• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Thought for the Day Happiness is a....

Paul Whybrow

Happiness is a choice, not a result. Nothing will make you happy until you choose to be happy. No person will make you happy unless you decide to be happy. Your happiness will not come to you. It can only come from you.

Ralph Marston

211fb1d06f9479a7650fc3bb47b93c8b_L.jpg

"Choosing" happiness can also be fooling yourself, or turning a blind eye to reality. That can result in all kinds of issues, physical and mental, to you and those around you. Happiness is complicated. It's an emotion like being in love. Results from feelings, not choices.

My mother "choose" to be happy. She achieved it maybe 90% of the time. She did not live in reality. She did not work through troublesome issues, but instead moved on from them. That included marriages, people, and places. She gathered people to her that would keep her happy fantasy alive. Some would say she lived a successful, happy life. It's not one I would ever choose.

I prefer to find ways to be content. I think that is something we can choose. It's truer and more lasting.

Back