Decision time

Scriptwriters, Radio Drama opportunity

Fun or Profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Steele

All of us are here because, in some way or other, writing is a big deal to us. It's obviously something we find worth discussing because - here we are, discussing it.

I mean, twitter is fine if you only want to post links, but the thing that sets us apart is the fact that we're actually interested in the conversation because we're genuinely drawn to the subject.

But why? There must have been some point in your life when you chose to define yourself as a writer. There must have been a moment when you thought - "You know what? This is me." as you picked up the pen.
What an odd choice to make. We could have been so many things.
Why this? What happened?

For me, it was a very exasperated English teacher reading out my short story in class and saying "For heavens sake, David - why do you never hand your work in? I would struggle to write this well, and you only even turn up to class when it's raining. I despair of you because you're wasting such a rare talent."

Maybe she was only saying it because she knew it would flick the switch. (I'm a man. Like most men, the Ego switch is easy to find). Maybe she genuinely meant it. But that moment in 1987 changed my life.

How about you?

I can't identify a specific moment. It was more a case of realising how thrilling reading was to me, and how I learned so much from books (pre-Internet era, remember), which made me want to create my own work.

I love sharing information and introducing people to new things, both for pleasure and in a 'knowledge is power' way. I was restoring classic vehicles and renovating old houses back in the 1980s, which involved a lot of complicated work that I decided to share by writing magazine articles about the process.

Apart from marvelling at the creative powers of some novelists and poets, I'm also motivated by reading utter rubbish! My writing resurgence in 2013 began after a long period of depression. This darkness wasn't entirely wasted, as I was reading a novel a day. Although I was highly selective, for life is simply too short to waste it reading crap books, I still borrowed the occasional dud from my local library.

One well-reviewed novel made me so angry that I literally threw it across the room, as it was so badly written. I may start a thread about books that Colonists hate, but for the moment I am trying to maintain buoyant positivity. Another book that inspired me, was more of a novella. Written by a well-respected British novelist whose work I've enjoyed for years, it was so slight and unchallenging that I thought she must have written it over a long weekend. I've since found out that she wrote it following a major period of depression, so it was something of a light at the end of the tunnel for her.

I decided then and there to do something about all of the literary ideas that were bubbling out of me, beginning with poetry and short stories, before moving on to novellas and song lyrics, eventually deciding to devote 2014 to writing my first novel.

it was so slight and unchallenging that I thought she must have written it over a long weekend. I've since found out that she wrote it following a major period of depression, so it was something of a light at the end of the tunnel for her.

Good lesson, that. Often we judge people / writers / by what we see (final product) without giving any thought to the mental processes / decisions / background that got them there.

You know, I hardly ever stop to think about that. Case to point - a recent James Herbert book that was terrible. (I honestly can't remember the title) It's been slated on Amazon and stuff. I wonder if it's the result of illness or something.

I was eight years old and we were living in a dump on rent, my father had left two years earlier, leaving my mother on her own to raise three of us, and I was the oldest at six when he left. She couldn't find work because it was the mid-1960's and life was different, plus she had no one to watch us. We were on public assistance but my mother took in typing at home for extra money.

She had a portable typewriter she'd borrowed from someone and she let me play around on it when she wasn't using it. I didn't know how to type, so it was hunt and peck back then, but I wrote stories about animals and aliens, mostly. She eventually was able to go back to work once she felt we were old enough to leave alone after school and during the summers, but the typewriter had been sold by then, or given back to the person she'd borrowed it from. I don't remember which.

So I took to carrying around a notebook filled with handwritten stories, by this time mostly having to do with teenage angst and unrequited love. ;) My English teachers in junior high (what we now call middle school) and high school all told me I should write, but I didn't receive the same encouragement to follow my dreams at home, so I ended up majoring in psychology the first time around in college, but I never stopped writing.

