30 Writing Contests in November 2018 - No entry fees

SWWJ manuscript appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonora

Basic
Oct 25, 2018
Cornwall England
I've been lurking around the colony for a day, feeling shy, but very inspired. I am on my third unpublished novel. I wrote the first two in blissful ignorance. Now I'm actually trying to write something publishable - and it's so hard!
My current project is a historical political thriller set in a period I used to write on as a University lecturer. The year is 1794 and the war with France has begun, but the focus of the story is the Government's attempt to hang, draw and quarter working-class radicals for seeking the vote.
Anyway, I'm really glad to be here, and hello again!

Very good to have you here, Leonora! And what an interesting period to write about. The Glorious First of June and so on... good stuff!

Very good to have you here, Leonora! And what an interesting period to write about. The Glorious First of June and so on... good stuff!
How funny! The novel starts a couple of weeks after the Glorious first, and one of the opening scenes is a riot at the 'illuminations' (aka bonfires and hard drinking) to celebrate it.

Hello :)

Great story subject, Leonora.

The radicals v the government's terror of contagion....the revolution in France. The horrors of the Terror.
“The definition of a virtuous man”: British Radicals’ Views of Citi...
Thanks very much for this link, I haven't read it before, and it's full of good stuff about some of my characters. After a quick glance I think it's particularly interesting, as it relates to my 'theme'. I used to write about William Cobbett, the inventor of the popular press. Left wingers always hated him, because he championed the people as they were, in all their unregenerate glory, not as middle class evangelicals or revolutionary Marxists wished they were. This idea about being worthy of citizenship is classic middle class liberal reformer speak in that period, and what my "Cobbett character" would hate!

I love Cobbett. And he'd be noticing the same things now, those publicly articulating the wish that the higgerant proles be better educated in order to qualify to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

30 Writing Contests in November 2018 - No entry fees

SWWJ manuscript appraisal

Back