Hello world

Random Title Creator

R

Audio for my book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, such a cool idea. But that's got to take a fair while!? Still. I'm gonna give that a go tomorrow. Let you know...
This is where I always bring up my Story: The Soundtrack idea.

I pick songs from movie soundtracks that fit scenes from my book perfectly, and put them together into a CD. Usually a book runs 3 CDs, and I make track names, do cover art — the whole deal. Then I can listen to the soundtracks and get a feel for the pacing and emotion through the music — is the energy too low for too long, or two high — and the track listings work as a good plot outline.

Just looking up some ideas, and need a quick x-check: do you read your work aloud, and mix in the soundtrack? How do you match the timing... does the soundtrack span the whole piece, every word?

Welcome and what an exciting intro - love your writing already!

Snap on the method of finding Litopia. My Writers' and Artists' Year book 2014 is still sitting on my shelf. I've got the children's version too as I'm focusing on MG sci-fi series.

Lovely to read you :D and you reminded me of the days when we studied the speeds of galaxies. Of course as undergraduates, we already had the data just had to get our heads round the bloomin' reams of print out. Then final year we studied the magnetic fields of the outer planets using the data from Voyager 2 or was the 1? It was so long ago I can't even remember! It might have been both :) We researched under Professor Michele Dougherty tutelage and guidance. She is now the inspiration behind one of my characters in my book.

Oh man! This is bringing back some nostalgic feelings.:oops:

Hi all, I'm Robin.

Who am I? Well -- surprise, surprise -- I like to think I'm a writer. Naturally, I also have a day job :) ; I run the stakeholder management team (communications, PR, customer management, and various other nefarious duties required to get our evil doings done), at an air traffic control centre somewhere in deepest, darkest Europe.

My background is mixed - I won a few prizes as a kid for creative writing, but then decided there wasn't much future employment opportunity in the English field, so I went on to study Astrophysics. That was a major lesson in life. Just because you're pretty good at maths and physics, and you have an interest in astronomy, doesn't mean those aspects should be combined.
(Only much later did I discover Alastair Reynolds' solution for combining prosaic science with real prose).

Do you have any idea how boring it is, spending months gathering sufficient data until you are able to calculate the temperature of a star 222.8 light years from Earth? Well, for me, it was incredibly boring. I mean, who really cares? So boring indeed, that I decided to do something much more interesting -- that is, ensure that aircraft travelling with 1000mph closing speeds don't actually close.

Now this was fun; video games with people's lives, if you like. Air traffic control.

Lots of stories (some comical, some more leaning towards the horror genre) from a career 'pushing tin' for fifteen years, or so. Then, typically for me, I decided I was bored again, so I went into development and later, management roles (up to my current post).

Throughout all of those years I kept writing. I've lost track of the number of short stories and novels I've started/sort of completed. One of the great benefits of life as a shift working controller, is plenty of time off to read and write! Writing has remained my passion, my hobby; perhaps because it's so damn hard to get it right.

I took a few creative writing courses, and I've read many books on the writing craft in the meantime -- my favourite being a book by Walter Mosley, closely followed by Stephen King's legendary guide. At a certain point, I decided that the biggest weakness I had, was exposition. I needed to make my writing much tighter, and since (perhaps you get the idea by now), I was bored at work, I signed up and completed a Law degree over several years. Hard work, but I do think it helped.

Subsequently I wrote a number of short stories; a recent effort called "The Apothecary's Tale" was published in the British Fantasy Society Journal at the end of last year. It's an allegorical agitprop, about the life and death of the United States, based upon my experiences travelling around that beautiful country for several months at a time.

That success spurred me on, and I persevered with an idea I'd had rattling around for a while. And this time, I was determined to push myself through not just the fun creative parts, but also the 'boring' editing and redrafting too. I've now completed draft nine of a 100,000 word novel called... well, actually, I don't know what to call it yet, but that's part of the reason I'm here... , which is a post-apocalyptic thriller with, again, a background of an allegorical agitprop.

Which brings me to today, and my membership here. I was wading through the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook recently, when I came across Redhammer Management (literary agency) and Peter's advice: come to Litopia. And my hope is that here, I can learn a little more, gain more valuable feedback, until I'm pushed off the edge and sending 'Whatever it's called' out to agents. That's the plan.

Good plan. But now what do I do?
Greetings to all.

