Amusement Westminster Publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HayleyG

Basic
Jan 19, 2019
London
Hi!

I used Litopia a while ago. I even came to the meet-up in Cambridge a few years ago - this was pre pandemic. It was really fun and everyone was lovely! Life changed a lot in the intervening years, though, and I drifted from the forum, even though I kept on with my writing.

So... what happened in the meantime?

In April 2022 I found a lump in my breast. In May 2022 I was diagnosed with breast cancer, age 37. I went through 8 rounds of chemo, breast conserving surgery, radiotherapy and 13 further cycles of a drug called Kadcyla which finished about 4 weeks ago. I'm doing really well now, all things considered.

What about my literary ambitions? Well (and I could not have predicted this) after being diagnosed with cancer I switched to comics. I'm working on a graphic memoir about my experiences and earlier this year was shortlisted for a prize - www.caliburnprize.com

If you want to see examples of my work they're on my Instagram at hayleygullen

Also - I'm speaking at an event in Brighton on Monday at 7.30pm. It's free and there's also the option to watch online if you fancy!

It's good to be back!

Hi Hayley. How lovely to see you here again. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been through the wars like that. It's a frightening journey. I'm glad you're doing well and that you've found your way back here.

And congrats to being shortlisted. That's excellent.

Hi Hayley. How lovely to see you here again. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been through the wars like that. It's a frightening journey. I'm glad you're doing well and that you've found your way back here.

And congrats to being shortlisted. That's excellent.
Hi Barbara! Lovely to hear from you :)

Hi Hayley, my aunt had breast cancer several years ago and went through lots of treatment, it can be really rough, well done on getting through it. Sounds like you do some interesting things. I'll be going to have a look at your work, thanks for sharing.

Hi Hayley, my aunt had breast cancer several years ago and went through lots of treatment, it can be really rough, well done on getting through it. Sounds like you do some interesting things. I'll be going to have a look at your work, thanks for sharing.
Thank you Susan x

Hi. Welcome. Good luck with your speaking event. Comics and graphics are big news right now, so you're definitely onto something. And what a great way to tell your story.

Thank you! I'm not sure how much I'll have to add to Litopia, as I appreciate it's much more for the written word, but I'll be keeping tabs on the forums again :)

Welcome back @HayleyG :) My, you've been through the wringer. I'm sorry you had to go through something so scary. An old work colleague had breast cancer at 37. Last I saw her, she was 50. I'm glad to hear you're pulling through like her :)

Hi @HayleyG – welcome back. Good to see you here again and I'm delighted you're doing well after being through so much. They say adversity strengthens. I think you've proved that. :)

It's so good to have you back in the colony, Hayley! Sorry you've been through it health-wise and glad to hear you're doing well right now. Fantastic news with the graphic format, how exciting! Funnily enough, I've been working on a graphic novel myself, so very interested to hear how it's going. Congrats on the prize shortlisting!!

Hayley, how lovely to see you back! We met in Cambridge, and despite many attempts to recreate that, we only managed to get another Litfest together last April :) But well worth the wait!!

So sorry to hear of your health problems and I'm delighted to know you are on the other side... I'm off to follow you on Instagram now :) xx

Oh, Haley, it's good to see you back! Sorry, I'm a bit behind with this one.

I remember your great avatar that you did yourself, so I'm sure your comics will be both skilled and successful. I wish you the very best with that, and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrades, Discounts & Black Friday

Amusement Westminster Publishers

Back