Hello, the world!

We're now https

L

The Consolation Of Narcissism

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig Thompson

Hi all. I've written five books (four self-published via Kindle and the fifth just completed) and am keen to get them all into hard, printed books. Zero success thus far. My writing is focussed on modern human interactions and the universal search for balance. Like us, all my books are connected - some subtly, others less so - and I do as much work on continuity and character backgrounds as I do on the books themselves. I also apply liberal helpings of cultural references and running gags in an effort to make my books feel as much like real life as possible. I'm open to chats about the process and am willing to hear any advice to help get my career moving.

Hello :)

I was listening to a podcast yesterday, a script writer and serial novelist called Ben Aaronovitch. Don't know if you need to sign up to listen below (free)

Couldn't be more direct or high energy, what a refreshing change from the usual...even though I'm not trying to write a bestseller in a year.

He said he KNEW he had got 'something' when he invented his young London cop, Peter Grant. (Rivers of London) Two pages in or so. He didn't yet know what the story was, exactly, though he thinks in terms of four Acts. He knew he had someone he wanted to go a walk with...

Plot? Yes, story MATTERS, especially for a bestseller. Voice matters and story matters, beautiful prose matters less, unless you want to write literary fiction. In which case sod the story.

Plot, he says again. SNORT. Well, yes, there sort of is one....he makes it up as he goes along, with that four Act structure in mind. The key thing is to know where you are going, not how you get there, exactly.

A Bollocking with Ben Aaronovitch

And from Fantasy Book Review: Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch book review

May I recommend a slug of the attached, mixed with Prosecco. I made said concoction in honour of the birthday of my other and far better half. Pure ambrosia.View attachment 1505

Thanks Marc. As an amateur cocktologist with an odd sense of adventure, I'll give it a go.

Hi Welcome!

I'm a newbie too but not very savy- I can't even work out how to write a post (without hitting reply!). Please help!

Hi Welcome!

I'm a newbie too but not very savy- I can't even work out how to write a post (without hitting reply!). Please help!
Welcome Ines. To post a new thread, go to Cafe Life, and on the right of the page, towards the top, you will see a Post New Thread button...should be easy from there but just say if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

We're now https

L

The Consolation Of Narcissism

Back