Guess what's coming up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And sometimes I be like...
10425516_338693722981603_5542161483534024886_n.jpg

1798753_341063792744596_2091387747377434549_n.jpg

Lol!

I miss my cats :(

Haha I can't get over how pissed off both of your cats look.
Magic (the black tabby - yes she has black on black stripes) had just woke up. Nym is 1/2 Scottish Wild Cat ;) SHe ALWAYS looks pissed lol
11229821_387527671431541_866443975586207533_n.jpg

ever since we first got her
10277147_251847921666184_6729499199798913345_n.jpg

She was awesome. Used to sing and open doors. She acted more like a dog than a cat. (I secretly miss her most)

Magic (the black tabby - yes she has black on black stripes) had just woke up. Nym is 1/2 Scottish Wild Cat ;) SHe ALWAYS looks pissed lol
11229821_387527671431541_866443975586207533_n.jpg

ever since we first got her
10277147_251847921666184_6729499199798913345_n.jpg

She was awesome. Used to sing and open doors. She acted more like a dog than a cat. (I secretly miss her most)
*tears up from the cuteness*
I'm not crying - you're crying
2015-04-05-3.jpg

Back to movies...I would say the LOTR movies are as good as the books. They certainly improved dramatically on the dialogue over the books!
Exactly.

Movie:
“We should go through the Mines of Moria. My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome!”
“No Gimli, I would not go through Moria unless I had no other choice.”

Book:
“Good Gimli! You encourage me. We will seek the hidden doors together. And we will come through. In the ruins of the Dwarves, a dwarf’s head will be less easy to bewuilder than Elves or Men or Hobbits. Yet it will not be the first time that I have been to Moria. I sought there long for Thrain son of Thror after he was lost. I passed through, and I came out again alive!”

Yep! Tolkien was a historian, not a novelist, and it shows in the books...not that I haven't read them a MILLION times, mind you. Still a great story! He just needed a good editor ;) (don't we all!) And, of course, I'm partial to the movies because I've been to many of the places where it was filmed, and it's a fun exercise to imagine...what if all that were real, and we'd come across a band of orcs while tramping...or what if there really were elves in Fiordland?

Well, I have seen Legolas, but at the library, not in the woods. And when the cat wakes me at 3am by hurling himself against the front door, repeatedly, for an hour, you could be forgiven for mistaking me for an orc...
Hahaha, good ol' Malevolent Beast from Hell... is that his actual name?

No, his actual name is Don Gato (you know the song...Oh Senior Don Gato was a cat. On a high red roof Don Gato sat...") But he's mostly referred to as "Beast" sometimes "Vile Beast" I have only known one cat with a worse disposition. We called her "Slash". Don Gato isn't quite so bad, but he's bigger. I am never without a fresh wound from him.
But he does do a nice job on the mice and rats, so I don't tie rocks to his feet and throw him in the lake.

No, his actual name is Don Gato (you know the song...Oh Senior Don Gato was a cat. On a high red roof Don Gato sat...") But he's mostly referred to as "Beast" sometimes "Vile Beast" I have only known one cat with a worse disposition. We called her "Slash". Don Gato isn't quite so bad, but he's bigger. I am never without a fresh wound from him.
But he does do a nice job on the mice and rats, so I don't tie rocks to his feet and throw him in the lake.
Hahahaha! Good ol' Don Gato...

Exactly.

Movie:
“We should go through the Mines of Moria. My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome!”
“No Gimli, I would not go through Moria unless I had no other choice.”

Book:
“Good Gimli! You encourage me. We will seek the hidden doors together. And we will come through. In the ruins of the Dwarves, a dwarf’s head will be less easy to bewuilder than Elves or Men or Hobbits. Yet it will not be the first time that I have been to Moria. I sought there long for Thrain son of Thror after he was lost. I passed through, and I came out again alive!”

Pah. Apples and oranges. The book dialogue wouldn't work in a film, but that's not the point. The point is, can the simplified film adaptation of a given story provide anything like the same quality of experience for the viewer as the more complex, subtle and many-layered written version does for the reader? In most cases, I think not (this thread was started because the exceptions to this rule are IMHO few and notable). As I said, I haven't seen the LOTR films, but -- a priori -- I can't imagine that they could compete with what the stories did for me when I first read them as a child. And the LOTR trailers I have seen have only consolidated my opinion - there was one (I think set in Moria) where the director had seen fit to write in some puerile joke about dwarf-tossing. Totally out of place. But perhaps I'm just out of step with the times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Serial Killers of the World Unite!

J

Guess what's coming up...

Back