Go Set A Watchman - the digested read.

Short, Dark Fiction Wanted

The Perils of Pen Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
Some of you will be familiar with the Digested Read column in the Guardian newspaper. Written by John Crace, he creates an amusing pastiche of a book, summing up what happens in about 500 words. His condensed version is both review and a piece of entertainment, and though his writing can be rather acerbic, he's great at puncturing the pretentiousness that surrounds a book that is making the headlines.

This is what he makes of Go Set A Watchman, and you can access more of his dissections of bestsellers by clicking the Digested Read link at the top of the page :

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/19/go-set-a-watchman-harper-lee-digested-read

An assassination. I read the first chapter and didn't fancy the rest. It read like forced rhubarb. It's going to make someone a lot of money, all the same.

An assassination. I read the first chapter and didn't fancy the rest. It read like forced rhubarb. It's going to make someone a lot of money, all the same.

It's reckoned that Harper Lee was already earning more than $9,000 a day from To Kill A Mockingbird. I wonder how sales are going since the release of Go Set A Watchman.
It proves to me that the capacity of the general public to comprehend more than a few book names at any one time is very limited. If an author or a book enters the headlines, then that's what people focus on - never mind how worthy the writing is.
As author and professor Daniel J. Boorstin said : “A best-seller was a book which somehow sold well because it was selling well.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Short, Dark Fiction Wanted

The Perils of Pen Names

Back