Help! how do i narrow down what to write?

Rejection from agent's new assistant reader

Question: For our Antipodeans, a time-difference question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooke

Basic
Mar 3, 2023
Georgia
so, i hate to come and dump all my miniscule writing problems on litopia, but... here i am once again!
lately i've been having a sort of writer's existential crisis. i think what's keeping me paralyzed and staring at the blank page, never actually putting any words down, is the potential words i could put down.
basically, i have a lot of ideas -- some just stray ideas scribbled on sticky notes, and some full-blown, fully-plotted novels in my head. i think i'm having trouble deciding what to write, not because nothing's coming to mind, but because too much is coming to mind. i have no idea how i'm going to focus on one single story for at least a few years, when i won't be able to stop thinking about what another idea had that this one doesn't.
it seems that the cycle begins with me getting completely enamored with my story, like a writer should be -- every day is filled with thoughts of writing, writing, writing, plotting, plotting, plotting, and it's bliss. i've finally found the one great story i was certainly meant to write... for about a month or so. then i start "cheating" on my book idea -- i read a great novel about a different topic and daydream about how good it would be to write one of those, or i spent a week engrossed in a completely different idea than what i've already decided on.
by the time i shake myself awake and give myself the pep-talk on dedication and perseverance and whatnot, i focus on my story again... and this time, i can't stop from pointing out little disappointing threads or frayed knots in my allegedly-perfect sweater. i'm picking at it and picking at it, hemming and hawing at the color and the material and, "is it even right for this weather? who would like a sweater like this? y'know what, this is pretty itchy anyway, and i've got a whole closet full of perfectly good shirts, like... hey, this one looks good! i'm sure this shirt will be the most perfect piece of fashion anyone's ever laid eyes on. i'm sure of it this time!"

repeat cycle. (still talking about books!)
every time.

okay, so what i'm asking is, how do i manage to firmly decide on one thing to write as my debut book, and make sure i'm not going to just jump into another thing a couple days, weeks, even months later?

Write the ideas down, and make them short stories. Even if they're all told the way a synopsis would be told, or if it's a simple paragraph of one little thing, write them down. There will come a day when you remember that piece, that thing, and can put it to good use.
You can also write short stories that may lead to some of the bigger ideas. Short stories are easier to see the end, and can be completed to first draft within a shorter time-frame, thereby not wasting years of life with something that becomes 'work' within a short period of time.
Write them down, journal them, turn them into short stories. Keep the ideas coming until one of them won't let go and then work on that one.

so, i hate to come and dump all my miniscule writing problems on litopia, but... here i am once again!
lately i've been having a sort of writer's existential crisis. i think what's keeping me paralyzed and staring at the blank page, never actually putting any words down, is the potential words i could put down.
basically, i have a lot of ideas -- some just stray ideas scribbled on sticky notes, and some full-blown, fully-plotted novels in my head. i think i'm having trouble deciding what to write, not because nothing's coming to mind, but because too much is coming to mind. i have no idea how i'm going to focus on one single story for at least a few years, when i won't be able to stop thinking about what another idea had that this one doesn't.
it seems that the cycle begins with me getting completely enamored with my story, like a writer should be -- every day is filled with thoughts of writing, writing, writing, plotting, plotting, plotting, and it's bliss. i've finally found the one great story i was certainly meant to write... for about a month or so. then i start "cheating" on my book idea -- i read a great novel about a different topic and daydream about how good it would be to write one of those, or i spent a week engrossed in a completely different idea than what i've already decided on.
by the time i shake myself awake and give myself the pep-talk on dedication and perseverance and whatnot, i focus on my story again... and this time, i can't stop from pointing out little disappointing threads or frayed knots in my allegedly-perfect sweater. i'm picking at it and picking at it, hemming and hawing at the color and the material and, "is it even right for this weather? who would like a sweater like this? y'know what, this is pretty itchy anyway, and i've got a whole closet full of perfectly good shirts, like... hey, this one looks good! i'm sure this shirt will be the most perfect piece of fashion anyone's ever laid eyes on. i'm sure of it this time!"

every time.

okay, so what i'm asking is, how do i manage to firmly decide on one thing to write as my debut book, and make sure i'm not going to just jump into another thing a couple days, weeks, even months later?
I keep all my other story ideas in a folder. Sometimes, when I'm a bit stuck, or bored, with the current WIP, I go and have a fling with one of my side-WIPs. I have 4 or 5 started stories going, but until I'm finished (or given up on) the current one, my full attention is never theirs.