Welcome, welcome, welcome :)
Sorry I missed this thread when you posted it. I've been run off my feet this last few weeks. Worth it though :)

Have you had your writing read by beta readers? If not, that's the first port of call before agenting. We all get a little blind to our own work so beta readers help you notice what you missed 17 times already :)

I have SOOOOO much love and appreciation for my beta readers. @Jason Byrne @Jennifer Stone @Stephen Drake @David Steele you know I'm looking at you guys :)
After you have gone back and forth with beta readers (and friends and family) then do one last edit and start querying. Hope this helps xx

Welcome and what an exciting intro - love your writing already!

Snap on the method of finding Litopia. My Writers' and Artists' Year book 2014 is still sitting on my shelf. I've got the children's version too as I'm focusing on MG sci-fi series.

Lovely to read you :D and you reminded me of the days when we studied the speeds of galaxies. Of course as undergraduates, we already had the data just had to get our heads round the bloomin' reams of print out. Then final year we studied the magnetic fields of the outer planets using the data from Voyager 2 or was the 1? It was so long ago I can't even remember! It might have been both :) We researched under Professor Michele Dougherty tutelage and guidance. She is now the inspiration behind one of my characters in my book.

Oh man! This is bringing back some nostalgic feelings.:oops:

Nostalgia's old-fashioned these days ;). Thank you, too, for the warm welcome. I'm enjoying looking through the old threads. A gold mine.

Welcome, welcome, welcome :)
Sorry I missed this thread when you posted it. I've been run off my feet this last few weeks. Worth it though :)

Have you had your writing read by beta readers? If not, that's the first port of call before agenting. We all get a little blind to our own work so beta readers help you notice what you missed 17 times already :)

I have SOOOOO much love and appreciation for my beta readers. @Jason Byrne @Jennifer Stone @Stephen Drake @David Steele you know I'm looking at you guys :)
After you have gone back and forth with beta readers (and friends and family) then do one last edit and start querying. Hope this helps xx

Yes, congratulations to you! And thanks for the welcome, of course. On the topic of beta readers, how does that work on Litopia? What's the appropriate etiquette? Just ask people at random, or try those on your list with suitably begging tones? Appreciated.

After you've been here a little while, you can post work up in something called The Houses, and get feedback from any or all. Meantime, people help each other out in the Back Room or behind the scenes on a reciprocal, individual basis. Give yourself a bit of time to see whose writing interests are what, and who might be best equipped.

Yes, congratulations to you! And thanks for the welcome, of course. On the topic of beta readers, how does that work on Litopia? What's the appropriate etiquette? Just ask people at random, or try those on your list with suitably begging tones? Appreciated.

Thank you very much :D

I second what @Jennifer Stone recommended. The group I mentioned all read for each other and for a few otherseconds besides. At present I have @Nicole Wilson s book and some shorts by @Meerkat plus @Jason Byrne s 2nd book having just completed his first one.

What sort of length are we talking for yours?

Thank you very much :D

I second what @Jennifer Stone recommended. The group I mentioned all read for each other and for a few otherseconds besides. At present I have @Nicole Wilson s book and some shorts by @Meerkat plus @Jason Byrne s 2nd book having just completed his first one.

What sort of length are we talking for yours?

About 100k.
Okay, I'll keep looking about. Learnt a bit already, anyway. Haven't done so well with the @Jason Byrne method of pacing though. So far I've got twenty minutes of Schindler's List soundtrack, buffered with Rage Against the Machine on a loop :)

After you've been here a little while, you can post work up in something called The Houses, and get feedback from any or all. Meantime, people help each other out in the Back Room or behind the scenes on a reciprocal, individual basis. Give yourself a bit of time to see whose writing interests are what, and who might be best equipped.

Ah! The mythical Houses. I wondered where they were. Okay, thanks, and I will do so...

@Robin with beta readers, I'd start a new thread in the back room. Give a brief description of the ms you want people to look at and see what replies you get. Everyone here is very helpful and respectful, so don't worry.

Thank you. I'll take all the advice offered; find out who prefers what, and then post up in the Back Room. What do folks usually post? The complete MS? Or chapters?

About 100k.
Okay, I'll keep looking about. Learnt a bit already, anyway. Haven't done so well with the @Jason Byrne method of pacing though. So far I've got twenty minutes of Schindler's List soundtrack, buffered with Rage Against the Machine on a loop :)

Update: I decided to vary the formula @Jason Byrne , and use music instead (not that a soundtrack isn't music, but.. err.. well, you know what I mean). Now I've got War Pigs (Black Sabbath) pounding away around me. This is fun; although I suspect I'm only prevaricating !

