Does this scare anyone else as much as it scares me?

D

#SFFpit - A twitter Speed Date for SF writers

A

Fanfare! Viewers Choice for the Romancing the URL Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Joan

Basic
Aug 26, 2014
Found the below in a blog, on the topic of 'do publishers hate writers', from several months ago. 'Intellectual property', in the context of the article, refers to the stuff authors write, i.e. your books / stories and mine. My question: is the below indicative of a real trend and future problem, or is it just scare-mongering? Perhaps Agent Pete would have a view?

Intellectual property will eventually become a very cheap commodity. It will be sold by one or two companies and by monthly subscription. The creator will be forced to comply with whatever contract the two companies offer.

This is why large companies like Amazon allow piracy. They are only interested in establishing the monopoly, the platform, the reading device, the service. They made it possible for one to download 10,000 kindle books with a single click on a torrent file link, because they convinced everyone they need the electronic format. But how high are the ebook sales? Ebooks took only a small part of the mass market paperback sales. These companies don't give a damn about the creator. They will even buy a book from the reader to sell to another reader without paying the creator. The patent for the electronic format is ready and they are doing it for the print formats already on a massive scale.

They will eventually say $0.05 per reading is good money for the author when there will be no other distribution option. The fun thing is that many will be happy. Many will offer their books for free. And very few people see where this is going.

Authors believe that they are the same with musicians. No, we have nothing in common with musicians. Musicians just want their music heard so they can book dates for the live music performance. This is where the money is, tickets, sponsors, promotional material, the t-shirts. Authors only have their intellectual property, and soon, it will not be worth anything.

Another issue. With self-publishing of all types of books, in a few decades from now, the large companies will have unlimited content in master form, ready to be sold. That includes the photos of that art photo album you printed in 2 copies and also your self-published novel. Your kids will have no property in their hands to sell, you have given away masters of your work. It doesn't matter what it was. You have given it away in master form, ready to be exploited commercially when the time comes. When the rights expire or are claimed abandoned through loopholes in the law.

Meanwhile, they are digitizing anything, only because it's cheap to do, ignoring the laws about reproduction. They want to be ready for offering the mega libraries, and the pay per use stock photography for a monthly subscription. They cannot do that easily with books from the 19th century, because that actually costs money to OCR and edit to a good searchable form, but we, the modern idiots, are offering the content for free in master electronic format, so we can sell 100 copies.

If you don't believe that's the long term goal, try getting your content removed from the databases of the print on demand service you use. An opt-out of course like all scams. The more honest ones will say it's impossible until you get a lawyer to contact them with a legal threat. Others will simply keep it on their servers because there is no way you can check, and the license agreements usually allows them to keep it.

So, it's not the publisher who hates the writer. Publishers and readers are the only people who DON'T hate the writer. And readers, when the time comes to get unlimited reading for $5 a month, will not give a damn if the writer is being exploited by a monopoly. You can't depend on readers. They have no investment in this.

Writers and publishers can do something about the situation before it's too late. But it will take very important publishers and very important writers. And I mean important from a market point of view. And that's unlikely to happen before it's too late.

You can't stress about that which you are unable to change. I doubt this will turn out to be the case. If it does, then like Rome we will have decayed so much that our collapse is not far off, and at that point author's IP rights will be the least of our worries.

Great piece. I think it all runs very true. The factor the article fails to take account of is quality.
Anyone who's ever spent time on Wattpad will know there are plenty of 'authors' out there producing written work that is simply not worth anybody's time.
The value of any decent on-demand content system is that it needs to be curated for quality, and at that point collections become exclusive, tightly regulated and popular.
Perhaps the business model of the future will be all about getting your content on the right stream, the premium channel, that actually pays a decent click-rate.
Bring it on. I'll take my chances.

This is too big a topic to post anything but the most anodyne of thoughts, alas.

The writer is quite cynical. I can understand that, but it doesn’t actually get us anywhere.

It is true that the tech companies have bye and large eaten publishers’ lunches. They came, they saw, they gave it all away for free, to build their own market share.

But that isn’t the end of the story.