What works for me is to step back and become a reader. What story do I want? Or imagine I'm on a long train journey with a friend who's blind-and bored. To entertain the friend I begin to tell them the story I have in my head. If it's a child I'm telling the story to ( and boy did I do that often on long journeys) then of course it's a different story. I think this helps because when you know who your reader is (the blind friend) you begin to see how to tell the story and the structure begins to form. Then maybe just discipline yourself to finish that story. Discipline is the most under-rated necessity of creativity. We think of creativity as letting go and being free and expressing ourselves-but in the end it takes discipline to persevere and finish when we prefer to butterfly on to the next idea.

Last edited:
You have lots of ideas? Fantastic.
Do exactly what you’re doing and write them down in a folder.
I know a writer (who has about 80 published books under her belt now) and she always has a folder of new ideas to jump into when she finishes a book.

I suspect the only thing that is keeping you from sticking to one idea is youth. When I was young (and an artist, not a writer) I almost never finished a project before the irresistible pull of a new one had distracted me onto that instead. I’d only finish if I had some sort of imposed deadline (like it was a birthday present).

But after my second son was born I became extremely ill and ended up with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Instead of having the energy to ‘play’ with all my ideas, I found I could do almost nothing. Eventually, I learned to choose one small thing per year, and make it my goal to complete that. I learned to archive the ideas and FOCUS on one. But I had to learn it, it didn’t come naturally.

So, in answer to your question, ‘how do i manage to firmly decide on one thing to write as my debut book, and make sure i'm not going to just jump into another thing a couple days, weeks, even months later?’ The answer is simple - you choose not to. And I DO appreciate that for those of us with butterfly minds, it may be simple, but it is not easy.

You WILL want to jump into that other shiny, new thing, that isn’t written yet, as it shows soooo much promise. You will want to, for sure. But you can choose not to.

Think of your ideas as a room full of children, all clamouring for your attention. But one of them, the eldest, needs to get through their exams so they can leave for Uni. That is the kid that needs your time and attention - for now. Pat the others on the head (by writing all the ideas into your folder) and promise them you’ll get to them soon. ALL of them will get their turn. And then return to that eldest one.

Now, it may be the ‘eldest’ is not the best story. It may be that one of the ‘folder’ ideas is the book that will make your name. That’s fine. But by getting one book done - from start to finish - you will learn so much now, that you can use to inform and create your masterpiece later.

And remember this. Once the first draft of something is completed, the real work starts. There are endless editing rewrites, and getting beta-readings, and sorting through feedback from the group.
And don’t we always say to people ‘stick it in a drawer for six months, if you can, so you’ll have fresh eyes on it’?

So you can put book A out for feedback, and leave it alone for a bit. And while that’s happening, what better time to go to that folder, pick your favourite idea, and start plotting your next book? When you finish plotting book B you can pop that into the drawer, and return to book A. You will be much more objective about it after having had a small break.

Visual artists often work on more than one canvas at a time. The trick is being immersed ONLY in the one you’re working, on whilst you’re working on it. Sort of mentally shut the door on the playroom of noisy kids. Because they will all get their turn.

Now, the other reasons you might be getting thrown off course are those little buggers, self-doubt and prevarication. They’re the naughty kids who’ve just climbed on the furniture to draw on the walls, pulled down the curtain pole, and then puked on the cat.

Are you letting too many ‘this isn’t good enough’ thoughts get in and divert you? Or too many thoughts of ‘I’m bored with this, so others are bound to be too,’ do the same?

Ignore them. They are little shits and don’t know what they are talking about. Nothing you’ve worked on for ten solid months will seem as exciting, or fresh, or interesting as the other ideas you haven’t slogged over. That is human nature. I promise you will get excited about it again after a break.

And Brooke - hold onto this….

Trust your talent - you have it in spades.

You have lots of ideas? Fantastic.
Do exactly what you’re doing and write them down in a folder.
I know a writer (who has about 80 published books under her belt now) and she always has a folder of new ideas to jump into when she finishes a book.

