Question: How I discovered my story

Status
Not open for further replies.

izi 出久

Basic
Feb 21, 2022
USA
The epic I am writing now and will be writing for the next decade, if I count all the side stories, has been brewing for a looooong time in the recesses of my brain. It didn't flesh out, though, until I started working on the characters, started living their lives, if you will, and then I was able to figure out what happened to them in the past and what they would do in the future. And now the story is flying around house and I'm trying to catch it before it hits a fan or falls in a pan or collides with a window.

My process for story development is closely linked to music. I love to sit for long periods and listen to music and get lost in stories based on something--a feeling, thought, theme, whatever--in the songs. All of my POV characters have been influenced by at least one Beth Crowley song.

And, of course, I watch people. You know. Normal creepy writer stuff.

Where do you find inspiration?

My previous story started because I love walking in wild places and trying to identify the flora (I'm already pretty good with birds) and finding out what healers used them for and the modern truth (if any) behind these remedies. One day, a girl popped into my imagination and told me she could tell me all about the plants because she used them to heal. Then, weirdly, the whole story, wolf and all, came into my head.

For my present WIP, a school friend's older sister had a nervous breakdown and set fire to their piano and consequently the whole west wing of their house. I was considering writing a novel featuring Fae and somehow that idea and this memory combined. Then I talked to the Fae king and he gave me the history of his world, and I knew just how to move this story forward. Hopefully, it works.

I love how you also talk to your characters. I'm not as crazy as I thought. Or we're both crazy.
I once ran the latest chapter of my WIP past my husband, as he was quite good at feedback, and he came back to me after he’d read it and he was really cross.
He said one of my characters ‘would never talk like that’ and to change it immediately.
I recall being equally cross back, and thinking ‘how would you know? I made him up!’.
But he was right. So even though I happily talked to my characters, it appears they only replied to him. And even then it was only to complain that I’d got them wrong.

I love how you also talk to your characters. I'm not as crazy as I thought. Or we're both crazy.
My characters usually have strong opinions about their stories. Sometimes I interview them outside the story so I can get their ideas. My own process is simple. It always starts with someone I don't know in a situation I don't know anything about, like a man stumbling through the snow in the middle of the night or someone going to visit a friend. Then I write down whatever happens, and after a while, I have a story. Or the story has me since I have to revise it.

Last edited:
I live in Italy. I like to walk at night in wild weather. (Or I did. The dog I've now acquired takes a dim view of that.)

One night in January or February, during the highest tides of the year, I was walking by the marina where the boats are hauled up out of the water for the winter. It was very cold. The rain was slashing down sideways and the surf was crashing right over the breakwater.

I had a sudden thought:
what kind of men can these navigators – Columbus & co – have been, who could set out in weather like this, in these tiny wooden ships, to sail off into the complete unknown..? Not even being certain they wouldn't sail right over the edge of the world.

If anyone has any ideas as to where I can sell the resulting novel, I'd love to know!
(It's not about Columbus. He might have been a moderately good navigator, but it's well recorded he was a despicable person.)

I've had a journey of ideas. They literally come from anywhere.

For the romance I wrote (first book ever), it was actually Pride and Prejudice.
For the fantasy I spent nearly 10 years practising with, deleting and rewriting, it was a love of dragons and wanting to explore Pride and Prejudice with them (not really a spark of inspiration).
For the thriller I planned and half wrote before realising fantasy was my jam, it was an unusual smoke cloud from a fire.
For my current fantasy, it was an online article about tax.
And for any mystery writers out there, I'm offering out my latest spark (and it might have been done and I've not read it). News headlines this time. Instead of 1 body, multiple bodies, but in their 20s. Just begs the question, what happened? @Serra K probably heard this story. Two sisters in their 20s found dead in their apartment: Two sisters in their 20s found dead inside Sydney unit had been there ‘some time’.

I should know about it, being a Sydney-sider, but I don't read the local news as often as I should. Had a read of the article and now I'm curious about the investigation.

Re: inspiration. It's a secret :writing-hand::zipper-mouth-face::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I don't either, but my carer does, and she talks as fast a scared bunny runs! She's a great gal though, so I don't mind :)

Very much still working it out! This thing I'm now trying to edit started with a bit of a feeling/atmosphere, and the idea of two mysterious characters turning up in the lives of another bunch of characters (whom I also knew not much about) and the compulsion to find out who they are and how this interaction affects them all. Not a lot to go on!

