Folks Subbing to Agents: Get Your Skates On!

The Cost Of Writing

Fame and the Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell yeah it is — I've submitted to three of their agents, over the past four months.

Be careful about this. Most agencies I've seen say not to pitch to more than one agent at their agency because they will pass an interesting query to the other agents if they don't feel it's right for them. A no from one is a no from all. Some even say that if you do submit to more than one, it'll be trashed. I'm not sure what Curtis Brown's rules are specifically, but you should check that to be sure.

Like Nicole, I would take that as one tweet only. One pitch, one tweet. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I really wouldn't worry if one or the other CB agent sent a 'no' before. This is an open event and I don't see any rule saying, never, ever darken our door again.

I read this as only tweeting your book's pitch once. If you have a second book ready as well, then you can tweet that too.

Sounds to me like you only pitch once total.
Like Nicole, I would take that as one tweet only. One pitch, one tweet. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I really wouldn't worry if one or the other CB agent sent a 'no' before. This is an open event and I don't see any rule saying, never, ever darken our door again.
I read this as only tweeting your book's pitch once. If you have a second book ready as well, then you can tweet that too.
I took it that way too; I just didn't want to cut myself off at the knees if it turned out you could actually put out several. I'll pick out the best one from #Pit2pub...

Doesn't say anything about genre hashtags, like #YA #A #SFF etc...

Be careful about this. Most agencies I've seen say not to pitch to more than one agent at their agency because they will pass an interesting query to the other agents if they don't feel it's right for them. A no from one is a no from all. Some even say that if you do submit to more than one, it'll be trashed. I'm not sure what Curtis Brown's rules are specifically, but you should check that to be sure.
I wondered about this also, but it doesn't say anywhere, one way or the other.

The two agents say via their links what they are currently interested in seeing.
Whew, you scared me there. I'm good. Rebecca Ritchie looks for historical fiction and exotic settings. Richard Pike in particular likes debut authors, and a speculative/fantastical edge.

And this guy is one of his authors.
square

I think I can hang with this guy.

Also these guys.
blues_brothers__2_.JPG

Generally they don't like you pitching to multiple agents, so watch that one. Haven't had any luck with either, although I haven't tried Conville Walsh for more than a year, so I might try them with one I haven't sent before. Thanks for the link.

Whew, you scared me there. I'm good. Rebecca Ritchie looks for historical fiction and exotic settings. Richard Pike in particular likes debut authors, and a speculative/fantastical edge.

And this guy is one of his authors.
square

I think I can hang with this guy.

Also these guys.
View attachment 235

They do also say:
- The events are open to unpublished authors looking for agent representation. Fiction and non-fiction submissions, of any genre, are welcomed.​
So for the rest of us, don't hesitate to submit, even if it's not what those agents typically look for. :)

So... Twitter is an open platform yes? I wonder if there's a sense of honour among the agents(!) or if, when Monday rolls around, the other agents will be scanning through the hashtags looking for un-favourited tweets that they like enough to represent? Or even try to poach or get in a bidding war?

Hmmm....

Graham

I'll keep an eye out and give you a RT if I spot any of you. :) Good luck!

(Goodness there are some weirdos on there favouriting pitches that are most certainly not agents!)

Emergency advice needed! I've just joined Twitter to do this but can't seem to get my tweet to appear on the PitchCB timeline, despite using the hashtag in my tweet. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. It will be there. Use the hashtag, then when that stream opens click on an option at the top saying LIVE, Steven.

I've done that Katie-Ellen and it's not showing. Could it be because I've literally just joined? I suppose there's always next month...

Well, I had to set up a whole new account to finally get it to work. There's an hour of my life down the drain!

Unless... (fingers crossed so painfully they're close to dislocating)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cost Of Writing

Fame and the Writer

Back