I suspect the only thing that is keeping you from sticking to one idea is youth. When I was young (and an artist, not a writer) I almost never finished a project before the irresistible pull of a new one had distracted me onto that instead. I’d only finish if I had some sort of imposed deadline (like it was a birthday present).

But after my second son was born I became extremely ill and ended up with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Instead of having the energy to ‘play’ with all my ideas, I found I could do almost nothing. Eventually, I learned to choose one small thing per year, and make it my goal to complete that. I learned to archive the ideas and FOCUS on one. But I had to learn it, it didn’t come naturally.

So, in answer to your question, ‘how do i manage to firmly decide on one thing to write as my debut book, and make sure i'm not going to just jump into another thing a couple days, weeks, even months later?’ The answer is simple - you choose not to. And I DO appreciate that for those of us with butterfly minds, it may be simple, but it is not easy.

You WILL want to jump into that other shiny, new thing, that isn’t written yet, as it shows soooo much promise. You will want to, for sure. But you can choose not to.

Think of your ideas as a room full of children, all clamouring for your attention. But one of them, the eldest, needs to get through their exams so they can leave for Uni. That is the kid that needs your time and attention - for now. Pat the others on the head (by writing all the ideas into your folder) and promise them you’ll get to them soon. ALL of them will get their turn. And then return to that eldest one.

Now, it may be the ‘eldest’ is not the best story. It may be that one of the ‘folder’ ideas is the book that will make your name. That’s fine. But by getting one book done - from start to finish - you will learn so much now, that you can use to inform and create your masterpiece later.

And remember this. Once the first draft of something is completed, the real work starts. There are endless editing rewrites, and getting beta-readings, and sorting through feedback from the group.
And don’t we always say to people ‘stick it in a drawer for six months, if you can, so you’ll have fresh eyes on it’?

So you can put book A out for feedback, and leave it alone for a bit. And while that’s happening, what better time to go to that folder, pick your favourite idea, and start plotting your next book? When you finish plotting book B you can pop that into the drawer, and return to book A. You will be much more objective about it after having had a small break.

Visual artists often work on more than one canvas at a time. The trick is being immersed ONLY in the one you’re working, on whilst you’re working on it. Sort of mentally shut the door on the playroom of noisy kids. Because they will all get their turn.

Now, the other reasons you might be getting thrown off course are those little buggers, self-doubt and prevarication. They’re the naughty kids who’ve just climbed on the furniture to draw on the walls, pulled down the curtain pole, and then puked on the cat.

Are you letting too many ‘this isn’t good enough’ thoughts get in and divert you? Or too many thoughts of ‘I’m bored with this, so others are bound to be too,’ do the same?

Ignore them. They are little shits and don’t know what they are talking about. Nothing you’ve worked on for ten solid months will seem as exciting, or fresh, or interesting as the other ideas you haven’t slogged over. That is human nature. I promise you will get excited about it again after a break.

And Brooke - hold onto this….

Trust your talent - you have it in spades.
Bev in my household it was always the cat doing the puking, but a brilliant snapshot of how to tame the inner chaos. Boy do I wish I had kept a notebook with all those brilliant ideas I had when a teenager. Iw as told by a writer back then -keep a journal. You'll wonder what being a teenager was like someday. I didnt have the discipline. Those who have managed to keep a journal over the years have given themselves a massive gift.

how do i manage to firmly decide on one thing to write as my debut book
You don't need to, though it is probably easier that way.

I have one main WiP, one guilty side-hustle (it was the previous WiP, but the characters haven't really taken off yet) and one growing collection of short 'macabre and mysterious' stories. I add to that collection every now and then. This sort of works for me, though I can't say it's a wonderful way to do it. It's certainly slow.

If you really need to get it down to just one, there's always the coin-tossing trick.
BUT it's not how the coin comes down, the one it points to, that's the important thing: it's how you feel about it. If you think: 'But I don't really want to do this one; I'd rather do the one set in space', then it's shown you what you are really feeling.

every time.

I’m commiserating…I am a voracious reader which can definitely add fodder for the flames. One trick is to create style sheets or card files for all the brilliant ideas, quotes, lyrics, etc that spark our minds. That way I can re-visit or ignore and stay on track with current story.

