Question: How many words is 50 pages!?

Inspiration! Share your favorite writing playlists (music)!

Short story published today

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Sherrard

Hi,
I've just started submitting to literary agencies and it's taking a very long time. Each agent requires subtly different formatting to everything from the synopsis to the way the email is titled.
Some are asking for the first three chapters, some for the first ten thousand words. I can figure that out. But a few are asking for the first 50 pages.

What does that mean? 50 pages of A4, or hardback or paperback? How many words on a page?
In other words, how many words is 50 pages?

Thanks!

I'm not sure (gosh, I'm helpful :rolleyes::D), but maybe check what they say about line spacing and font size. Last time when I was subbing, they generally wanted 12pt font size (I use Times New R) and either 1.5 or double spaced with sensible margins, in a word doc or pdf. Then send 50 pages of that and not worry about wordcount, after all they're not asking for wordcount. But the font size and spacing means it's comfortable for them to read.

That's just my opinion. I might be wrong.

Remember, they will have decided whether they want to read more probably by page 4 at the latest anyway.

Yep, they all want different spacing. These ones are asking for double spaced, 12 point. And fifty pages. But the question is, 50 pages of what?

Yes, I would agree with what @Barbara suggests.

If sending 50 pages in 12 point 1.5 or double spaced, I’d allow Word to do the formatting.

I can’t imagine if the word count is 15,000 or 15,345 it would be an issue. They will have made up their minds long before they get to the end.

For sure, I think they will want the sub as close to the guidelines as possible, but minor discrepancies would not be cause for rejection or not reading.

For example, despite Pop-up Submissions stipulating 700 words only, we often get many thousands of words or indeed full manuscripts.

Nevertheless, all are read and none rejected for being contrary to the guidelines. :)

When I have sent 50 pages, it's been 50 pages in Word 12pt TNR double spaced. I'm guessing it's around 10 000 words. Unless they specify book-style (which I've never seen them do, they'll be expecting normal A4 pages. Stop at a good place to stop. If that's 48 pages, that's completely fine.
I mean, if someone has read to page 48 and is disappointed they didn't get more, that would be a very positive sign

I did a sum. And it seems like 50 A4 pages is about 15,000 words with my book. So I've given them 12.5. and if they count, and have a problem with that. I don't want them to be my agent. :)
It's a so ridiculous when the entire manuscript only comes to about 250kb.
Why can't we just send the whole thing. Stop reading when you get bored...

As a general rule, a 'page' is about 250 words when double-spaced with wide margins (usually 1" or the equiv in cm 2.54), so 50 pages x 250 words would be about 12,500 words, but if they ask for pages, make sure it's pages of the doc with the appropriate formatting. Often, they will give an option of 50 pages or 10,000 words, whichever is least.

Personally, I don't want anyone who isn't interested in my story to be in possession of the entire thing, and I'm not even fully sure why.

Also if I send them a sample and THEN they ask for a full, that puts me in a stronger bargaining position. It means I can have more control by getting interest from an other agent I haven't heard back from yet and whom i may prefer. Stuff like that. I feel giving the entire thing gives too much too soon. Instead, doing it slowly, bit by bit, helps build a stronger buisness relationship. I want them to work for it. It gives the chance to interact with them and helps me judge if this agent is someone I want to have dealings with.

Last edited:
Just my 1 and 1/2 cents (or is it pence-not Mike?). I have always been told by professionals that your manuscript should be 12pt. Times New Roman, one inch margins. No justifying, just let the words wrap down to the next line. 50 pages will be a different word count, clearly, for different manuscripts if you have a lot narative versus dialogue.

I did a sum. And it seems like 50 A4 pages is about 15,000 words with my book. So I've given them 12.5. and if they count, and have a problem with that. I don't want them to be my agent. :)
They do.
I think the little tweaks everyone includes in their submission format is to allow their readers to, at a glance, jettison stuff without guilt.

Hi,
I've just started submitting to literary agencies and it's taking a very long time. Each agent requires subtly different formatting to everything from the synopsis to the way the email is titled.
Some are asking for the first three chapters, some for the first ten thousand words. I can figure that out. But a few are asking for the first 50 pages.

What does that mean? 50 pages of A4, or hardback or paperback? How many words on a page?
In other words, how many words is 50 pages?

Thanks!
My understanding is that it's 50 pages of A4 using double or 1.5 spacing and wide margins.

I haven’t read all the comments but I’m confused by your confusion…

1. Number your pages…
2.Format it per their request…
3. Extract and send the first 50 pages of your manuscript…

I know it’s a slog that everyone wants something different but unfortunately there is no way to avoid it, unless you want to get rejected for not following their requirements!

I’m not trying to be sarcastic by the way. You just need to number your pages and you will have your answer.

Happy to tell you how, if you need help. I always have to check my notes so Word doesn’t count the first cover page as a page.

I haven’t read all the comments but I’m confused by your confusion…

1. Number your pages…
2.Format it per their request…
3. Extract and send the first 50 pages of your manuscript…

I know it’s a slog that everyone wants something different but unfortunately there is no way to avoid it, unless you want to get rejected for not following their requirements!

I’m not trying to be sarcastic by the way. You just need to number your pages and you will have your answer.

Happy to tell you how, if you need help. I always have to check my notes so Word doesn’t count the first cover page as a page.
Hi, my confusion was about the size of paper that you tell Word that it would be if it was printed. If it's an American agent. They might not want A4. So I wondered if they meant 50 pages of a hard back book, or paperback or whatever. I think the consensus and therefore correct answer to the question is:
However many words you can fit into 50 correctly formatted pages of A4!
Thanks everyone!

I have always gone with A4 if I can--you can squeeze a few more words on to 50 A4 pages. If it's an American agent, I first look at where the 50 page break is on US Letter--if it's at a good spot, then I go with it, because I know that's what they'll expect. If it's not, and I can get a good break point by going with A4, I do A4. No one has ever said anything about my use of A4, and if anyone ever asked, I'd just say, "Well, most of the world uses A4, so that's my default." Let's face it, most agents aren't going to read more than the first page or two of your 50 pages anyway. LOL!

I have always gone with A4 if I can--you can squeeze a few more words on to 50 A4 pages. If it's an American agent, I first look at where the 50 page break is on US Letter--if it's at a good spot, then I go with it, because I know that's what they'll expect. If it's not, and I can get a good break point by going with A4, I do A4. No one has ever said anything about my use of A4, and if anyone ever asked, I'd just say, "Well, most of the world uses A4, so that's my default." Let's face it, most agents aren't going to read more than the first page or two of your 50 pages anyway. LOL!
Sneaky! I like this idea. I'm going to say i assumed they meant A3! :)

Hi, my confusion was about the size of paper that you tell Word that it would be if it was printed. If it's an American agent. They might not want A4. So I wondered if they meant 50 pages of a hard back book, or paperback or whatever. I think the consensus and therefore correct answer to the question is:
However many words you can fit into 50 correctly formatted pages of A4!
Thanks everyone!
They always mean 50 manuscript pages. Manuscripts are always A4 and formatted a certain way (12 point font, wide spacing, wide margins). I have never come across a request to format a manuscript as if it is a book, before sending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspiration! Share your favorite writing playlists (music)!

Short story published today

Back