Goals and organisation

Book-ending my novel

Looking For A WordPress Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinne Weiss

May 19, 2015
New Zealand
I'm generally a hyper-organised person. So much so, I usually refuse to talk about the organisation of my life because most people think it's weird and a bit obsessive-compulsive. But I also get a lot more done than most people I know, and I put it down to organisation.

So anyway, for the past 30 years, I have created quarterly plans for myself for work. They're based on a quarterly reporting system I had to use when I was in the Peace Corps. I've modified it slightly over the years, but the basics are the same: a simple one-page table with goals, steps to achieving those goals, deadlines, the all-important tick-box for completion, and notes (where you can explain to yourself why you didn't accomplish something, or note future goals now that you have finished something...).
IMG_7205.JPG

Last year, I struggled to meet my quarterly goals around a new job, building a house, selling a house, and general life stress. This year I'm still building a house (it apparently takes FOREVER!), and will be moving twice and still have that pesky day job... So I'm worried I'll miss my goals again. So I've taken the plunge and given myself word-count goals for the first time ever. They're daunting, but I'm hoping they'll keep me on track (and at the very least, they remind me that I've got to work evenings and weekends to keep up the full-time output I was used to before last year).

I know we've talked before about goal-setting and organisation, but it's always worth revisiting. So tell me how you set goals? How do you track progress? How do you keep yourself on schedule? Or are you less obsessive-compulsive about it all and think I should lighten up or maybe get therapy? ;)

Well, don't tell anyone, but I cheat. Word counts include research, character interviews, all the planning docs (regardless of how many times they've been done before), all rewrites, including chain-of-events layouts to scenes to Acts. Oh, and I also count words about writing to writers.
And goals are good, but life is more important. If there's a reason -- let's say a publisher wants you to send a sub in by a specific date -- make the effort, otherwise, flex with the wind. The end result is still productivity, but not stress.
And I have a little yellow note (okay, it's purple, and not very sticky anymore) that says: productivity is 50% of capacity (learned that when working a factory line, making pasta). Why sweat it, when the pants kicker is also the chief of standards (aka writer)?

@Robinne Weiss Even if you don't know them, you must have your reasons why you live that way; and if it suits you, why worry what anyone else thinks? If you enjoy that life style, why change? It is only if you find it irks you that you should stop and consider why it causes you dissatisfaction- otherwise, go for it Robinne, full speed ahead, business as usual...Just don't go to Spain, Italy or siesta countries, they would not know what to do with you. But that doesn't mean you are doing something wrong. :D

I once knew a multi-millionaire, a man who'd developed and taken patents on magnetic ways of moving and working on metal goods in factories. He didn't look wealthy, always wearing the same old grey suit, white shirt and blue tie. If you were casting the role of dotty professor in a film, he'd have been ideal with his wispy white hair and spectacles.

Although retired, he was a busy man as an antiques collector and trader. He kept himself organised by making a list in a tiny notebook at the start of the day, ten things that he had to do. He was forever consulting the notebook to remind himself what needed doing next. Any tasks he failed to complete went to the top of the list the next day. He got a lot done!

@Robinne Weiss Even if you don't know them, you must have your reasons why you live that way; and if it suits you, why worry what anyone else thinks? If you enjoy that life style, why change? It is only if you find it irks you that you should stop and consider why it causes you dissatisfaction- otherwise, go for it Robinne, full speed ahead, business as usual...Just don't go to Spain, Italy or siesta countries, they would not know what to do with you. But that doesn't mean you are doing something wrong. :D
LOL! I never said I was planning on changing. :p I just don't usually talk about it 'cause I get weird looks.

I once knew a multi-millionaire, a man who'd developed and taken patents on magnetic ways of moving and working on metal goods in factories. He didn't look wealthy, always wearing the same old grey suit, white shirt and blue tie. If you were casting the role of dotty professor in a film, he'd have been ideal with his wispy white hair and spectacles.

Although retired, he was a busy man as an antiques collector and trader. He kept himself organised by making a list in a tiny notebook at the start of the day, ten things that he had to do. He was forever consulting the notebook to remind himself what needed doing next. Any tasks he failed to complete went to the top of the list the next day. He got a lot done!
I have daily and weekly lists, too, in addition to the quarterly plan. And don't even ask about my scheduling tools (lists nested within lists nested within lists) during the springtime gardening season ... :eek: LOL! It really is obsessive, but the alternative is for me to stress about getting things done. With my lists and plans, I know it'll all happen in due time.

I have daily and weekly lists, too, in addition to the quarterly plan. And don't even ask about my scheduling tools (lists nested within lists nested within lists) during the springtime gardening season ... :eek: LOL! It really is obsessive, but the alternative is for me to stress about getting things done. With my lists and plans, I know it'll all happen in due time.
Robinne, please tell me that you don't schedule moments of pleasure and passion too....o_O

Robinne, please tell me that you don't schedule moments of pleasure and passion too....o_O
LOL! I sort of do ... only in that, if I know I want to go for a hike or to the beach or something, I'll make sure my schedules and lists get all my stuff done in order to leave a day free for it. And now and again, my husband will sneak an extra to-do--kiss husband--onto my list. And, you know, once it's on the list, I'm compelled to do it ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book-ending my novel

Looking For A WordPress Designer

Back