January Flash Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisP

Basic
Dec 3, 2020
UAE
Hi Everyone!

I joined Litopia hoping to find writers who write literary fiction because I am a novice writer who is trying to learn to write in this genre. My goal is to find those who have a strong understanding of this genre, so I can learn from them. I also want to contribute as I am learning, so I am happy to share whatever knowledge I have about writing. Well, I'm off to learn my way around the Colony!

Kris

Hi KrisP. Which genre do you want to write in? I'm sure there'll be a few others here with similar leanings

Hi KrisP. Which genre do you want to write in? I'm sure there'll be a few others here with similar leanings
Hi CageSage. I would like to write Literary Fiction (e.g. Michael Ondaatje, Rohinton Mistry, George Eliot, Kazuo Ishiguro).

Hi @KrisP ,

Welcome to the Colony and hope you have a great time here. There's plenty to do and we have lots of people happy to give but also receive advice on works in progress. You'll get the most from the Colony with a two-way exchange and you'll be pleasantly surprised how beneficial offering critiques is for your own work also.

We're a friendly and supportive community and best thing to do is dive right in. You'll find a very helpful intro here How to guide which will point you in the right direction, and the Writing Workshops Directory WWD is a great place to road test your opening pages, chapters, blurbs & synopses etc. You can also give advice and your reactions to the work of other members there.

If there's anything you're unsure about or need help with please drop me a message and I'll be happy to help.

Hi CageSage. I would like to write Literary Fiction (e.g. Michael Ondaatje, Rohinton Mistry, George Eliot, Kazuo Ishiguro).
Have you watched a few Pop-ups? It's definitely worth seeing the comments the pieces get, and also the writing workshops, read the recommendations and do a few reader critiques, and see how it all works. It's fun. Hard work, too, but fun.

Hi Kris

Welcome to the Colony! You'll get plenty of advice here. Any questions about the site, please message me. I'm one of the Guardians and always happy to help.

Do check out the Colony Notices to familiarize yourself with how the site works – The Prime Directive is the foundation of our ethos.

I see you've already made use of our Writing Workshops. The best way to find partners is to critique other member's work first, but please do familiarize yourself with our method for giving and receiving critique before you post your first review. Also, please make you you read the first three threads in that forum which will tell you what you need to know. For literary chat and general socializing, head over to Café Life.

So get stuck in. You'll see that the more you put in, the more you get out.

Great to have you on board.

Hi, KrisP, and welcome. Lots to read and get involved with here in Litopia, as others have mentioned. Make yourself at home!

Hi @KrisP ,

Welcome to the Colony and hope you have a great time here. There's plenty to do and we have lots of people happy to give but also receive advice on works in progress. You'll get the most from the Colony with a two-way exchange and you'll be pleasantly surprised how beneficial offering critiques is for your own work also.

We're a friendly and supportive community and best thing to do is dive right in. You'll find a very helpful intro here How to guide which will point you in the right direction, and the Writing Workshops Directory WWD is a great place to road test your opening pages, chapters, blurbs & synopses etc. You can also give advice and your reactions to the work of other members there.

If there's anything you're unsure about or need help with please drop me a message and I'll be happy to help.
Hi Jonny,

Thank you very much for this informative reply! Yes, I had hoped to critique others' work. I hope to be an involved and active member of the Colony!

Have you watched a few Pop-ups? It's definitely worth seeing the comments the pieces get, and also the writing workshops, read the recommendations and do a few reader critiques, and see how it all works. It's fun. Hard work, too, but fun.
Hi CageSage,
Yes, I watched a Pop-up and wow! It was great! I really enjoyed hearing what worked in the pieces they critiqued and what didn't work and why. I'm looking forward to learning how critiques are done here at the Colony, and I'm looking forward to jumping in and doing a few critiques! Great learning!

Hi Kris

Welcome to the Colony! You'll get plenty of advice here. Any questions about the site, please message me. I'm one of the Guardians and always happy to help.

Do check out the Colony Notices to familiarize yourself with how the site works – The Prime Directive is the foundation of our ethos.

I see you've already made use of our Writing Workshops. The best way to find partners is to critique other member's work first, but please do familiarize yourself with our method for giving and receiving critique before you post your first review. Also, please make you you read the first three threads in that forum which will tell you what you need to know. For literary chat and general socializing, head over to Café Life.

So get stuck in. You'll see that the more you put in, the more you get out.

Great to have you on board.
Hi Barbara,
Thank you! I will read the method for giving and receiving critique (already started) before I give a critique to anyone here. I look forward to being involved in the two-way help system here. I do have a question but I'll message you. Thanks again!

Hi Barbara,
Thank you! I will read the method for giving and receiving critique (already started) before I give a critique to anyone here. I look forward to being involved in the two-way help system here. I do have a question but I'll message you. Thanks again!
Great to see you getting involved here already. I got your message, thank you and have responded. I hope you received it. :):)

:clinking-beer-mugs:

Great to see you getting involved here already. I got your message, thank you and have responded. I hope you received it. :):)

:clinking-beer-mugs:
Hi Barbara,

I probably received your message but I can't figure out how to find/see it :) Still learning my way around. But, I'll figure it out. I thought it would be "viewable" by clicking on the envelope next to my name, but I don't see it there.

Hi Barbara,

I probably received your message but I can't figure out how to find/see it :) Still learning my way around. But, I'll figure it out. I thought it would be "viewable" by clicking on the envelope next to my name, but I don't see it there.
It should be in the Chat area, to the right, in the private conversations, underneath the message you sent to me.

We have two areas here to send messages: the one in the chat where you can start a private conversation (like you did messaging me), and like you say the envelope at the top. I mostly use the envelope at the top because it allows longer messages.

It should be in the Chat area, to the right, in the private conversations, underneath the message you sent to me.

We have two areas here to send messages: the one in the chat where you can start a private conversation (like you did messaging me), and like you say the envelope at the top. I mostly use the envelope at the top because it allows longer messages.
Well...this is embarrassing. I can't find it (I can't even find the message I sent you...ha! :) ). I clicked on 'chat' to the left of my name and it has two options: Archive and Top Chatters. Nothing from you in either one. No worries though. I'll play around until I find it.

Well...this is embarrassing. I can't find it (I can't even find the message I sent you...ha! :) ). I clicked on 'chat' to the left of my name and it has two options: Archive and Top Chatters. Nothing from you in either one. No worries though. I'll play around until I find it.
Don't click on the actual arrow, but click on the word 'chat' / the folder thingy. That should get you to the main chat area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excited to be here!

January Flash Club

Back