hello now with correct prefix.

Fanfare! Why you need an editor: Launch of Final Polish Editorial Services

A neophyte's beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2017
London
Hello

Sorry I am not very tech literate so I put my earlier post on without a prefix. Endearing, annoying, you choose. I have never done anything like this before but my wife thought it would be good for me to talk with other writers rather than living in my own little cupboard.

I am an author trying to get published. I have written a book about living with disability called Myrtle's Progress.

This is my second book and it is fictionalised version of my journey back from a personal abyss and perceptions of disability. The book tells how Adam Wright’s world is turned upside down by an accident.

One of the main obstacles Adam has had to overcome is Myrtle and her unreasonable, unforgiving and uncompromising behaviour. Myrtle is Adam’s left arm and he, like me, has Dystonia - a neurological movement disorder syndrome in which sustained or repetitive muscle contractions result in twisting and repetitive movements or abnormal fixed postures.

Anyway its nice to meet you.

Robert

Fantastic to meet you too Robert. I write crime and social realism, with an MS under re-write. There will be a slight delay while I write some short fiction for a local publication though.

I was at a Sunderland Cultural Partnership event a few weeks ago at The National Glass Centre and one very interesting topic came up which is that artists with disabilities should be seen as able to write about *anything* not just about their disabilities. I have to say I totally agreed with that viewpoint. What is your view on that Robert?

See you around the colony.

Fantastic to meet you too Robert. I write crime and social realism, with an MS under re-write. There will be a slight delay while I write some short fiction for a local publication though.

I was at a Sunderland Cultural Partnership event a few weeks ago at The National Glass Centre and one very interesting topic came up which is that artists with disabilities should be seen as able to write about *anything* not just about their disabilities. I have to say I totally agreed with that viewpoint. What is your view on that Robert?

See you around the colony.
Thank you David. I completely agree disabled people should write about anything they want. I have written plays and another novel all of which are not really to do with disability. The thing about Myrtle was suggested to me by the Doctors and nurses who helped me at hospital saying "you are funny" you should write about your experiences and that's what I did. well it was either that or go mad at the absurdity of it all. I have tried writing crime but I am not a good plotter. I would be interested to know to you write a plot first and then apply your characters to it or do you write from real life events. Best of luck to you.

Hello :) (Why Myrtle? :) How did you choose the name?)

Accounts like that can help other people in so many ways, and alleviate loneliness. And your wife is wise; cupboards are there to be burst out of, if in danger of becoming shut in.

I ain't going to write about rheumatoid stuff though. There's plenty out there already, about that nasty bugger, but no solutions, only different ways of coping.

Hello Katie for writing back. Myrtle? I don't know why, its nothing to do with Harry Potter ( I haven't read it). It just seemed to fit. I wanted something that reduced my arms influence on my life and Myrtle arrived. Here's how I explain it in the book..

"Why do I call her Myrtle? Well, it takes away some of her power and reduces her influence. It’s my revenge after all the things she has put me through, done to me, and the people that she has scared away. I wanted a name which would undermine her at every turn and somehow Myrtle fitted the bill. If you think about it there has never been a hero, serial killer or anyone significant called Myrtle. So obviously being called Myrtle and having the ability to have any impact upon the world, good or bad, is severely limited. I don’t even think there has been a pantomime villain called Myrtle.

Did you know that Myrtle was originally a unisex name? It was most popular in the year 1894, when it was twenty-seventh name choice for the whole of the USA. But until Myrtle stops rhyming with turtle I think it will remain in the nondescript shadows for some time to come. But I digress, you are looking quizzical.

It’s alright, we can talk about Myrtle, and she is sedated. I’ve just given her some Co-codamol. It makes her sleepy and when she is sleepy she doesn’t really feel the need to show off or cause trouble. She always goes back the same foetal position, lying across my breast plate. It is where she feels most comfortable. Myrtle, she looks so calm, doesn’t she? Almost charming, like butter would not melt in her grip. She’s like a naturist version of Sooty – the kid’s TV puppet or a very thin, well plucked, Emu? Thank you for nodding. "

Hello Katie for writing back. Myrtle? I don't know why, its nothing to do with Harry Potter ( I haven't read it). It just seemed to fit. I wanted something that reduced my arms influence on my life and Myrtle arrived. Here's how I explain it in the book..

"Why do I call her Myrtle? Well, it takes away some of her power and reduces her influence. It’s my revenge after all the things she has put me through, done to me, and the people that she has scared away. I wanted a name which would undermine her at every turn and somehow Myrtle fitted the bill. If you think about it there has never been a hero, serial killer or anyone significant called Myrtle. So obviously being called Myrtle and having the ability to have any impact upon the world, good or bad, is severely limited. I don’t even think there has been a pantomime villain called Myrtle.

Did you know that Myrtle was originally a unisex name? It was most popular in the year 1894, when it was twenty-seventh name choice for the whole of the USA. But until Myrtle stops rhyming with turtle I think it will remain in the nondescript shadows for some time to come. But I digress, you are looking quizzical.

It’s alright, we can talk about Myrtle, and she is sedated. I’ve just given her some Co-codamol. It makes her sleepy and when she is sleepy she doesn’t really feel the need to show off or cause trouble. She always goes back the same foetal position, lying across my breast plate. It is where she feels most comfortable. Myrtle, she looks so calm, doesn’t she? Almost charming, like butter would not melt in her grip. She’s like a naturist version of Sooty – the kid’s TV puppet or a very thin, well plucked, Emu? Thank you for nodding. "

That first part should have said thank you for writing back - sorry. I think writing about disability is hard so I do with humour. It makes it easier for some people to understand. When I stood on a train wearing a sling people would give me their seats. However when you have no sling and you face twists up and your arm shakes and tremors people have difficulty in making eye contact. I wish you every success and will investigate the links you sent.

