Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexT

Basic
Mar 19, 2018
Barcelona
Good morning all,

A newbie to this site.
I originally started writing about 18 years ago but without taking myself too seriously. After one (fairly crappy) children's book and various novels started but never finished, I'd more or less shelved the idea of becoming a writer and resigned myself to never working on any books again.
However.....I started a book in January last year which I completed in 7-8 months (looking back on it now I'm beginning to think it more or less wrote itself) and I now find that I no longer want to stop!
I'm currently working on my second book and should finish the first draft within a month or so.
And contrary to my rather cavalier attitude all those years ago, I am now determined to see my books published before I die.

Anyway, I look forward to enjoying this community for a long time though I shall try to make sure that it doesn't distract too much from the serious business of actually writing books!

Alex

Welcome Alex,
You've come to the right place to keep at it and tick it off your bucket list - Publishing a book :)

Good morning all,

A newbie to this site.
I originally started writing about 18 years ago but without taking myself too seriously. After one (fairly crappy) children's book and various novels started but never finished, I'd more or less shelved the idea of becoming a writer and resigned myself to never working on any books again.
However.....I started a book in January last year which I completed in 7-8 months (looking back on it now I'm beginning to think it more or less wrote itself) and I now find that I no longer want to stop!
I'm currently working on my second book and should finish the first draft within a month or so.
And contrary to my rather cavalier attitude all those years ago, I am now determined to see my books published before I die.

Anyway, I look forward to enjoying this community for a long time though I shall try to make sure that it doesn't distract too much from the serious business of actually writing books!

Alex
Yup. You've got the bug! Ditto. I live about 3 hours away from you, near Montpellier - also determined to see my books published before I die.

So what kind of book did you write? I keep seeing all these screwball mutant genres, like "urban solarpunk." How would you describe yours?
Nothing odd, at least I don’t think so. My wife read sthing on Google and told me about it....
There’s a medieval castle in Cardona, in the North of Spain which has now been turned into a 4star hotel. One of the rooms (room 712 to be precise) is kept locked and never given out to guests because the staff swear it’s haunted.
It turns out that the Viscount of Cardona, the second most important family in the Kingdom of Aragon at the time, locked his daughter, Adelaide, up in a turret for falling in love with a Muslim (don’t forget 2/3rds of Spain was Muslim at the time). Naturally she pines away and died.
In my book a family with two 16 yr old twins (one boy one girl) go on holiday there, arrive late at night due to a delayed flight and end up staying in room 712.
Adelaide comes to visit the twins in the night. They travel back in time to the 12th century. They have numerous adventures and Adelaide and her lover are finally reunited only to find.....that due to a curse pronounced by her father they can’t actually touch each other.
If you want to know how they break the curse I’m afraid you’ll have to buy the book!
Targeted at 11-14 year-olds (and adults)

How's that going? I recently parted company with mine so now I'm back in the submission trenches!

To be honest I don’t think most agents read a thing, especially the more well-established ones

A lot of the bigger ones have assistants or readers, but you submission will get read. I know it can feel like they’re not but they are. Have you tried stalking them on twitter? A lot of them tweet what they’re looking for. If you target them right you will get some interest. I followed one who tweeted me and asked if I had something to send him which I did. Got a full request off him even though he passed in the end :)

Nothing odd, at least I don’t think so. My wife read sthing on Google and told me about it....
There’s a medieval castle in Cardona, in the North of Spain which has now been turned into a 4star hotel. One of the rooms (room 712 to be precise) is kept locked and never given out to guests because the staff swear it’s haunted.
It turns out that the Viscount of Cardona, the second most important family in the Kingdom of Aragon at the time, locked his daughter, Adelaide, up in a turret for falling in love with a Muslim (don’t forget 2/3rds of Spain was Muslim at the time). Naturally she pines away and died.
In my book a family with two 16 yr old twins (one boy one girl) go on holiday there, arrive late at night due to a delayed flight and end up staying in room 712.
Adelaide comes to visit the twins in the night. They travel back in time to the 12th century. They have numerous adventures and Adelaide and her lover are finally reunited only to find.....that due to a curse pronounced by her father they can’t actually touch each other.
If you want to know how they break the curse I’m afraid you’ll have to buy the book!
Targeted at 11-14 year-olds (and adults)
That sounds pretty cool!

So what kind of book did you write? I keep seeing all these screwball mutant genres, like "urban solarpunk." How would you describe yours?
Out of curiosity what is "urban solar punk" and how does it differ from its lesser-known cousin "urban lunar punk?"

Out of curiosity what is "urban solar punk" and how does it differ from its lesser-known cousin "urban lunar punk?"
I presume "urban" means "not Tolkien or Lovecraft", and "solar" means "more modern than Victorian steam power." I hope this explanation answers your question because it sure doesn't do anything for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turning Suffering Into Writing

Your Favourite Website

Back