• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! Greetings Litopians!

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!

ChandlerJules

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit "Character is Destiny"
LitBits
I have navigated here from the year 1880, in Santa Fe territory, which is foreign to the United States and no longer part of Mexico. I ask the question, “Have we ever really stopped fighting the Civil War?” I am sensitive to issues of cultural differences and draw on my life as a woman to address the concerns of misappropriation. I suggest that we women are critical subsets of ANY marginalised population. I hope to reveal the heady mix of ethnicities that have always taken part in the fascinating lives of those in the Land of Enchantment.
So happy to have found this colony!

Last edited:
Hi @ChandlerJules

A very warm welcome to Litopia. Hope you really enjoy it. I'm sure you will find much to get involved with, so don't be shy. Just dive right in.

Here's a good link to point out a few of the key areas of activity in the Colony.

How-to Guide

If you need any further help getting around the site, then please send me a PM and I’ll be happy to assist if I can.

You...you write historical fiction based in Santa Fe. O.O

I lived in Santa Fe, well, a long time ago now, but it's good to hear from someone else from the Land of Enchantment. Welcome to the Colony!

Wow...love to hear from someone who is familiar with SF and New Mexico. My favorite job was managing a youth hostel in Santa Fe for a few years-best anecdote: Craig is on duty at the front desk, early on a Sunday morning and receives a call asking for assistance (random caller) “I’ve just had sex and something is wrong with my testicles.”

Turns out, the guy wanted St. Vincent's Hospital, of course, and a nurse we knew explained that he had likely suffered a torsion of his balls. Yikes! We were sympathetic but hysterical as well.

You...you write historical fiction based in Santa Fe. O.O

I lived in Santa Fe, well, a long time ago now, but it's good to hear from someone else from the Land of Enchantment. Welcome to the Colony!
And the challenge is whittling down what history to include, and I have to focus on what directly impacts my characters, without overloading the story or reader. So many fascinating characters, war stories, etc. I'm loathe to dismiss, but I will.

I read somewhere you start out wanting to create an earth-shattering masterpiece and at the end (with a whimper) you are relieved that it's not a disaster.

And the challenge is whittling down what history to include, and I have to focus on what directly impacts my characters, without overloading the story or reader. So many fascinating characters, war stories, etc. I'm loathe to dismiss, but I will.

I read somewhere you start out wanting to create an earth-shattering masterpiece and at the end (with a whimper) you are relieved that it's not a disaster.
Also, I left New Mexico a few years back when our economy took such a hard dip, however, that beautiful land still speaks to me.

Hello, and welcome @ChandlerJules Good to see you here. I'm sure you'll find lots of like-minded people on Litopia. We're a mixed bunch – which makes for lots of lively discussions. History is always fascinating. But yeah – what to keep and what to miss out...:eek:

I'm one of the Guardians on Litopia. If you have any questions, please get in touch. I look forward to seeing you around the Colony! :)

Hello, I am in the process of launching a non fiction book..on real life time slip cases..My current WIP...is an Timeslip story set in WW2...

Hello, I am in the process of launching a non fiction book..on real life time slip cases..My current WIP...is an Timeslip story set in WW2...