Forthcoming Open Subs for SF/F writers

Daily Word Counts of Famous Authors

Word count bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harper, not open until 2nd November closes 6th, but novels limited to 90,000 words. Mine are all 97-100,000 words so not sure they'll accept but worth a try.
Gollancz 4th January to 22nd January. Physical (snail mail) copies only.
Angry Robot open for December and January. 70 - 150,000 words. ;)

One last reminder: the last of these open, the Angry Robot one, closes in a few days.

These are really neat to have together on the forum. Anyone have any more coming up to share? Do you randomly stumble across them, or find them announced somewhere else? I think this sort of thread is a fantastic resource for the community to have available. :)

Looking at this, I did submit to Harper Collins Australia ;-)

These are really neat to have together on the forum. Anyone have any more coming up to share? Do you randomly stumble across them, or find them announced somewhere else? I think this sort of thread is a fantastic resource for the community to have available. :)

I heard of literistic.com from reddit/r/writing and I get the email each month which is pretty dense. I'm not sure where else to find this stuff... Below is the list from the January email, but I only tried the sample - I haven't signed up for the paid emails yet.

Grants and Fellowships
Marion Hebb Research Grants ($). For individual creators (writers and visual artists) engaged in research essential to the realization of a publishable work-in-progress. Eligible applicants are professional writers who have completed formal/informal training in their discipline. Applicants must also have one published book or five publications in periodicals or journals. poetry, fiction, non-fiction canada February 1
Roth Residence In Creative Writing ($). Offers four months of unfettered writing time for a poet working on a first or second book. To be eligible, an applicant must be at least 21 years of age, reside in the United States, and not be enrolled as a student in a college or university.poetry united states February 1
Vermont Studio Centre Fellowship ($, fees). 25 Vermont Studio Center (VSC) fellowships open to all visual artists and writers living and working anywhere is the world, based entirely on merit.poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 15
Sustainable Arts Foundation Awards ($, fees). To be eligible, the applicant must have at least one child under the age of 18. Applications open Jan 15.poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 26

Contests

The 12th Annual Literal Literary Postcard Story Contest ($, fees). Send a story and a postcard—the relationship can be as strong or as tangential as you like, so long as there is a clear connection between the story and the image. Maximum length is 500 words.fiction, non-fiction canada February 1
American Short(er) Fiction Contest ($, fees). Stories must be 1,000 words or fewer. You are allowed to include up to three stories per entry.fiction united states February 1
Arc Poem of the Year ($, fees). Entrants may submit up to two unpublished poems. The length of each poem must not exceed 100 lines. Arc welcomes entries from Canada, the United States, and around the world. poetry canada February 1
The Non/fiction Collection Prize ($, fees). Submit an unpublished manuscript of short stories or essays; two or more novellas or novella-length essays; a combination of one or more novellas/novella-length essays and short stories/essays; a combination of stories and essays. Entries must be between 150-350 double-spaced pages.fiction, non-fiction united states February 14
Kore Press Short Fiction Award ($, fees). This competition is open to any female-identified individual writing in English, regardless of nationality. a minimum of 4,000 words and a maximum of 12,000 words. Judge is Edwidge Danticat. fiction united states February 14
New American Poetry Prize ($, fees). The winning manuscript will be published and its author will receive $1,000 and 25 copies. Manuscripts should be at least 48 pages, but there is no maximum length.poetry united states February 15
Epiphany Spring Writer’s Contest ($, fees). 10,000 word maximum for prose, 20 page maximum for poetry.poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 15
Iron Horse Review Single-Author Competition ($, fees). For a collection of poetry, 28-36 pages. poetry united states February 28
Glimmer Train Short Story Award for New Writers ($, fees). Open only to writers whose fiction has not appeared, nor is scheduled to appear, in a print publication with a circulation over 5,000. (Entries must not have appeared in print, but previous online publication is fine.) Most entries run from 1,500 to 6,000 words, but any length story up to 12,000 words is welcome.fiction united states February 28
CBC Creative Nonfiction Prize ($, fees). Submit your original, unpublished work of creative nonfiction between 1200 and 1500 words. Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada can submit.non-fiction canada February 29

Publications

Bellevue Literary Review (fees). Submissions on how memory entwines in our lives and how it affects the body, mind, and relationships. The issue—“Reconstructions: The Art of Memory”—will turn a literary lens to memory as both a critical aspect of human life and a relentlessly precarious process. poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 1
Creative Nonfiction ($, fees). Submissions for a “Learning from Nature” theme issue.non-fiction united states February 1
The Southern Review ($). We accept poetry submissions by mail only.poetry united states February 1
Subterrain ($). Theme issue: Secrets. Poetry, fiction, nonfiction exploring the idea of secrecy. poetry, fiction, non-fiction canada February 15
Vine Leaves Literary Journal ($)poetry, fiction, non-fiction international February 28
Iron Horse Literary Review ($, fees). The "Sports" theme issue.poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 28
Ninth Letter ($)poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 28
Tin House ($)poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 28

I heard of literistic.com from reddit/r/writing and I get the email each month which is pretty dense. I'm not sure where else to find this stuff... Below is the list from the January email, but I only tried the sample - I haven't signed up for the paid emails yet.

