Depressing but true...

Your Biography

Limmerick's From Popular Books. Can You Write One in Under Five Minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's why, first and foremost, we write for the love of it, the passionate need to tell the story. Unlike people who like to paint, who get satisfaction from the process alone, writing is about what it is at the end and how the reader lives it as it unfolds in their mind.
A tough ask, but we know what it feels like and we want to share that feeling, spread the story far and wide.

If I wanted to make more money than I do from writing, I should go panning for gold, as Cornwall's streams are said to be good for prospecting. People who don't read books, and even some that do, believe that writing is the road to riches, but earning money in the book world shadows the economy as a whole. The 1% rule. Although she's donated hundreds of millions to charity, J.K. Rowling is said to earn £142 per minute which equals £8,480 an hour or £203,508 a day meaning £6,190,042 per month. That income rolls in whether she's writing or not. o_O

It would be good to write stories that generate income, but, for most of us being creative satisfies an urge. There's nothing worse that regretting things you didn't do.

It makes you wonder how many talented writers are being lost to the world through the simple need to earn enough money to stay alive and feed a family. We aren't wealthy, but I still have the luxury of time to spend on the writing. Yes, it would be great if all the hours of effort would generate me some income at some point, but I'm well aware that may never happen and it doesn't stop me.

Most of all, I want readers. Because I think there are a lot of potential readers out there who would enjoy my books. Publishing is the way to disseminate our work to a wider audience. That's why I want a publishing deal. The money consideration is secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your Biography

Limmerick's From Popular Books. Can You Write One in Under Five Minutes?

Back