It seems to take some kind of shape as I write, but usually only in review, when I go back and pick out the patterns. It's like I can sort of see them all but through a fog, and I can't quite make out what they're doing or why, but if I commit to writing that as best I can I get occasional flashes of clarity. Sometimes I have a wakeful hour early in the morning, and I've had some brilliant epiphanies then, as my half-conscious picks among the rubble. I have spoken a bit to my characters but they don't really play the game. They just want to get on with their own preoccupations, regardless of story arc, and don't much want to chat about their innermost feelings.

On the whole I have to say it's a pretty frustrating process but when something falls into place it feels so good! Feels a bit like maybe archaeology, or courting the friendship of a wild horse, but I actually know nothing of either of those topics so who knows. (@Pamela Jo perhaps).

It's actually been really helpful to think this through, I often feel completely at sea with my process (such as it is) so thanks for the prompt!
(Love your signature, by the way!)

He w
I live in Italy. I like to walk at night in wild weather. (Or I did. The dog I've now acquired takes a dim view of that.)

One night in January or February, during the highest tides of the year, I was walking by the marina where the boats are hauled up out of the water for the winter. It was very cold. The rain was slashing down sideways and the surf was crashing right over the breakwater.

I had a sudden thought:
what kind of men can these navigators – Columbus & co – have been, who could set out in weather like this, in these tiny wooden ships, to sail off into the complete unknown..? Not even being certain they wouldn't sail right over the edge of the world.

If anyone has any ideas as to where I can sell the resulting novel, I'd love to know!
(It's not about Columbus. He might have been a moderately good navigator, but it's well recorded he was a despicable person.)
He was so despicable that the Spanish actually prosecuted him and his brother for his cruelty towards indigenous people. I'd say bring what my new favourite person Tiffany Yates Martin calls an X-ray to a Huddle and check your structure. You may need to make your stakes more clear, your character more sympathetic, your plot more exciting. The premise sounds good. I like the way Martin says that when laying out the plot get a 1st draft then ask yourself-OK how do I sweeten this deal? Tell yourself its gotta have more oomph and make it wilder. Repeat process 2 or 3 times. If a story isn't dog bites man, but man bites dog, then keep kicking it up a level until it's man bites jugular of rabid wolf-dog to save wife and newborn trapped in car by feral pack. Now THAT"S a story.

Last edited:
Very much still working it out! This thing I'm now trying to edit started with a bit of a feeling/atmosphere, and the idea of two mysterious characters turning up in the lives of another bunch of characters (whom I also knew not much about) and the compulsion to find out who they are and how this interaction affects them all. Not a lot to go on!

It seems to take some kind of shape as I write, but usually only in review, when I go back and pick out the patterns. It's like I can sort of see them all but through a fog, and I can't quite make out what they're doing or why, but if I commit to writing that as best I can I get occasional flashes of clarity. Sometimes I have a wakeful hour early in the morning, and I've had some brilliant epiphanies then, as my half-conscious picks among the rubble. I have spoken a bit to my characters but they don't really play the game. They just want to get on with their own preoccupations, regardless of story arc, and don't much want to chat about their innermost feelings.

On the whole I have to say it's a pretty frustrating process but when something falls into place it feels so good! Feels a bit like maybe archaeology, or courting the friendship of a wild horse, but I actually know nothing of either of those topics so who knows. (@Pamela Jo perhaps).

It's actually been really helpful to think this through, I often feel completely at sea with my process (such as it is) so thanks for the prompt!
(Love your signature, by the way!)
It is exactly the way readers are supposed to feel when they see the piece fall into place, I think. I just had that happen in One Magic Summer and it was well... magic. When getting the story out there is something I keep in mind that I learned from gardening. There is no garden without limitations. Otherwise it's just landscape. To create a garden you have to put in frames, boundaries, lines, windows. Limitations. Creativity actually thrives in tight spaces. Think Michelangelo's David. A flawed piece of marble that every other sculptur had rejected. It forced Michelangelo to come up with a solution. In that sense I think an artist/writers brain is very similar to an engineers. Define the problem. Begin spinning the Kaleidoscope into different patterns and combinations until the solution clicks into place. Feral horses are actually easier to train than ones that have been made neurotic by living among people and who never learned to be a horse. if you understand the social system, you can understand how to communicate. One of my favourite fellas because he actually admits he was wrong about horses and learned to kick it up to a new level.

I have vivid nighttime dreams. More than that...they are sometimes sequential. In other words, sometimes a new dream will pick up where a previous dream left off. It's like chapters in a book.

Yeah, I need help.