And now I need a drink... :)

I'm a great believer in markets and entrepreneurs. Complacency=death. Mature markets are always open to attack from paradigm-shifters, and the time will come for the likes of Amazon. I'm old enough to remember when IBM ruled the world as the leading tech company - where is it now? Sci-fi writers here and elsewhere have already seen some possible futures. Even I can think of a few.

I think the death of conventional/e-book sales is over-played. When e-b00ks came out, a lot of people said conventional books were dead (even Agent Pete to an extent ;-)). They aren't, and the balance between the two seems to be stabilising. Similarly, Spotify and the like has not seen off CDs and downloads, just taken a part of the share. And at the moment Spotify is not in profit - if they squeeze publishers too much, they will start to lose content.

There's no doubt there will be 'all you can eat' book facilities via e-book providers - Amazon already do a form of this, though not all publishers play along. But it is not the sole future of publishing.

I think the death of conventional/e-book sales is over-played. When e-b00ks came out, a lot of people said conventional books were dead (even Agent Pete to an extent ;-)). They aren't, and the balance between the two seems to be stabilising. Similarly, Spotify and the like has not seen off CDs and downloads, just taken a part of the share. And at the moment Spotify is not in profit - if they squeeze publishers too much, they will start to lose content.

There's no doubt there will be 'all you can eat' book facilities via e-book providers - Amazon already do a form of this, though not all publishers play along. But it is not the sole future of publishing.
iTunes is certainly the 'new' CD, but you can still go out and buy CDs. They predicted the death of the printed newspaper, with the ubiquity of internet news, and that hasn't happened (yet) either. BitTorrent has certainly hurt music sales, but not enough to do real damage.

They thought TV would be the death of family conversation — oh wait...

It was either National Geographic or Mental Floss that ran a piece on predictions from The Experts on the future. One said that within ten years, we will not own anything but will just "subscribe" to everything we used to own. That seemed like a horrible idea to me.

Another "expert" happily reported that within twenty years we would conquer death. But nobody mentioned conquering overpopulation, so, well. (I, personally, would not relish living to be hundreds of years old. Even if I were in good health and looked 27 for the rest of my life -- noap.)

Another "expert" happily reported that within twenty years we would conquer death. But nobody mentioned conquering overpopulation, so, well. (I, personally, would not relish living to be hundreds of years old. Even if I were in good health and looked 27 for the rest of my life -- noap.)
Maybe it will function similarly to Jupiter Ascending...

Writers and publishers can do something about the situation before it's too late. But it will take very important publishers and very important writers. And I mean important from a market point of view. And that's unlikely to happen before it's too late.

I wonder when or what circumstance the point of no return occurs. Extrapolations are easy, they are straight lines revealing simple conclusions. But i really think there is only,so much 'virtual' one can take in their life. Even with the next generations. The tangible can never truly be replaced.

I wonder when or what circumstance the point of no return occurs. Extrapolations are easy, they are straight lines revealing simple conclusions. But i really think there is only,so much 'virtual' one can take in their life. Even with the next generations. The tangible can never truly be replaced.
Can it not? There's no telling what will happen when Generation Z (the sequel to World War Z) comes of age and begins to to dictate policy — they were born in a world where Kindle and Twitter dominate.

Bu remember, everything is circular. In America, it was once imperative that everything be modern, perfect, technological. Then there was a backlash, and now we have the back-to-nature and DIY movement. So if there IS a move to everything being intangible, eventually people will clamor for tangible again.

Bu remember, everything is circular. In America, it was once imperative that everything be modern, perfect, technological. Then there was a backlash, and now we have the back-to-nature and DIY movement. So if there IS a move to everything being intangible, eventually people will clamor for tangible again.

Yes I like to call it the pendulum swing - it swings both extremes ;) Once society reaches one extreme there is always a pull towards the other end. Where we reside within that spectrum is where marketeers come in - or just good old fashioned wisdom can predict.

Can it not? There's no telling what will happen when Generation Z (the sequel to World War Z) comes of age and begins to to dictate policy — they were born in a world where Kindle and Twitter dominate.

