• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! Hi from a thriller writer

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!
LitBits
Hi all. I'm Ian and live in Worcestershire in the UK. I've worked in the high-tech electronics industry for my whole career, mainly leading the teams that design products like radios and mobile phones. I love reading and writing thrillers, so am very much at the genre end of commercial fiction. I've just finished self-editing my second novel, Backlash. My first thriller, Eavesdrop, was runner-up in a couple of competitions and was then published by a small US press. Unfortunately, they withdrew from the fiction market the other year, so I'm back to the long hard slog of finding a publisher for my current book.

My website's here: iancoatesthrillers.co.uk.

In case you're interested, my first book is on Amazon

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Hello, Ian, and welcome! Delighted you found us. Your experience in the electronic industry must help add great detail to your thrillers. I'm sure you'll find lots of like-minded people here on Litopia. We're a mixed bunch, which makes for lively discussions and lots of different styles and genres of writing.

Once you get to know the place, check out the Workshops. Remember, don't be shy about offering your own critiques of others' work. Your opinions as a reader are as valid and important as anyone else's. As many members will testify, we learn a lot from critiquing others' work, too.

You can always submit the first 700 words of your own work to Pop-Ups if you'd like some advice on the beginning. That's on YouTube, Sunday evenings. There's excellent advice every week on writing and publishing in general. You'd pay a lot of money for the editorial advice our guests give for free.

I'm one of the Guardians on Litopia. If you have any questions, please get in touch. I look forward to seeing you around the Colony! :)

Hi @Ian Coates Thrillers

A warm welcome to Litopia.

There are plenty of thriller fans and writers here, and I'm sure you'll fit right in.

In the coming days you'll receive daily messages telling more about the Colony and its many forums, but for now just browse around and feel free to get involved.

Litopia is a friendly and supportive community and we have lots of people happy to give and receive advice on works in progress. You'll get the most from the Colony with a two-way exchange and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how beneficial offering critiques on the works of others is for your own work.

Here's a great place to start and help you find some of the things you might like to get involved with. How-to Guide

If there's anything you're unsure about please drop me a message and I'll be happy to help.

Back