Hello From Maryland

35 Dolls

Screenplay vs Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
...a little bit about me. I began writing seriously at age 19 as a music columnist at the Washington (DC) Star. My column was a weekly feature...an interview with either a well known musical artist or an up and coming artist. Over a six year period I interviewed over 300 artists including David Bowie, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, James Brown, Joni Mitchell...the list goes on and on. I am currently working on a book about that part of my life titled "Fast Forward, Play and Rewind." I also have three screenplays with one in the hands of a well known agent. I am also a nature and wildlife photographer and have a web site www.MichaelObermanPhotography.com Somehow I just found Litopia today! Hoping to meet other writers. Cheers!

Welcome! Looking at your list of interviewees, I bet some of them were a tad 'difficult'..
I was young and fearless. For the most part, artists wanted to do the interviews. There were two main newsapers in DC at the time...The Washington Post (a morning paper) and the Washington Star (an evening paper). Both had huge circulations. Record Companies wanted the publicity for their artists. There was no one else doing a weekly column like mine at the time. Rolling Stone was published every other week and had "long form" interviews. My interviews were only around 600 words each when published. They also featured a photo of the artist. I first interviewed David Bowie in 1969. Two years later, David came to the U.S. for the first time. I picked him up at the airport and he spent his first day in America with me in Silver Spring, MD.bowie.jpg That's me waving, my brother and David.
When David died, I was heartbroken. Here is one of many pieces I was interviewed for regarding his death and rewinding to his first day in the U.S.
When David Bowie Came to Silver Spring
bowie.jpg

Wow, what a fascinating six years they must have been! I must confess, I shed a few tears when David Bowie died. I'm not normally as deeply affected when a celebrity passes away, but his music was a treasured piece of my past.

And welcome!

Cool indeed, Michael. I hope we get to see some of your book in the Writing Groups (you'll get access after a week and twenty posts). Welcome to the Colony! :)

Thank you Robinne. Hope to see your beautiful country sometime.
My beautiful country. Yes, I am blessed to be here. I would tell you not to underestimate the beauty you have around you in Maryland, but it's clear from your photography that you don't. I do miss the wildlife of eastern PA where I grew up. Though I've gone pretty thoroughly Kiwi, the northeastern US is my tūrangawaewae--my spiritual homeland--in a way my adopted homeland can't ever be.

My beautiful country. Yes, I am blessed to be here. I would tell you not to underestimate the beauty you have around you in Maryland, but it's clear from your photography that you don't. I do miss the wildlife of eastern PA where I grew up. Though I've gone pretty thoroughly Kiwi, the northeastern US is my tūrangawaewae--my spiritual homeland--in a way my adopted homeland can't ever be.
Robinne...I spent a nice morning reading your blogs. I slso sent you a friend request on facebook...though I doubt you use that site much. I also sent you a message via FB.

Robinne...I spent a nice morning reading your blogs. I slso sent you a friend request on facebook...though I doubt you use that site much. I also sent you a message via FB.
Glad you liked the blog (at least I assume you did, if you spent a morning reading my posts). I do use FB, though I have an uneasy relationship with it. But this far from family and friends, it has its uses. Will see to that friend request.

Hi Michael. New England is a beautiful part of North America. I spent a few days in Washington DC when I was on my way back to the UK following a two year posting to Alberta, Canada with the British Army.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35 Dolls

Screenplay vs Treatment

Back