Greetings from France

Fanfare! Pent-up chest-thumping

Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
Just to introduce myself... Hi. I'm Rachel, I live in France, I'm married to a glassblower (which has nothing to do with my writing other than the fact that glassblowers are notoriously poor, which may or may not be inspirational).
I've just written my first novel, called Rosendale, which was discussed by Pete in the Pop-up submissions session yesterday. It was an interesting and very useful experience. So I'd like to thank Pete for that.
Now I have to make supper for the family so I have to go. I just wanted to say hello and I look forward to 'meeting' you here again. When I have a moment I'll look through some of the previous threads that people have started.

Glassblowers shouldn't be poor! I was fascinated by glassblowing when I was a kid. Disneyland used to have a glassblowing demonstration and I was more interested in that then the Matahorn.

Welcome! I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania with a famous historical glassblowing operation...Pieces from the original business in the 1700s now grace museums all over the place, but the owner died in poverty. The current incarnation as a non-profit historical society run by volunteers barely covers the cost of running the furnace, so I sympathise with someone trying to earn a living from it. A labour of love, like writing!

Welcome, Rachel. Nice to meet you. I'm new-ish myself, and already glad to be part of this group. Have you started your next novel yet?

Welcome! I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania with a famous historical glassblowing operation...Pieces from the original business in the 1700s now grace museums all over the place, but the owner died in poverty. The current incarnation as a non-profit historical society run by volunteers barely covers the cost of running the furnace, so I sympathise with someone trying to earn a living from it. A labour of love, like writing!

So, sad. Glassblowing is still alive and well in Mexico, though the income is not so great unless you also own a shop.

Welcome, @Rachel Caldecott-Thornton. I also found Agent Pete's feedback to you useful and encouraging and I'm keen to see where you go next with Rosendale.
The whole process with the Capo Famiglia, Pete, is fascinating and useful. I liked his gentle handling of the writer who sounded so desperate and ready to give up. I'm giving Rosendale a break for a week or so. I have a Hollywood producer looking at it now (and she claims she likes it so far....) but I doubt very much that anything will come from that. Until I hear from her I'll take a 'breather' then relook at it, bearing in mind Pete's advice.

Thank you for your welcome.

Welcome, Rachel and well done on finishing your first novel. Good luck with it all.
Thank you so much for your welcome. If you saw where I write you'd be amazed! We have a small open plan house... my computer (which I share with husband and daughter) is in the living room. As I sit here I can see the dishes waiting for me in the kitchen sink and hear the TV - which seems to be on far too much! At least I'll never be lonely when I write....

Thank you so much for your welcome. If you saw where I write you'd be amazed! We have a small open plan house... my computer (which I share with husband and daughter) is in the living room. As I sit here I can see the dishes waiting for me in the kitchen sink and hear the TV - which seems to be on far too much! At least I'll never be lonely when I write....
I mean to say, that it's a miracle that I finished it at all :)

So, sad. Glassblowing is still alive and well in Mexico, though the income is not so great unless you also own a shop.
My husband used to exhibit all over the world and even made the glass for the film Gladiator (not that you actually saw any), but we decided to move to the poorest area of France... Ah well, you live and learn. Thank you for your welcome.

Welcome, Rachel. Nice to meet you. I'm new-ish myself, and already glad to be part of this group. Have you started your next novel yet?
Hi, Welcome to you too :) Yes I have. I'm about 25k into the sequel to the novel discussed the other night. Plus I have two other projects that I'm playing with - one draws on my g.g.g.grandmother's diary of her flight from Hungary in 1849. But I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it or even whether it'll be a YA or adult fiction. Sounds crazy still not to know after already writing 25k, but I can take it in several directions and I'm not sure which... The other is just to edit and annotate the short stories from the Indian Frontier that my husband's great grandfather wrote (all apparently true... real life 'ripping yarns' or 'boys' own' stuff). The question is shortage of time!!

Yup. I can envisage us in the poor house very easily. It is a ridiculous craft! So, so expensive... But he does it for love. Thank you for your welcome. I have to say that I might have more luck getting published if I wrote about our lives as glassblowers living in France.

Hi, Welcome to you too :) Yes I have. I'm about 25k into the sequel to the novel discussed the other night. Plus I have two other projects that I'm playing with - one draws on my g.g.g.grandmother's diary of her flight from Hungary in 1849. But I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it or even whether it'll be a YA or adult fiction. Sounds crazy still not to know after already writing 25k, but I can take it in several directions and I'm not sure which... The other is just to edit and annotate the short stories from the Indian Frontier that my husband's great grandfather wrote (all apparently true... real life 'ripping yarns' or 'boys' own' stuff). The question is shortage of time!!

Wow, you're not going to get bored any time soon then. I like the sound of the flight from Hungary. Maybe a good excuse for yo to take a trip out there? Research, and all that. :)

Welcome - you've done better than me and I've been an erratic contributor for some time, but I couldn't figure out how these live Pop-up things work.
Ha! Purely by chance I assure you :). I was terrified. But Pete sent me a message to say when my book was being 'done', so basically I sat glued to the computer at the appointed time (occasionally shouting at the family to be quiet). He seemed encouraging though and I like the feel I get from him. I'm touched and impressed by the welcome I have received. Thank you.

Wow, you're not going to get bored any time soon then. I like the sound of the flight from Hungary. Maybe a good excuse for yo to take a trip out there? Research, and all that. :)
Indeed! I'd love to recreate her journey. Round Hungary, up to Bratislava, then on the Danube to Belgrade where she met up with her husband who had the death penalty on his head, then together down to the coast, onto a boat to Istanbul where they stayed a while, then to Malta for 5 months, then to Marseilles and up to Paris. They thought they could settle in Paris but the Austrians found them, so they came to London and stayed there. Turned out that ggggrandad was a spy/double spy/triple spy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! Pent-up chest-thumping

Intro

Back