me.
Interestingly the What's New page is different too. Not logged in it goes straight to the Latest Resources page. It is the logged-in version of What's New where I see all the white space and small font to the left which seems out of balance.
Blimey with all the different devices you ain't gonna keep all the people happy all the time. Good luck with trying though. :)

I've checked it out on my phone (not the most up-to-date) and it's fine. The type size is a little bigger than usual but I like that. On the computer is fine.

I had problems finding things because page titles disappeared from being horizontal along the top bar to vertical at left-hand side, indicated only by three wee lines. There was swearing. :) But I've figured it out now.

New layout works for me. It took a day or two to find all the buttons but I have done so now.

OK on phone, although for some reason to log out I need to view in landscape.

Font size - I'm usually on a laptop so no problem there but easily read on my phone too.

If there is demand, we could actually give members the choice of styles, i.e. regular size and large print. You would choose whichever setting you wanted in your control panel, and it would stay like that (for you individually) until you changed it.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's easy enough to zoom in a bit with your browser. The landing page for visitors is important and that's looking good. For me, the content/what's happening is what keeps me here.

Font size is good for me. With the search function, I'm not able to say what I'm searching for. Will Wiki come back?

Have noticed that when clicking on 'What's New' and going to the 'Resources' section, clicking 'show more' takes me to the 'New Resources' and not more of the whole section.

Sorry, Marketplace, not Resources. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your hero and you

31 Calls for Submissions in July 2020 - Paying markets

Back