Hello - just joined

What Would You Do? Aim for accuracy, or invoke a feeling?

Hello and Thanks for the Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

popparazzi

Basic
Dec 19, 2018
Derbyshire
Why has it taken me so long to find Litopia? Must be some sort of indication that I'm not "in the loop" yet. Really looking forward to discovering more and hearing from writers who've been there and done that as well as those like me, who are embarking on a new adventure.
I eventually finished my first book a few months ago - it's currently being proof read by friends and family - and am well into my second. I'd be ashamed to admit how long the first book took to complete but over the last year I've found my mojo and changed from simply wanting to write a book, to wanting to be a writer.
My knowledge of the industry is scant, and I'd welcome advice, support, warnings etc.

Why has it taken me so long to find Litopia? Must be some sort of indication that I'm not "in the loop" yet. Really looking forward to discovering more and hearing from writers who've been there and done that as well as those like me, who are embarking on a new adventure.
I eventually finished my first book a few months ago - it's currently being proof read by friends and family - and am well into my second. I'd be ashamed to admit how long the first book took to complete but over the last year I've found my mojo and changed from simply wanting to write a book, to wanting to be a writer.
My knowledge of the industry is scant, and I'd welcome advice, support, warnings etc.
Welcome. You'll find Litopia a wonderful resource.

Phew - amazing welcome, thank you all, I really feel I've found what I wish I knew about a year or two ago.
For those that have asked, my novel is a thriller; it's what I enjoy reading, so it made sense to write something in that genre.
I'm at that scary stage where it's being proof read by friends and family and for the first time, I'm having to let someone else read it. what I'll be like when I have to send it to people who know what they're talking about - I hate to imagine.
I watched the video about Pop up submissions and have to admire anyone who is prepared for such public scrutiny. Being new to all this, it's taking me way out of my comfort zone, but hey, I suppose I'm going to have to get used to it if I want to be published.
I look forward to hearing from others in the same position and what they've learned from the experience.

I had that experience some while back, when it was not yet quite so public. I learned I could write a strong story opening, highly visual. He could think of a couple of publishers who might be interested in it, if the thing was completed to a consistent standard. So much for the good news BUT I must be clear of my intended demographic, sort out a structural issue and beware of any appearance of 'writerly' writing.

'Writerliness' is not good. Not, never, no how.

I learned to pay attention to the rhythm of the writing. Got to vary it, as with speech. @AgentPete said it was so rhythmic, it was making him feel quite soporific.

'No!'

Wake up and read it! *Throw water in face* apply smelling salts*

Or revisit the writing.

Soporific. Can't have that.

Cue rewrite.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome- I'm pretty new here myself. Interesting you say Popparazzi and not as it is commonly used "paparazzi" meaning of course photographers in search of scoops- one of my side lines- I'm the parish photographer!?!:D

Hello and welcome- I'm pretty new here myself. Interesting you say Popparazzi and not as it is commonly used "paparazzi" meaning of course photographers in search of scoops- one of my side lines- I'm the parish photographer!?!:D
Hi Eva - it’s Popparazzi thanks to the grandchildren- mishmash of Poppa and paparazzi (my day job!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Would You Do? Aim for accuracy, or invoke a feeling?

Hello and Thanks for the Feedback

Back