Grants and Fellowships
Marion Hebb Research Grants ($). For individual creators (writers and visual artists) engaged in research essential to the realization of a publishable work-in-progress. Eligible applicants are professional writers who have completed formal/informal training in their discipline. Applicants must also have one published book or five publications in periodicals or journals. poetry, fiction, non-fiction canada February 1
Roth Residence In Creative Writing ($). Offers four months of unfettered writing time for a poet working on a first or second book. To be eligible, an applicant must be at least 21 years of age, reside in the United States, and not be enrolled as a student in a college or university.poetry united states February 1
Vermont Studio Centre Fellowship ($, fees). 25 Vermont Studio Center (VSC) fellowships open to all visual artists and writers living and working anywhere is the world, based entirely on merit.poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 15
Sustainable Arts Foundation Awards ($, fees). To be eligible, the applicant must have at least one child under the age of 18. Applications open Jan 15.poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 26

Contests

The 12th Annual Literal Literary Postcard Story Contest ($, fees). Send a story and a postcard—the relationship can be as strong or as tangential as you like, so long as there is a clear connection between the story and the image. Maximum length is 500 words.fiction, non-fiction canada February 1
American Short(er) Fiction Contest ($, fees). Stories must be 1,000 words or fewer. You are allowed to include up to three stories per entry.fiction united states February 1
Arc Poem of the Year ($, fees). Entrants may submit up to two unpublished poems. The length of each poem must not exceed 100 lines. Arc welcomes entries from Canada, the United States, and around the world. poetry canada February 1
The Non/fiction Collection Prize ($, fees). Submit an unpublished manuscript of short stories or essays; two or more novellas or novella-length essays; a combination of one or more novellas/novella-length essays and short stories/essays; a combination of stories and essays. Entries must be between 150-350 double-spaced pages.fiction, non-fiction united states February 14
Kore Press Short Fiction Award ($, fees). This competition is open to any female-identified individual writing in English, regardless of nationality. a minimum of 4,000 words and a maximum of 12,000 words. Judge is Edwidge Danticat. fiction united states February 14
New American Poetry Prize ($, fees). The winning manuscript will be published and its author will receive $1,000 and 25 copies. Manuscripts should be at least 48 pages, but there is no maximum length.poetry united states February 15
Epiphany Spring Writer’s Contest ($, fees). 10,000 word maximum for prose, 20 page maximum for poetry.poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 15
Iron Horse Review Single-Author Competition ($, fees). For a collection of poetry, 28-36 pages. poetry united states February 28
Glimmer Train Short Story Award for New Writers ($, fees). Open only to writers whose fiction has not appeared, nor is scheduled to appear, in a print publication with a circulation over 5,000. (Entries must not have appeared in print, but previous online publication is fine.) Most entries run from 1,500 to 6,000 words, but any length story up to 12,000 words is welcome.fiction united states February 28
CBC Creative Nonfiction Prize ($, fees). Submit your original, unpublished work of creative nonfiction between 1200 and 1500 words. Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada can submit.non-fiction canada February 29

Publications

Bellevue Literary Review (fees). Submissions on how memory entwines in our lives and how it affects the body, mind, and relationships. The issue—“Reconstructions: The Art of Memory”—will turn a literary lens to memory as both a critical aspect of human life and a relentlessly precarious process. poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 1
Creative Nonfiction ($, fees). Submissions for a “Learning from Nature” theme issue.non-fiction united states February 1
The Southern Review ($). We accept poetry submissions by mail only.poetry united states February 1
Subterrain ($). Theme issue: Secrets. Poetry, fiction, nonfiction exploring the idea of secrecy. poetry, fiction, non-fiction canada February 15
Vine Leaves Literary Journal ($)poetry, fiction, non-fiction international February 28
Iron Horse Literary Review ($, fees). The "Sports" theme issue.poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 28
Ninth Letter ($)poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 28
Tin House ($)poetry, fiction, non-fiction united states February 28

Thanks for the info, I am sure it will be very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daily Word Counts of Famous Authors

Word count bank

Back