Greetings!

Saturday fun

13 Writing Conferences in February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow writers.
Very new to all this and feeling a mix of apprehension and excitment.

Having just finished my 5th book I think it's about time to think about an agent.
Do not go gentle into that good night!

Advice most welcome.

Last edited:
Welcome Haydn.

How would you class your writing and have you not thought of trying for publication with your previous four books?

Hello David
My trilogy is a fast paced present day thiller with what I call a 'dusting' of sci-fi. Strong characters but also a strong story-line. The style's based on good foundation's: Dan Brown, Scott Mariani, Peter Pullman. Very readable and I think very commercial. The plot takes place around the world in places like: the USA, France, Italy, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Moscow and North Korea. (Mostly places I have visited which adds authenticity to the descriptive stuff!)
Only now am I in a position in life to put time and effort into finding a publisher for my work (although I have used Amazon as an experience and found it very useful.)

My two other books are of different genres. 'The Devil and the Unicorn' is adult horror (my small tribute to Hammer Films who frightened me to death as a child!)
'The Journal of Harry Somerville' was inspired by my father, who fought with the Desert Rats in WW2 under Montgomery and primarily set in the 1960's.

I hope this helps.

Hello :) A fifth book? Time to search for an agent? I should coco. Congratulations on a job already done several times over, and that is quite a range.

Hello David
My trilogy is a fast paced present day thiller with what I call a 'dusting' of sci-fi. Strong characters but also a strong story-line. The style's based on good foundation's: Dan Brown, Scott Mariani, Peter Pullman. Very readable and I think very commercial. The plot takes place around the world in places like: the USA, France, Italy, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Moscow and North Korea. (Mostly places I have visited which adds authenticity to the descriptive stuff!)
Only now am I in a position in life to put time and effort into finding a publisher for my work (although I have used Amazon as an experience and found it very useful.)

My two other books are of different genres. 'The Devil and the Unicorn' is adult horror (my small tribute to Hammer Films who frightened me to death as a child!)
'The Journal of Harry Somerville' was inspired by my father, who fought with the Desert Rats in WW2 under Montgomery and primarily set in the 1960's.

I hope this helps.
Yes it does Haydn, very interesting. You are taking on some tough opposition with Dan Brown and Scott Mariani as they are big sellers and have devoted readers.

They reason why I asked is that most writers are defined by what they write rather than who they are. The writer becoming secondary to their work. That is why I almost always ask people what their genre etc. is now.

Good luck with it all Haydn.

If you're looking for a list of UK agents the members list of the Association of Author's Agents is a starting point, as well as the links listed above. Following agents on twitter also helps since they quite often state what genres they are looking for and whether they are building their lists.

Thrillers are hot at the moment and there are a fair number of agents looking for that genre. (I'm subbing similar). So if yours is as strong as you say it is and you target the right agents you should get some interest fairly quickly.

Send out a batch of ten and see what sort of response you get. Plus it's always a good idea to put your submission package through the houses here. You'll find the feedback invaluable.

... Plus it's always a good idea to put your submission package through the houses here. You'll find the feedback invaluable.

Hey Kitty. Could you tell us newbies something more about the 'houses' and where to find the them? Thanks.

@TonyP they are critique forums subdivided by genre. After you've been active here for a bit they magically appear. There's some sort of algorithm but what it is remains a mystery :)

IMHO they're one of the best features about Litopia. :)

If you're looking for a list of UK agents the members list of the Association of Author's Agents is a starting point, as well as the links listed above. Following agents on twitter also helps since they quite often state what genres they are looking for and whether they are building their lists.

Thrillers are hot at the moment and there are a fair number of agents looking for that genre. (I'm subbing similar). So if yours is as strong as you say it is and you target the right agents you should get some interest fairly quickly.

Send out a batch of ten and see what sort of response you get. Plus it's always a good idea to put your submission package through the houses here. You'll find the feedback invaluable.
Thank you for your advice and guidance, Kitty. I'm so glad I joined this community it has given me hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturday fun

13 Writing Conferences in February 2017

Back