Help! Editor needed

E

Fanfare! For all you Fantasy Writers out there...

Open University - Free Writing course

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jennifer Stone

I posted yesterday about submissions to Mythic Dragon. I had a response today, they loved the story but feel it needs a lot of editing, they provided me with a sample of my work as they'd like to see it. Mostly formatting and spelling, (darn American laptop!). Does anyone know any good editing companies? I don't have money to spare right now but I'm looking for names. I can get quotes at a later date.

Thanks guys.

Whatever publisher program you use should have a spell checker to start with. It should also give you the choice of English Uk or USA or Australia even. If it doesn't get a decent one that does. There are free one's out there. They also should provide all the formatting you need, first line indent, choice of line spacing from 1, 1.5 and double, etc etc. Any editing company is going to charge you I'm afraid. I haven't finished your novel yet but I'll shot over what I've done/seen so far as an example.

Thanks Alistair, also if anyone else wants to give it a more critical editorial overview, send me a message.

I'd be rather wary of a publisher that didn't offer editing since good editing is so essential. It would make me wonder what else they don't do

I'd be rather wary of a publisher that didn't offer editing since good editing is so essential. It would make me wonder what else they don't do

They said my work needed more than the overall edit they do and recommended a professional editor. I'm going to try myself first, primarily for cash reasons, but also, I'm wary of a personal recommendation like this. How do I know this editor doesn't secretly work for the publisher and would've ended up editing my work anyway?

1) I love your avatar. I quote her all the time -- "What's a girl like you doing with a guy like him?" "He makes me laugh!"

2) I'd say that for most companies, they would be fine with a submission that only needs basic copy editing, but I can understand their wanting heavy or developmental editing before accepting it. My guess is it's one of those two that they want to see done. If you're still looking for an editor, I am available. My website (below, or should be) has my rates -- I'm cheap because I just officially opened. I do basic copy editing, heavy copy editing, and developmental editing -- don't know which the company wants you to do, but it should be covered in those services. I've edited novels, non-fiction, articles, and (the real fun) instruction manuals.

1) I love your avatar. I quote her all the time -- "What's a girl like you doing with a guy like him?" "He makes me laugh!"

2) I'd say that for most companies, they would be fine with a submission that only needs basic copy editing, but I can understand their wanting heavy or developmental editing before accepting it. My guess is it's one of those two that they want to see done. If you're still looking for an editor, I am available. My website (below, or should be) has my rates -- I'm cheap because I just officially opened. I do basic copy editing, heavy copy editing, and developmental editing -- don't know which the company wants you to do, but it should be covered in those services. I've edited novels, non-fiction, articles, and (the real fun) instruction manuals.

Thanks Meerkat, I'll have a look-see, I could send you a sample to see what I've done so far. If you'd be interested, send me a private message.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm busy for the next week or two but after that I could do an edit of the first few chapters (for free). If that fits your schedule, let me know and I'll pm my email address to you.

Smiles
Bob

Hi Jennifer,

I'm busy for the next week or two but after that I could do an edit of the first few chapters (for free). If that fits your schedule, let me know and I'll pm my email address to you.

Smiles
Bob

Thanks for the offer Bob, i might take you up on it.

Did you get this edited professionally in the end Jennifer? Quite encouraging that the agency gave such a simple solution to your work. Did you resubmit to them post-editing?

Did you get this edited professionally in the end Jennifer? Quite encouraging that the agency gave such a simple solution to your work. Did you resubmit to them post-editing?

Hi Emurelda, I'm still working on editing myself atm, Book 1 is revised and ready for a beta read. After two years of hearing only generic refusals 'sorry it's not what we're looking for', it was nice to get actual feedback. It lifted my spirits to know it wasn't a bad story and I wasn't a terrible writer (I had started to wonder!). I want to do a bit more editing before I re-submit (I sent all 3 parts as one manuscript), but I plan to by the end of this year.

Well done Jennifer. It's nice to learn that the process may seem slow but it's still cooking :)

Being my first time writing a shorter than average novel I wondered why it is taking so long but this seems to be the norm. All MS are working towards perfection...or as good as. And authors too ;)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Fanfare! For all you Fantasy Writers out there...

Open University - Free Writing course

Back