Welcome, Robert. I like how you're dealing with Myrtle. I don't think she'll get the better of you! Good luck finishing the ms.

Thank you David. I completely agree disabled people should write about anything they want. I have written plays and another novel all of which are not really to do with disability. The thing about Myrtle was suggested to me by the Doctors and nurses who helped me at hospital saying "you are funny" you should write about your experiences and that's what I did. well it was either that or go mad at the absurdity of it all. I have tried writing crime but I am not a good plotter. I would be interested to know to you write a plot first and then apply your characters to it or do you write from real life events. Best of luck to you.

Crime as a genre has several tropes which you ignore at your peril. As I am re-writing an MS which is a police procedural set in the cathedral city of Durham it was a case of getting the plot fixed first. Then it was a case of fixing the characters, their relationships etc. Plenty of others don't do it that way though Robert. There are various terms for them but usually the term is pantsers. With other fiction I pantser it, allowing the story, characters, scenes flow freely, but for longer works I have a personal preference for plotting to a medium level of detail.

I hope that makes sense :)

You are a shaman, then. That is a shamanic naming. And I'm not looking quizzical...I promise. I love those sorts of digression :)

The blessed co-codamol. It may require prunes in due course, but for an oasis of relief and quietus....

That first part should have said thank you for writing back - sorry. I think writing about disability is hard so I do with humour. It makes it easier for some people to understand. When I stood on a train wearing a sling people would give me their seats. However when you have no sling and you face twists up and your arm shakes and tremors people have difficulty in making eye contact. I wish you every success and will investigate the links you sent.

Very true :) If people see you limping, leaning hard on a stick, they are wonderful. Just lovely. If they see you in a wheelchair, they are still wonderful by and large, at least once they 'see' you, but they are definitely more shy of you. People are kind but they like their challenges presented to them in certain ways, and in nature, you get sick, you get better or you die. *Horrors* What a thing to say. And those who love you don't feel that of course, but it's still true. And we're part of nature but like to think we're bigger and better than nature, while there are 'fashions' in diseases, just like anything else *horrors again.* People think they 'get' it about cancer, and respond accordingly, being shown the way, but however fierce your particular battle, unless people understand what it is, there may be discomfort, or even a faintly hostile response. And so you are quite right. It is hard to witness pain. It is uncomfortable and upsetting, and so is strangeness. The sick person needs to take the initiative, and however ghastly they may feel, to keep smiling and reassure others that it is all, basically, OK.
And it is vitally worth the effort.

Very true :) If people see you limping, leaning hard on a stick, they are wonderful. Just lovely. If they see you in a wheelchair, they are still wonderful by and large, at least once they 'see' you, but they are definitely more shy of you. People are kind but they like their challenges presented to them in certain ways, and in nature, you get sick, you get better or you die. *Horrors* What a thing to say. And those who love you don't feel that of course, but it's still true. And we're part of nature but like to think we're bigger and better than nature, while there are 'fashions' in diseases, just like anything else *horrors again.* People think they 'get' it about cancer, and respond accordingly, being shown the way, but however fierce your particular battle, unless people understand what it is, there may be discomfort, or even a faintly hostile response. And so you are quite right. It is hard to witness pain. It is uncomfortable and upsetting, and so is strangeness. The sick person needs to take the initiative, and however ghastly they may feel, to keep smiling and reassure others that it is all, basically, OK.
And it is vitally worth the effort.

Thank you for writing back. You have a very strong writing voice, and you sound real. I know you said earlier you didn't want to write about the "dreaded rheumatoid" stuff but you should. You would do it better than some of the wooden platitudes I have read and heard from others. The paragraph above would make a wonderful argument in a hospital waiting room between a father and son in a play or book. You could also turn it into a poem - Its sounds to me like Blake (being bigger than nature) or the ballad of Reading jail by Oscar Wilde, the sick person having to smile is like coward killing the silence with a kiss. Anyway back on planet earth, have a nice evening.

Welcome @Robert Boscott . The term 'struggling writer' takes on new depth when those of us who are able bodied/minded read intros of the kind that you wrote.
Thank you, you are very kind. Apologies for the late reply I work in the daytime. I would be interested in hearing what you are writing about. I find myself as older person looking backwards trying to figure out what things meant or whether they were supposed to mean anything. I am researching a book about my dad who was born 101 years ago. It is source of regret that I did not try to know him better when I had the opportunity. But what I am finding out about him now is quite wonderful and makes me proud. best wishes

I am researching a book about my dad who was born 101 years ago. It is source of regret that I did not try to know him better when I had the opportunity. But what I am finding out about him now is quite wonderful and makes me proud. best wishes
Fortunately, my Dad and I were very close and yet I learned so much more about him when I researched for his eulogy. Strangely, he grew younger in my mind as I learned more about him, and now see him as a fun-loving young man and not the old man in a hospital bed. I try to write thrillers which interweave science, technology and topical geo-politics. Thank you for asking.

Hi Robert - welcome aboard. As you will have already seen, this is a supportive community! You'll get as much out of this place as you put in...

Your experiences need to be shared. I wrote a short story (Steps by George) based on my brother-in-law who has Down's Syndrome - it is never mentioned in the story, but everyone who has read it is touched by the beauty of his innocence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! Why you need an editor: Launch of Final Polish Editorial Services

A neophyte's beginning

Back