• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Dandelion Break Here’s A Fascinating Operating System For The Dystopia-Minded…

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
United-Nations
Collapse OS is a real operating system – a variant of Linux – created to be used in a post-apocalyptic world. So if you’re a prepper, or if you write about that sort of Mad Max scenario, you might be interested.

The tech details are intriguing. The assumption is that most state-of-the-art tech will not work any more – say goodbye to yer Google watches, OK? – because it’s simply too vulnerable to supply chain breakdown and platform crash. The key thing, if you’re determined to get some form of computing going post-cataclysm, is scavenging. So yes, you’ll be able to find and loot such antiques as 6502 and Z80 processors, the things I first learnt to code on all those decades ago, and throw them together to make some form of basic (no pun intended) computer. There won’t be any internet, of course, but you certainly could set up some form of local network, depending on your scavenging and soldering skills.

The guy who created it has clearly thought about his best-use scenarios. Let’s hope you never need it!

I've posted a blog about dystopian fiction this very morning which is currently pending review! There's definitely a story in this, Pete...

Yes, I thought so too!

His use-case scenario is interesting. Altho I mentioned Mad Max, that isn’t, in fact, his projected use:

There are two important stages of collapse. The first one is when the global supply chain is broken and the second one is when, in a particular community, the last modern computer dies.”

What he’s preparing for isn’t an extreme, extinction-level event. It’s more nuanced. A gradual degradation of the supply chain to the state where only local communities function, and even then, not very well.

That scenario could be feasible if the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (AMOC) dies. It is, in fact, collapsing… but the time-scale is highly uncertain. If you want to scare yourself, some of the recent predictions are pretty alarming.

The impact on the UK would be a reversion to continental-type weather, i.e. much colder, far less rain. What would happen to our food supply at that point is… scary. Get yourself on the waiting list for allotments :)

Back