Update: I decided to vary the formula @Jason Byrne , and use music instead (not that a soundtrack isn't music, but.. err.. well, you know what I mean). Now I've got War Pigs (Black Sabbath) pounding away around me. This is fun; although I suspect I'm only prevaricating !
lol. I know what you mean. I use music but not OST tracks. I make up playlists for characters and character pairs that match what I have already written.

When I am writing Rayven and Robin's scenes I usually listen to Lindsey Stirling. When I am writing Rayven, Nora and Timothy scenes I usually listen to Pentatonix. But generally I think I must be the exception to the rule, because all the creating is already done in my noggin. It's just a case of atmosphere while I write, you know? Gads, I mean Rayven, Robin, Nora and Timmy's scenes aren't until series 2. They are only just brand new born (apart from Robin) in series 1. But you get what I mean, have a run of the scene and pick songs that fit, like Brax would be "Behind Blue Eyes" by limp bizkit in book one, whereas by book 3 he would be "Bodies" by drowning pool ;) , John and Ava are "All of Me" by John Legend. Damn it... em @Jennifer Stone that time where thingywiggle takes teeny-fae-troon down to, em, aye I'll just day down, and they are at the place where they can hear through the door? "Take it off!" by Ke$ha. Damn it that was hard! Also originally thingywiggle was supposed to play a very slow version of Ke$ha's "Die young" to teeny-fae-troon and sing part of it to her before deciding to take her but I couldn't do that for copyright reasons so that scene got cut ;)

Spoilers are a bitch haha!

I have playlists for everything. Listen to them in the car and walking to the shops :) Not soundtrack type songs though, they just remind me of the films they are from, though I have anime music I like for writing to too.

lol. I know what you mean. I use music but not OST tracks. I make up playlists for characters and character pairs that match what I have already written.

When I am writing Rayven and Robin's scenes I usually listen to Lindsey Stirling. When I am writing Rayven, Nora and Timothy scenes I usually listen to Pentatonix. But generally I think I must be the exception to the rule, because all the creating is already done in my noggin. It's just a case of atmosphere while I write, you know? Gads, I mean Rayven, Robin, Nora and Timmy's scenes aren't until series 2. They are only just brand new born (apart from Robin) in series 1. But you get what I mean, have a run of the scene and pick songs that fit, like Brax would be "Behind Blue Eyes" by limp bizkit in book one, whereas by book 3 he would be "Bodies" by drowning pool ;) , John and Ava are "All of Me" by John Legend. Damn it... em @Jennifer Stone that time where thingywiggle takes teeny-fae-troon down to, em, aye I'll just day down, and they are at the place where they can hear through the door? "Take it off!" by Ke$ha. Damn it that was hard! Also originally thingywiggle was supposed to play a very slow version of Ke$ha's "Die young" to teeny-fae-troon and sing part of it to her before deciding to take her but I couldn't do that for copyright reasons so that scene got cut ;)

Spoilers are a bitch haha!

I have playlists for everything. Listen to them in the car and walking to the shops :) Not soundtrack type songs though, they just remind me of the films they are from, though I have anime music I like for writing to too.

I think I know what you mean, if I'm thinking of the right people. I think I am ;) Like the pic I posted on FB the other day and I nearly gave it all away?

Thank you. I'll take all the advice offered; find out who prefers what, and then post up in the Back Room. What do folks usually post? The complete MS? Or chapters?
If you're posting in the back room, don't put upload any of your MS. Ask for beta readers and then exchange the MS over email. Anything posted online is considered "previously published" and makes it hard to get an agent.

If you're posting in the back room, don't put upload any of your MS. Ask for beta readers and then exchange the MS over email. Anything posted online is considered "previously published" and makes it hard to get an agent.
Not entirely true. Anything posted online in it's entirety is considered published. Not excerpts xx

But still. Absolutely the best course of action. Petition Beta readers and exchange over email. Doing a swapsy for changey is usually the best way. Mutual back scratching ;)
Anytime anyone says "back scratcher" or the like, I always think of this scene from Family Guy:
f599e936ed35c1d7692d261a75d2d74f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Title Creator

R

Audio for my book?

Back