Craft Chat How Do You Start Your Writing Day?

Pamela Jo

I've been reading on maximizing your brain and creativity etc. Plopping down in front of the laptop and scrolling thru reels on FB isnt the right thing to do apparently. Having to go out and feed the mule foal at dawn has forced me to smell the first morning air and I would say it would be more conducive to writing than the morning news online. (UGHHH) But it's JULY and the last chance really I have to get all the garden and housework done. It's supposed to be the sunniest warmest month in Ireland. OK, it's not, but if I don't clean and organise now-then it's a winter with dust bunnies the size of Trump's ego. So not writing at the moment. However am sending out queries. Inc. a full hardcopy manuscript to a publisher just like a real old-timey writer.

So anyway-what's your routine. What works and doesn't for you?

Last edited:
First rule, feed the animals. Then coffee and think about how nice it would be to just curl up and take a nap. For me it's winter, so next spend some time bitching about the cold, then consider a shower but who am I kidding? I got research to do, so it's coffee at the desk. Hunting down my next point of interest. If I'm lucky I'll find something I've been searching for. By this stage I have to play with the dogs cos they're ready to burn off some steam. After that I think about taking a shower again because for god's sake I must stink. But no, it's gotta be another coffee and time for some actual writing. Oh shit, the dogs wanna play again. Okay that's fine but how about the cats? Do they need some cuddles? Probably. Project cuddle. It's about lunchtime now. I should eat...hmmm toasted sandwich? I mean, you can put almost anything between two slices of bread. Oh now it's time to take the dogs for a walk. That'll take some time. And it's cold so I'll just clench my teeth and do it. By this stage I feel really ready to get some work done. Dogs are napping, the air-conditioning is just right at 25°C I can probably get some shit done now. But all I wanna do is read. Hey, reading is writing. Right? Shake it off. You got this. Fingers to keys. Tap tap tap. Okay I got two paragraphs. But they were good paragraphs. I'm gonna keep them.

I almost never have days of "just writing." If that's the case, I grab my laptop and move the action to a local coffee shop and keep going until something forces me to vacate the table. When that happens, I head to the gym and when I'm finished with that, the whole cycle begins again and repeats until dinner time.

When I am doing recipes, I start by making sure my camera batteries are charged and I have a fresh memory card. Then, after a stop at the gym, I head out to the grocery store and get needed ingredients. After that and before the cooking, I take a nap in order to gather my strength. And finally, I do the cooking/testing/photographing. I'll process the photos and update the recipe texts later the same evening.

Finally, there are those days when I have to go into the field. This means lots of driving and/or train riding. For these moments, I get the camera ready the night before so I can get out as soon as possible. When I get there, I do what I have to; shoot photos, take notes, and record some audio. No matter how far, during the trip home, I'll drive 30 or 40 minutes, stop and type for 30 or 40 minutes and repeat until the day is done.

Of course, there are huddles, doctor's appointments, and believe it or not - social engagements. It should go without saying that I bend over backwards to do as little housework as possible.

Aaron Sorkin said (something like) when he's writing it looks a lot like he's just watching CNN. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

It used to be I'd start my day with yoga, then breakfast, then write until something like needing to pee or eat again made me stop. But the older I get the less structured my day has become. I'm a lot happier living a bit looser. But I think I've let that slide into a free-for-all kind of life. Fun, but maybe it's time to look for a bit of a balance between pirate and disciplined?

Last edited:
Aaron Sorkin said (something like) when he's writing it looks a lot like he's just watching CNN. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

It used to be I'd start my day with yoga, then breakfast, then write until something like needing to pee or eat again made me stop. But the older I get the less structured my day has become. I'm a lot happier living a bit looser. But I think I've let that slide into a free-for-all kind of life. Fun, but maybe it's time to look for a bit of a balance between pirate and disciplined?
I'm feeling the same. I would like to wake up -get outside for something physical, come in write for 2.5 hours then do life until evening when I write until sleep overcomes me. Now it's more piratical as you say. Except on deadline when I am totally immersed. I have a bad feeling that is the only way I can do first drafts...

I have a job in real life that gets in the way. 10-7 four days a week.
I get up at 7ish and get straight to writing to try and do as much as I can before work. Breakfast while I write - grapefruit and a slice of toast, glass of water. No coffee for a number of reasons.
I carry my WIP in my head and on my phone and can dip in and out in snatches throughout the day when I get chance - only if I think of the odd word here or there that needs changing, I don't get chance to do any actual writing, but it helps to have it to hand. It's probably not healthy, though.
I try to get up at the same time on my days off, but I go to the gym for an hour first. I wish I could do this every day because it really focuses me for writing after, but when it's a choice between gym, sleep or writing, gym is usually third on the list.

Walk the dog. Drink water. Make my list for the day. Work out. Make a large cup of tea. Dive into research or notes that I have written down over last 24 hours and then sit down to write. I usually hit emails and social media around lunch.

Back