J

*Waves*

Especially For Richard. The Honourable Literary Tradition of Vampires

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vishnu Sharma

Hi everyone,

My name is Vishnu. Like you all I too want to be a writer for rest of my life. I have been writing for six or seven years. I mostly write reports and commentaries on political issues. For many years I have been writing short stories and novels but kept them secret fearing rejection. But now I can't waste my time anymore and I am prepared to take suggestions, criticism and sarcasm.

Thanks,
Vishnu

Hi everyone,

My name is Vishnu. Like you all I too want to be a writer for rest of my life. I have been writing for six or seven years. I mostly write reports and commentaries on political issues. For many years I have been writing short stories and novels but kept them secret fearing rejection. But now I can't waste my time anymore and I am prepared to take suggestions, criticism and sarcasm.

Thanks,
Vishnu
Welcome Vishnu. In Litopia, we don't fear rejection - we embrace it. We buy it dinner, make it think we love it, and then we don't return its phone calls. Feel free to join in.
By the way, and sorry to jump on you with such unseemly haste, but are you by any chance a fluent Hindi or Urdu speaker? I am working on a story which needs some linguistic expertise beyond the smattering of forgotten Hindi that I possess. Ideally, I need feedback from somebody who speaks Hindi colloquially. Accha?

Welcome, Vishnu! Litopia also specializes in discussions about cake and camels, so I hope you're prepared for that. This is a very open group; I'm sure you'll find lots of support and help here to further your writing.

Welcome Vishnu. In Litopia, we don't fear rejection - we embrace it. We buy it dinner, make it think we love it, and then we don't return its phone calls. Feel free to join in.
By the way, and sorry to jump on you with such unseemly haste, but are you by any chance a fluent Hindi or Urdu speaker? I am working on a story which needs some linguistic expertise beyond the smattering of forgotten Hindi that I possess. Ideally, I need feedback from somebody who speaks Hindi colloquially. Accha?
Yes, I can help you with Hindi. I know little Urdu too.

Thanks. I need some help with dialogue. I know it is common for men to address each other as yaar, the English equivalent being mate, chum, or bro'. But what about young women; would two girls use the same term when talking to each other, or is there a feminine version, eg yaarin? And is the term restricted according to socio-economic background? In particular, would yaar / yaarin be used by educated professionals?

Thanks. I need some help with dialogue. I know it is common for men to address each other as yaar, the English equivalent being mate, chum, or bro'. But what about young women; would two girls use the same term when talking to each other, or is there a feminine version, eg yaarin? And is the term restricted according to socio-economic background? In particular, would yaar / yaarin be used by educated professionals?
There are few creatures in this world with the capability for as much excitement as a writer who has found someone with an answer to his questions.:D

On a side note, I used to have an awesome albino gerbil that shared your name :) He was brilliant, his brother Diablo was... aye... pretty badass. But Vishnu was cool.

Totally random I know... I'll scurry away now :)

There are few creatures in this world with the capability for as much excitement as a writer who has found someone with an answer to his questions.:D
Yup! But Vishnu's teasing me. He's making me wait. Perhaps if I offered some cake?
vishnu%202.gif

yaar is gender neutral. But in conservative families this word is considered derogatory because the person who was referred to as yaar was someone who was into illicit relationship. For example: 'hey, is that man/woman your yaar?'

yaar is gender neutral. But in conservative families this word is considered derogatory because the person who was referred to as yaar was someone who was into illicit relationship. For example: 'hey, is that man/woman your yaar?'
Now that is something very important of which I was completely unaware. Thank you very much, Vishnu - you saved me from a serious blunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

*Waves*

Especially For Richard. The Honourable Literary Tradition of Vampires

Back