Finally going to take the plunge on a novel

C

Freebie from a Oldie, back here as a Newbie

E

Fanfare! For all you Fantasy Writers out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Meerkat

I've had a sci-fi novel idea for at least five years that I haven't done squat with. For a while, I thought I couldn't write it because I wouldn't be able to do the research properly. For the last six months, though, I haven't done anything because I knew some of the material I'd have to use as research would be upsetting to me (there's pretty much a Dr. Frankenstein in it).

I finally decided this week that I needed to stop worrying about how I was going to do the research, as well as stop being a coward about reading the stuff. So I ordered the first research book last night.

Here goes.

Good luck! I know what you mean about a story-line getting stuck in your head. My first book's rough story-line was stuck in mine for more than 20 years... then I wrote it all down. It didn't help, though. Now I have the story line for the sequel stuck in there....oh, well. What can you do?

If you need any help with the research or interpretation thereof, Meerkat, my day-job used to be biomedical research and I am still heavily involved in biotech. Not sure if that is the field you are writing in or not.

I've had a sci-fi novel idea for at least five years that I haven't done squat with. For a while, I thought I couldn't write it because I wouldn't be able to do the research properly. For the last six months, though, I haven't done anything because I knew some of the material I'd have to use as research would be upsetting to me (there's pretty much a Dr. Frankenstein in it).

I finally decided this week that I needed to stop worrying about how I was going to do the research, as well as stop being a coward about reading the stuff. So I ordered the first research book last night.

Here goes.

I'm sorry Meerkat...but when I see your avatar "There are strange things afoot at the circle K" runs through my twisted mind...

Yayayay! Congrats and best wishes on the Big Start! I am writing a science fiction kind of sort of by accident. I agree that with sci fy, there is a large element of creativity and imagination. My series deals with genetics and my brother and his wife work in the field so I go to them with my questions and read through whatever research they can lend me, but ultimately I am the one bridging the gap of reality and fiction. Don't let yourself be intimidated!

If you need any help with the research or interpretation thereof, Meerkat, my day-job used to be biomedical research and I am still heavily involved in biotech. Not sure if that is the field you are writing in or not.

Actually . . . it is! I'll definitely be asking you questions. Thanks!

Good luck to you. Remember we are all here for support should the road become narrow and the load become a bit too much to bear xx

The best and only sensible thing to do, is do it! So dive in an enjoy. You will probably find the need for more research as you write, so, just write and the rest will follow.

What James says is true. You are given some wiggle room with sci-fi research, depending on what you want to do. It all varies with the story and premise. I continue to research mine, as it's important to the plot how the planet changed and recovered (or failed to recover) from global warming 300 years in the future. But it depends on what you think is necessary. You are the master!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Freebie from a Oldie, back here as a Newbie

E

Fanfare! For all you Fantasy Writers out there...

Back