Is Wattpad the future of publishing?

Boston Review's special call for submission - Global Dystopias

A new publisher looking for SF/F manuscripts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm. Interesting, but my gut reaction is that, like self-publishing, only a tiny percentage of authors will make decent money from it. Worth keeping an eye on though. Wonder what @AgentPete would think of this...

I initially dismissed Wattpad as the world biggest slushpile. Other people, notably HarperCollins, have tried this sort of model, and it didn’t work out for them. So I bring some cynicism to the table.

Let’s see how it develops after a few years. For a few writers, it might be one option. But I agree with Em, anything starting with “XXX is the future of yyy” is mostly codswallop. The article is quite clickbait-ey, and I don’t trust Writers Digest much, either.

Interesting, and a little bit terrifying. Looking through the first couple of pages of promoted titles there seems to be a lot of erotica (certainly the biggest single category) on display, with highly suggestive covers trying to lure in the curious teen.
I doubt more niche or experimental work would get much of a look in but for some it may be a way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boston Review's special call for submission - Global Dystopias

A new publisher looking for SF/F manuscripts

Back