Linguistics question...

K

Fanfare! Books released!

Authors' Incomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course - 's-gone', but do you put on the clotted cream first and then the strawberry jam, or the other way round?

(NB: there is only one correct answer to this. The wrong answer incurs a prolonged jail sentence.)
Haha! yup. And that one correct answer depends on if you are Devonian style (cream then jam) or Cornish style (jam then cream) Personally I'll take it however it comes, it's all good either way ;)

Pff. Everybody knows you pronounce scone to rhyme with bone. Also acceptable to pronounce it to rhyme with don. But 's-gone'? I've never heard anybody say it like that. Not even in nightmares. :)
Haha! I agree to disagree ;)

I feel like my entire university education was a waste, for I've learned everything I've ever wanted to know on this thread.
If you are thinking of postgraduate studies, may I suggest a thesis on the kitchen consumables that never get consumed. I am particularly thinking of the bottle of clear liquid -- tequila? -- with a lizard in it. Everyone's got one. Haven't they?

If you are thinking of postgraduate studies, may I suggest a thesis on the kitchen consumables that never get consumed. I am particularly thinking of the bottle of clear liquid -- tequila? -- with a lizard in it. Everyone's got one. Haven't they?
I don't...

Haha! I'd say that your proposition is crazy, but that would be pure hypocrisy: I looked at coyote poop for my post-graduate studies (no joke)!!

Wow! I came late to this party! But the first time I told my kids (who have been raised here in NZ) that we were having biscuits for breakfast, their eyes got big, and they said Biscuits!? I had to then explain that these were American biscuits, and that, no, they were not getting cookies for breakfast! So, while biscuits and scones (rhymes with Don, here, unless you're Pennsylvania Dutch, in which case Don rhymes with Dawn, and life just gets too confusing...have another scone and shut up) are just called scones here, we refer to the eggless, sugarless variety as American biscuits, and the egged, sugared variety as scones. And we eat them both frequently enough that I don't need the recipe books for many varieties, and I have the page numbers memorized for the ones I still don't know by heart...

Haha! I'd say that your proposition is crazy, but that would be pure hypocrisy: I looked at coyote poop for my post-graduate studies (no joke)!!
I believe you! My son is heavily into wildlife, and can discourse for hours on relative merits of badger and fox droppings...

Southern sausage gravy over biscuits, a couple of strips of bacon. That's good anytime! My wife makes me homemade hashbrowns, 2 eggs over easy and 2 strips of bacon most Saturday mornings. The other Saturdays she make biscuits and gravy! Now that I've made myself really hungry again, I have to wait a week....o_O

No kidding! You must tell me more! My master's is in Ecology and Sustainability--wildlife is my life! Well, when I'm not writing :)
I exaggerate, but only a little. He's 13, so an enthusiastic amateur rather than a pro like you. Think he gets it from me - at his age I was digging around in owl pellets to collect rodent skulls and tibias.

Lizard?! You're joking....
tequila-lizard-yuck-2.jpg

Scorpion vodka has a nice kick to it, we gave the scorpion to a friend to eat, he insisted we video it and upload it to FB for him. I can't watch it and I wont show it to you decent people (his table manners are gut-wrenching), I feel sick at the memory of that moment. The vodka was nice though.
Unfortunately alcohol is bought for drinking in my home, no bottle is left to gather dust at the back of a cupboard. Oh, the neglect! ;)

Hey, I'd eat the scorpion before I'd drink the vodka, that's for sure! At least scorpion is nutritious--high in protein, chock-full of micronutrients...and though I've never eaten scorpion, all the other arthropods I've eaten are quite tasty. Vodka, on the other hand, I can do without...

How can this be a scone?

4832743997_d9d5493fca.jpg

This is a scone!

Make up your minds United Kingdom! Cookies get chocolate chips, biscuits get butter, and scones get blueberries.

Except for when biscuits get jelly. Or cookies get raisins. I suppose you could have scones with raisins.

Make up your minds United States!

Eff the whole thing.

mmm...we call that a fruit scone. Especially with the raisins.

Plus how could anyone leave out the hot cross buns i.e current buns...preferably toasted and buttered please!
images

Ah, don't get me going on the subject of breakfast baking--it is rather an obsession. Cinnamon scones, lemon-barley scones, oat scones, biscuits, French toast, pancakes, waffles, pumpkin spice waffles, peach-oatmeal muffins, morning glory muffins, pumpkin muffins, sticky buns, hot cross buns...(just a few of my favourites!) Oh, the possibilities! My pancake recipe is actually world-famous...well, sort of. Tens of thousands of people have eaten my pancakes, though, some of them from overseas, and many have gone home with the recipe.

Ah, don't get me going on the subject of breakfast baking--it is rather an obsession. Cinnamon scones, lemon-barley scones, oat scones, biscuits, French toast, pancakes, waffles, pumpkin spice waffles, peach-oatmeal muffins, morning glory muffins, pumpkin muffins, sticky buns, hot cross buns...(just a few of my favourites!) Oh, the possibilities! My pancake recipe is actually world-famous...well, sort of. Tens of thousands of people have eaten my pancakes, though, some of them from overseas, and many have gone home with the recipe.

I feel a sound of music song coming along...."...these are a few of my favourite things..."

I exaggerate, but only a little. He's 13, so an enthusiastic amateur rather than a pro like you. Think he gets it from me - at his age I was digging around in owl pellets to collect rodent skulls and tibias.
Hey, that's how it starts! When I was his age, I would scour through owl pellets and collect the bones, just as you did. So glad you two can share that passion. Who knows? Maybe we'll be working together someday! We need more ecologists with a flare for dietary analysis!!

Only you, Jason....lol
What?! I'm just trying to employ a more universally-understandable method of pastry classification and give due advertisement to the Other Gods.

Oh, and I have sampled Taco Bell's "hottest pepper on earth" Daredevil Fiery Ghost Peper Loaded Griller and found it wanting.

Hey, that's how it starts! When I was his age, I would scour through owl pellets and collect the bones, just as you did. So glad you two can share that passion. Who knows? Maybe we'll be working together someday! We need more ecologists with a flare for dietary analysis!!
I did that as well. And when my fish died my brother and I donned tiny little lab coats, adjourned to the picnic table, and pulled them apart with dental tools, howling in abject revulsion the entire time. And then dumped stuff from the chemistry kit on the pieces to see what would happen.

I did that as well. And when my fish died my brother and I donned tiny little lab coats, adjourned to the picnic table, and pulled them apart with dental tools, howling in abject revulsion the entire time. And then dumped stuff from the chemistry kit on the pieces to see what would happen.

Boys will be boys, as they say. What did your experiments reveal to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Fanfare! Books released!

Authors' Incomes

Back