Yes but we were also born in the era of databases, and computers. Yet still archiving reams of paperwork. And last I checked the British Library still insist on a physical copy of every published book. Someone correct me please.

Very true. Also Edwardian facial hair. Excellent point.

Yes but we were also born in the era of databases, and computers. Yet still archiving reams of paperwork. And last I checked the British Library still insist on a physical copy of every published book. Someone correct me please.
So does the Library of Congress here, but the question is for how long, as things like Google Books become less error-ridden and more ubiquitous.

Good morning, I'm very new here. I have over 1700 books I can read but instead of reading one of them, I read this blog post. I noticed that there isn't any sort of support for what is said in the original blog post - not sure what site it came from. I think I'm going to stick with what I know. I will provide it without support. They are just my beliefs.

There aren't any new stories.
It's okay that authors have no hope of writing something wholly original because originality is not why people read.
People read for an emotional experience.
There will always be those authors who stand out in terms of providing said emotional experience. They will always be irreplaceable.
It's been my observation that sometimes success has to do with timing. Whatever themes or mythos are alive in our collective unconscious at any given time will gain the attention of readers. Example: 50 Shades of Grey - horrible book, not the first time a power exchange story has been in print, not at all - Why are housewives giggling over it?
Sometimes success - or in terms of this discussion standing out among the archived bytes - has to do with talent. Beautiful language is music. Readers will dance to it.
Most importantly, we die without story and since we live in a culture dying from literalism, I find it more likely that people will turn more and more to story. I believe this because people always seek to relieve their suffering and yes, story will do that. I believe story is essential to the minds, hearts, and yes soul of human beings.

Finally..... If you're lucky enough to get paid to write, I'm so happy for you. If the primary reason you write, is for the nickel, I feel sorry for you. I'm trying to imagine a time when 'Author' would have been listed as the top paying jobs for college graduates and I can't do it in spite of being a very fanciful person. It's been a long time since we've really valued our storytellers. Although, I imagine you could find tribes in so called 'primitive' cultures who value their storytellers.

S0 - not worried about the archived bytes. - or as the original post said 'unlimited content'.

Good morning, I'm very new here. I have over 1700 books I can read but instead of reading one of them, I read this blog post. I noticed that there isn't any sort of support for what is said in the original blog post - not sure what site it came from. I think I'm going to stick with what I know. I will provide it without support. They are just my beliefs.

There aren't any new stories.
It's okay that authors have no hope of writing something wholly original because originality is not why people read.
People read for an emotional experience.
There will always be those authors who stand out in terms of providing said emotional experience. They will always be irreplaceable.
It's been my observation that sometimes success has to do with timing. Whatever themes or mythos are alive in our collective unconscious at any given time will gain the attention of readers. Example: 50 Shades of Grey - horrible book, not the first time a power exchange story has been in print, not at all - Why are housewives giggling over it?
Sometimes success - or in terms of this discussion standing out among the archived bytes - has to do with talent. Beautiful language is music. Readers will dance to it.
Most importantly, we die without story and since we live in a culture dying from literalism, I find it more likely that people will turn more and more to story. I believe this because people always seek to relieve their suffering and yes, story will do that. I believe story is essential to the minds, hearts, and yes soul of human beings.

Finally..... If you're lucky enough to get paid to write, I'm so happy for you. If the primary reason you write, is for the nickel, I feel sorry for you. I'm trying to imagine a time when 'Author' would have been listed as the top paying jobs for college graduates and I can't do it in spite of being a very fanciful person. It's been a long time since we've really valued our storytellers. Although, I imagine you could find tribes in so called 'primitive' cultures who value their storytellers.

S0 - not worried about the archived bytes. - or as the original post said 'unlimited content'.
Spankings, Amber. They're giggling about spankings.

And valid points. Even in that dystopian future, we'd still be happily writing away.

Interesting Amber, there was a time when story-tellers aka poets were prized very highly. But that was a couple of thousand years ago, but we can live in hope. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

#SFFpit - A twitter Speed Date for SF writers

A

Fanfare! Viewers Choice for the Romancing the URL Contest

Back