Fanfare! I got a publishing contract!

Mercedes or Bently or...

Litopia Village Hall this Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave you a Derek. I loved your post, I really did. But what the hell is a Derek, that's what I want to know. I thought if you were bored, you might have time to find out ;)

I gave you a Derek. I loved your post, I really did. But what the hell is a Derek, that's what I want to know. I thought if you were bored, you might have time to find out ;)

No idea. I´d like to know too. It seems @AgentPete likes to toy with us that way. Dancing Man seems to be bad too but I use it as Hurrah! So, there you go. Maybe next town hall meeting we should bring it up. :p

I think it's an oil rig. It doesn't look much like an oil derek to me though.

Gaaaa.....don't do that @Quillwitch :) An endorphin spike was followed by a slump.

A Derek gives a Litopian a black mark. I got one from the @OctopusMessiah, who did it for a joke, just trying them out. Someone else got one the same way. I got another one for a bad pun.
However, I can perfectly well cope with this insignia of infamy, and the children of the dark are notoriously wiser than the children of the light, and in fact, perhaps we should all give each other loads of Derek the dragons to remind ourselves that writers are, if not actually bad ass, often pig-stubborn and awkward ass, because they need to be, like anyone else who gives a damn what they're doing while accepting there's no reason in the world why anyone else should.

Kind of crane – derrick. Derek's a given name, Germanic in origin. Urban Dictionary has it as: Someone you CANNOT get off your mind because he is always so funny and cute. A Derek is a hotty with a killer body.

In the context of this forum's emoticons, I am still utterly none the wiser.

That's funny. I had no idea and my brother's name is Derrick. He's already conceited enough and so I probably won't tell him.

That little quivering jellyfish-poo is a dragon?! Well, roll me over and call me Bernard; you really do learn something new every day.

Funny. A blowhardy older gentleman I know said that dragons symbolize a teenage girl's sexuality. I always knew there was a reason I didn't like him.

What the actual Fahrenheit?! On what basis?

This:

I guess you're right. Maybe his opinion about dragons isn't a reason to dislike him. Also, disliking him might be more trouble than it's worth.

But I go to the trouble because he patronizes women and specifically women writers.

His comment about teenage girls and dragons is a variation of the old joke about teenage girls and horses. Except, this version makes fun of girls who read fantasy and likens the dragons to the horses. So bravo him. He's come up with a brand new way to draw an equivalency between young girls, fiction reading, and sexual frustration. It's a feat of chauvinistic brilliance really. I mean, making women look stupid and weak for reading is easy when we're talking about bodice rippers, but usually ... a little more difficult with fantasy novels. For centuries young girls who read 'silly novels' have been considered silly. It's not a cause to go to war over but I notice these things.

If you haven't thought about it before, it's probably because you haven't had to. I doubt a lot of women have thought about it either.

If you're not familiar with the teenage girl on a horse bit, let me know and I can explain because the more I think about it, the more I realize it's an old sort of archaic reference.

@Amber, I'm not right. And I unwittingly wrote an ambiguous sentence. I meant, on what basis is he relating dragons to teenage girls? Not, on what basis are you disliking him? Based on your original comment, I don't like him either.

And after your explanation (I'm familiar with the horse bit), I like him even less.

A dragon might: Araxu the dragon, lord of the hoard and slayer of all who walk upon the Earth; and his pet eagle Derrick. Inseparable they were.

@Amber, I'm not right. And I unwittingly wrote an ambiguous sentence. I meant, on what basis is he relating dragons to teenage girls? Not, on what basis are you disliking him? Based on your original comment, I don't like him either.

And after your explanation (I'm familiar with the horse bit), I like him even less.

It's a thing in Chinese and other folklore traditions. Dragons were attracted to and feared human women, especially women wielding needles. Dragons especially didn't like needles.

I came to congratulate, to share in a bit of your joy, and ended up giving you a dancing man, although I have no clue what it means or if it is negative or positive. If there were an idle hands icon, you would have gotten that one.

I wondered how on Earth I missed this and why on Earth you weren't blasting this news to every corner of the internet. Then I look and it figured. ;)
It will come one day (soon we hope!). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercedes or Bently or...

Litopia Village Hall this Sunday!

Back