A few years ago, I had a series of dreams about writing a novel. I didn't take it seriously, at first. After the third dream I started writing stuff down. In the final dream, I'm looking at Amazon reviews of my work.

Other than tech documents, I've not authored anything in my life. I'm not at all creative, have zero friends, and no prerequisite at all for dialogue or plotting. Yet here I am attempting to write a novel because of a few dreams.

Seriously...lots of help.

:oops:

Feral horses are actually easier to train than ones that have been made neurotic by living among people and who never learned to be a horse. if you understand the social system, you can understand how to communicate. One of my favourite fellas because he actually admits he was wrong about horses and learned to kick it up to a new level.
Wow. This video made me tear up a bit. Thank you for sharing. Remembering back to the mustang my parents used to have that bolted on occasion. I'm not sure if he was raised in captivity or not, but I'm thinking of him now.

Oh yes, this is what my story brain is like
You know what the solution is for horses like that? Turn them lose with a coherent herd who will teach them, nicely at first then progressing to pinned ears followed by a kick until they get the social rules. The video is where the poor mustang finally got feedback on how to survive in his new world. Everything made sense to him for the first time. I'm listening to Tiffany Yates Martin, simultaneously with Peak, the psychology of excellence. Turns out people who become very good at what they do need feedback. Directed practice. If you just practice by yourself in a vacuum you can't calibrate what is good and what is bad. You exist in your own echo chamber. Come to a Huddle. It may not be comfortable, but it will be a valuable experience.

It is exactly the way readers are supposed to feel when they see the piece fall into place, I think. I just had that happen in One Magic Summer and it was well... magic. When getting the story out there is something I keep in mind that I learned from gardening. There is no garden without limitations. Otherwise it's just landscape. To create a garden you have to put in frames, boundaries, lines, windows. Limitations. Creativity actually thrives in tight spaces. Think Michelangelo's David. A flawed piece of marble that every other sculptur had rejected. It forced Michelangelo to come up with a solution. In that sense I think an artist/writers brain is very similar to an engineers. Define the problem. Begin spinning the Kaleidoscope into different patterns and combinations until the solution clicks into place. Feral horses are actually easier to train than ones that have been made neurotic by living among people and who never learned to be a horse. if you understand the social system, you can understand how to communicate. One of my favourite fellas because he actually admits he was wrong about horses and learned to kick it up to a new level.

I love stuff like this. My son used to do equine therapy, and watching horse and boy learning together was magical.

Turns out people who become very good at what they do need feedback. Directed practice. If you just practice by yourself in a vacuum you can't calibrate what is good and what is bad.
Yes, this!

You know what the solution is for horses like that? Turn them lose with a coherent herd who will teach them, nicely at first then progressing to pinned ears followed by a kick until they get the social rules. The video is where the poor mustang finally got feedback on how to survive in his new world. Everything made sense to him for the first time. I'm listening to Tiffany Yates Martin, simultaneously with Peak, the psychology of excellence. Turns out people who become very good at what they do need feedback. Directed practice. If you just practice by yourself in a vacuum you can't calibrate what is good and what is bad. You exist in your own echo chamber. Come to a Huddle. It may not be comfortable, but it will be a valuable experience.
I will do, but I'm not at the right stage yet! :)

What brews in the recesses of our brains? Hopefully not madness, although, this publishing business can add to the flavor.

This is why studies were done on psychotropic medications to figure out whether or not they also impact creativity. The results were pretty obvious. I was watching Angel at my Table about Janet Frame. That woman came through psychiatric institutions with her creativity in tact, thank god.
My one consolation for the possibility of getting old and dotty is that I might be freed to become a fantastic artist. Can't draw a flyspeck now. Equine therapy is indeed cool. I know one story a therapist told me about a family session. The father was up-tight and controlling but refusing to own it. The parents and child were told to sit on chairs in an arena where the horse was loose. First thing the horse did was go over and knock the father's hat off. Target identified. Now I'll go look up Janet Frame. Oh Yes, I have read about her. My youngest was a late talker, when he did it was in images. I wish I'd written some of them down. I cracked the code when he said he wanted some cloud on his cake. I was busy and irritable pointed to the clouds outside the window. In tears he led me to the fridge and the whipped cream. I knew enough linguistics to know about the gorilla who invented her own words from images. This is probably one of the earliest neural language adaptations. When we read we still see a fleeting image when we write or read a word. If we don't that can be a reading disability. So when th GP in England told me he was probably schizophrenic I told him to shove his ignorant opinion where the sun does not reach. My little boy was just born with a poets brain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back