I love your line about “cheating” on your book—it’s wonderful to have all those ideas ginning away in your mill. Grab the shiniest one that still speaks to you days and weeks later to incorporate in your current WIP. HAVE FAITH in your writerly warrior self!

Brooke,
Firstly, it is OK to have several simultaneous projects. In fact, as you can see from the earlier posts, this is exactly how most writers operate. It is also OK not to finish things. I have written four books and am near the end of a new one. And yet, I have never completed my very first novel. One third into it I realized that I simply did not have enough life experience to pull it off. This brings me to my second point: your debut novel should be fun and fairly easy to write. If it is not, you will probably never finish it or, and that's a real bummer, it will not be fun and easy to read. So, try, give up and try again. Find the story that flows naturally and effortlessly out of you, find a song that matches your voice.

Brooke, here's what works for me. Maybe it will give you an idea. I see this as a management problem. How do I manage my time and my story ideas?

Your imagination is full of ideas but needs to settle down and work on one of them. Fine. Pick one and start writing it. Give yourself a fixed amount of time to work on it everyday. If you can, put it on your calendar. Consider that story managed. However long it takes, you will finish writing it. And it will be good.

Now, how to manage all the story ideas that flood your brain (mine, too)? Some people like writing ideas in a notebook, or on sheets of paper kept in a file. I have a lot of ideas and don't always have paper to write on. I used to carry around a notebook, but that got to be a nuisance. Now, I make notes on my phone. That backs them up to the Cloud, so they are automatically on my computer. This lets me manage all the story ideas. Or at least I don't lose them.

But what happens if a story demands to be written right now? I have my fixed amount of time for the story I will finish writing or die trying, the main one, but I also have time for the wild ones that need immediate attention. Maybe just a few minutes, but I am not going to tell a story to go away and not bother me while I finish writing a novel. What has happened so far is that I write a few words, maybe a lot (one is at 106,000 words that just gushed out of my imagination), and then the energy to write that story fades, and I plod on with the main one. Or maybe get caught up with another new idea.

I'm writing this as much for myself as for you.

1. Work on the main story everyday.
2. Write down all story ideas in a safe place.
3. Allow time for spontaneous writing and stories that feel urgent to write.

And schedule time for your writing. I schedule it on my calendar, just like I would any other important meeting. I don't want to stand up the Muse.

Chances are the first book you write won't be your debut novel. So you can take that pressure off yourself. Just write a book to learn how to write a book. Don't worry about what will happen when you finish it. Just finish it, complete with rewrites, as that's where you learn the most. What will probably happen when you do finish it, is that you'll write the next one. So think of it as a long game, not a one-shot. You'll get to write all your ideas, in time. Doesn't really matter what comes first.

I think writers in general have a ton of ideas. I have a list of "next books" worked out in various degrees. But then I pick the one where the characters are talking to me the loudest, or the fascinating core idea for the book continues to fascinate and haunt me. And I just start that one. Try not to overthink it. Just dive in. Get immersed. If it doesn't hold your attention, consider why, and use that to make your book better. Keep at it, keep revising, keep brainstorming on that one idea. Use a particular style of music, or brand of tea, or a favorite blanket, or a spot in the house, or anything to keep you grounded in that story. That thing means you're working on that story.

Flitting Brain Syndrome (yeah, I made that up) is common. It's hard to focus, even harder to stay focused. It takes practice and discipline, which are both needed to write a book. So if you want to be a novelist, like really really really want that, despite the nay-saying from that evil little voice who taunts you, then tell it to shut up and stop distracting you, find a way to master FBS, and write with gusto!

Here's some advice on getting started and preparing to write from Brandon Sanderson and some of his writer friends :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here's some advice on getting started and preparing to write from Brandon Sanderson and some of his writer friends :rolleyes:

This episode is parody, but Sanderson and his friends offer excellent advice. I went back to the first episodes and have been listening to them in chronological order. Unfortunately, the archive of years 1-6 is temporarily unavailable, so start with 7.

every time.

I'm late to the party. Everyone has already said what I intended to say to you. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejection from agent's new assistant reader

Question: For our Antipodeans, a time-difference question

Back