How Many Books Will You Read Before You Die?

Greetings from yet another children's author

Software Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
This article contains some rather speculative statistics, but is still thought-provoking:

How Many Books Will You Read Before You Die?

I agree with what British novelist Hari Kunzru is quoted as saying in the article: “I used to force myself to finish everything I started, which I think is quite good discipline when you’re young, but once you’ve established your taste, and the penny drops that there are only a certain number of books you’ll get to read before you die, reading bad ones becomes almost nauseating.”

Thankfully, of the 350 books that I borrowed from my local library in 2017, there were only five novels that I didn't finish. I also read about 20 novels and non-fiction books acquired from charity shops and eBay. My voracious reading habit qualifies me as a Super Reader, by the criteria used in the article (hardly the most impressive name for a superhero, and which probably involves wearing comfy slippers as part of the outfit!).

When I returned to creative writing in 2013, I stopped borrowing library books for two years, afraid of being distracted and influenced by other authors' writing styles. Although I derived joy from my creativity, I also felt a part of my soul desiccate from a lack of stimulation that reading gives me, so I returned to scouring the shelves and requesting books.

I'll be 64 in a month, which means that, if I live to the quoted 84 in the article, I'll get through about 1,520 more books. This figure seems low to me, as I estimate I'll read 6,000—which isn't enough! :confused:

It's vital that we exercise our minds by reading, to become better writers, in the same way that athletes exercise their bodies. As William Faulkner advised:

Read everything—trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you'll find out.

How many books do you read a year?

How many books will you read before you die?

I've sometimes thought that dying while I was reading a favourite book, gently drifting away, would be a nice way to depart this life. Damn, I've lost my place!

f44bba8d715193ce143afe2fdc80a75c.jpg

Another Super Reader here. Right now I'm busy with Robert Harris' Conclave (ideal for Vatican conspiracy theorists!), Alice Munro's Dance of the Happy Shades (re-read), M R Hall's crime fiction Coroner, Han Kang's Human Acts; and two heavy scientific doomsday tomes on water resources engineering along with a manual on constructing a dry compost toilet. Day Zero is now 12 April 2018, when Cape Town becomes the first major global city to run out of water, a terrifying prospect. We are all becoming experts on drought, boreholes, potable spring water, and the horrors of sewage.

If I'm reading as an escapist, I don't ask much of my fiction. It needs to be slick, pacy and entertaining. If I am reading more serious fiction, I rarely give up on it. The problem is often to do with me misreading something or getting too impatient. I re-read a great deal and I read widely for research. Each year I go back to books I may have misjudged and give them second and third chances. I'm 19th-century that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greetings from yet another children's author

Software Upgrade

Back