Hello, Again?

Greetings

61 Writing Contests in December 2017 - No entry fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

I was part of the olde Litopia colony that mysteriously disappeared for awhile...or at least, I couldnt ever find it after it became a pod-cast "station"...or something. Its been a while....years in fact.

Does this Colony have any attachment to the old? The old one had this tiered system of forums and some areas were only accessible if you had passed a tribunal critique. Anything like that here? I am pretty sure I was paying the monthly support donation too but it stopped being charged.

I guess its at least different in regards to the user database since I *think I was able to register the same user name again.

I suppose this comes off as disoriented and rambling...but I guess I am disoriented. :)

-Shackled

Welcome back! Don't worry, we all feel disoriented now and again. Fortunately, there's always someone here with coffee. ;) This is Litopia 2.0, I suppose. Some of the same faces (and @AgentPete still at the helm), but apparently a quite different structure (I didn't know the old version, though I've been here a while now).

Hi Shackled (what was your old name?). New software, new systems, new(ish) Litopia, but same ethos.

I believe it was "Shackled" back then too, but it has been years. I took this name originally because my work was the absolute polar opposite of creativity, innovation, or any other kind of intellectual progress; processing tax data for a State Govt. A place where proposing changes is considered "rocking the boat". I finally left that bleak place (long overdue) and have a less grim outlook on life. In hindsight, it was having a much bigger negative effect on me than I realized. My work is still quite boring, but not as bad. In this instance, I took the name as a test to see if it would 'collide' with the previous one.

And I really am shackled to the writing at this point. :)

I've realized I havent really done a proper intro, so here we go:

Since then, I've got one book professionally edited and out on Amazon. I won't plug/link it here since I don't know if you have rules on such a thing yet. Although I am happy to have finished it, I think the writing was too sterile from over-editing and a myopic focus on 'mechanical perfection' (grammar). I've joked it's subtitle should be "Mike Learns to Write". My pen name is 'Austin Newberry' though. ;) I've also written some shorts, one that was picked up for an anthology but the publisher folded up before it saw ink. I think the contest for the anthology was rooted in Litopia 1.0, but...its been a while.

Currently, and I will admit this is why Litopia came back to mind, I am finishing my second book which I am a lot more hyped about. However, I was looking at the previous edit of a chapter and thought it might be better than my post-edit! I think that I had over zealously hacked off the 'meat' yet again. I need some feedback and no one in my circle has time, is into reading, or could be trusted to give me unvarnished feedback. So here I am (after a visit to Google)

Like all good writers, I also have several half-baked books in 'the drawer', but the current one is to setup a series. I live on the MD-PA line with a wife and 2 kids (+1 more living on her own), 3 cats, a dog, and when I do need a break from the keyboard, I work on my 1969 Pontiac GTO or do a little blacksmithing. The old car is an expensive hobby, so the bucks down alternate is the forge.

So, did I miss anything? :p

I believe it was "Shackled" back then too, but it has been years. I took this name originally because my work was the absolute polar opposite of creativity, innovation, or any other kind of intellectual progress; processing tax data for a State Govt. A place where proposing changes is considered "rocking the boat". I finally left that bleak place (long overdue) and have a less grim outlook on life. In hindsight, it was having a much bigger negative effect on me than I realized. My work is still quite boring, but not as bad. In this instance, I took the name as a test to see if it would 'collide' with the previous one.

And I really am shackled to the writing at this point. :)

I've realized I havent really done a proper intro, so here we go:

Since then, I've got one book professionally edited and out on Amazon. I won't plug/link it here since I don't know if you have rules on such a thing yet. Although I am happy to have finished it, I think the writing was too sterile from over-editing and a myopic focus on 'mechanical perfection' (grammar). I've joked it's subtitle should be "Mike Learns to Write". My pen name is 'Austin Newberry' though. ;) I've also written some shorts, one that was picked up for an anthology but the publisher folded up before it saw ink. I think the contest for the anthology was rooted in Litopia 1.0, but...its been a while.

Currently, and I will admit this is why Litopia came back to mind, I am finishing my second book which I am a lot more hyped about. However, I was looking at the previous edit of a chapter and thought it might be better than my post-edit! I think that I had over zealously hacked off the 'meat' yet again. I need some feedback and no one in my circle has time, is into reading, or could be trusted to give me unvarnished feedback. So here I am (after a visit to Google)

Like all good writers, I also have several half-baked books in 'the drawer', but the current one is to setup a series. I live on the MD-PA line with a wife and 2 kids (+1 more living on her own), 3 cats, a dog, and when I do need a break from the keyboard, I work on my 1969 Pontiac GTO or do a little blacksmithing. The old car is an expensive hobby, so the bucks down alternate is the forge.

So, did I miss anything? :p
Nice to meet you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greetings

61 Writing Contests in December 2017 - No entry fees

Back