Four paths to publishing...which are you on?

The Science of Silly Words

Christmas trees three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emurelda

Basic
Feb 27, 2015
London
I found this truly insightful and also useful.

http://writerswrite.co.za/four-key-book-publishing-paths

I had no idea I was going the community route - I didn't realise that was a 'thing'. It's like discovering the name of a health problem you have and feeling relieved that there is a label for it - except that's a bad example!

Although I will continue to pursue the traditional publishing route I think it does me no harm trying the community route too...which apparently I'm traversing that bumpy path already.

It reminds me of a young man who wrote a book, tried the traditional route - rejected by 40 publishers. Decided to give motivational talks into schools up and down the country being paid whilst giving out his books to the students he gave a talk to- self published - and then getting interest from publishers after distributing 20,000 or so of these books. He gave a LOT of talks. Well done to him.

There are innovative ways...just keep going.

I've found myself hankering for a small, friendly and creative indie publisher. I think I've decided that's what I "want" in life. Not a Bloomsbury. But a cluttered office. With a coffee pot and a cat, and people who love books. Do they still exist?

Last edited:
I've found myself hankering for a small, friendly and creative small publisher. I think I've decided that's what I "want" in life. Not a Bloomsbury. But a cluttered office. With a coffee pot and a cat, and people who love books. Do they still exist?
I think they do, at least I've found some that on paper/web seem to fit that description, as I have a similar hankering to you and I think it is a good way forward if not an end in itself - when I have time I will try to dig up the names and post them...

I've found myself hankering for a small, friendly and creative small publisher. I think I've decided that's what I "want" in life. Not a Bloomsbury. But a cluttered office. With a coffee pot and a cat, and people who love books. Do they still exist?

Yes, I think so. I see them on twitter. The wonderful Canongate started out that way but got big. I think they may still accept direct subs.

Lookeee here: http://www.canongate.tv/submissions

Last edited:
I am definitely on the traditional route, preferably for the big five-- I'm still young enough in my writing to have my dreams :D

However, I would argue that traditional publishing could be broken into two: big houses and small/medium publishers. Because s/m does not require an agent, generally gets better royalties, and there's a different distribution method, I would think it'd have its own section. Just my opinion :)

I am definitely on the traditional route, preferably for the big five-- I'm still young enough in my writing to have my dreams :D

However, I would argue that traditional publishing could be broken into two: big houses and small/medium publishers. Because s/m does not require an agent, generally gets better royalties, and there's a different distribution method, I would think it'd have its own section. Just my opinion :)
Yeah... big five for me too. I want to put my book on as many bookstore shelves as possible, even if it takes years. Let's see if I can name them without Google...

Bantam, Random House, Boomsbury, Harper Collins, Penguin?

Huh. I didn't know Penguin Random House was a thing. I missed Simon&Schuster and Macmillan. Never heard of Macmillan. Oh yes I have, I think. But I would never have gotten it. Surprised I didn't think of S&S fife-playing hat-wearing guy, or whatever. I think Penguin Random House would be my dream, since I first picked up an old beat-up copy of Penguin Classics' Irish Myths and Sagas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Science of Silly Words

Christmas trees three

Back