Then when I came home after earning that degree, I went to nursing school, but I still kept writing. I met my husband, we were married, and we had our daughter, Nicole. When she was about two, I bought my own typewriter (still no computer!!) and wrote what would eventually become His Majesty's Secret. It was shorter back then, full of newbie mistakes, had a different title, and even the hero and heroine had different names. I sent it off and racked up over 100 rejections, but I still went on to write two more romances - both of these were time travel romance - and racked up over 100 rejections again.

I think by the time I decided to take a different approach, I had garnered somewhere in the neighborhood of 240 rejections. I joined RWA (Romance Writers of America), I sought out places online (had a computer by then!!) to learn the craft of writing, and then one day in 2010 I found the original Litopia.

I rewrote that same first manuscript again, with a new title and new names for the main characters, and this time I had some partial requests and one full request. But the manuscript that finally had an offer attached to it was a romantic suspense called Haunted Heart. It was the only book I published with Etopia Press, and when I got my rights back two years later (long story - suffice it to say I would never send another book there!), about 80% of that story made it into my Passion Peak, Colorado series as Tara Rose for Siren-Bookstrand.

My first offer was for Haunted Heart in February of 2011, but my first publication was The Last Soul - book 1 of my Seduced By A Demon series, in April of 2011 as Carolyn Rosewood. It was published by Evernight. Four years later, I've written close to 80 books and have 72 books published or under contract, and three pen names. I always knew I wanted to write. It just took me four decades to do something concrete about it. :)

I had garnered somewhere in the neighborhood of 240 rejections. ... I always knew I wanted to write. It just took me four decades to do something concrete about it. :)

RESPECT. That's the very definition of paying your dues.

I've not yet decided to define myself as a writer properly. I've only written one full ms so far, I feel I'd need more under my belt before committing to the role wholeheartedly. I'm working on it, don't worry.
I've always enjoyed reading and getting whisked away on fantastical adventures. It seemed only natural to want to write my own.

I have always loved to write, and had written many short stories, but the moment I knew I wanted to take it seriously was 2012. I attended a writers conference in New York (my first trip by myself) and went to a writing intensive taught by Steve and Elizabeth Berry, who then introduced me to Lee Child. Talking with them and seeing how much I wanted to be like them--and how much I already was like them--I knew it. Came back home and started writing again. :)

There was no real decision point. It always felt natural, somehow. The reason I started listening to my 'natural' feelings, however, and acting on them in a serious way, was precipitated by intimations of mortality. Do something now, I thought, or you never will.

That's a funny question for me. I don't think I ever decided to call myself a writer until someone else said I was and I realised that they were right.

I was always just told that I would never be a writer and I should find something else I was good at, so I said fair do's and went on with my life. Then in 2013 I decided that I wanted to "learn to write" so I could write stories for my kids.

When I say learn to write I am talking about grammar, my imagination has been wild since I could speak, likely before though I don't remember creating scenarios before I could talk (I do remember vividly times in my life when I was very young, perhaps only 8 or 9 months old) and when I started speaking before I turned 1 I just never stopped. That being said, I have always struggled with spelling, punctuation, grammar, telling the time, maths, right and left and other coordination things. On the flip side I can just do a lot of things that take people years to learn. I don't understand it, and I don't want to try and understand it, I just accept it for what it is... A little to the left of normal.

Anyway... tangent. I went to the OU to learn about Grammar, and I have to say I came out with very little new knowledge; other than that I can't keep a notebook to save myself; I hate writing structured poetry - though I at times like to read it; apparently the publishing industry prefers single speech marks for direct speech and double for quotes though neither is wrong for either but they prefer it just so - that was actually my lecturer's explanation; colons not only signify a list but connect two whole sentences - the 2nd of which is perfectly acceptable to be capitalised - I think this must be a new thing because I keep hearing that it's wrong, yet it is taught as correct in nationally recognised courses; and that adverb culls are really very satisfying.

What the OU did teach me was the habit of writing as often as I can. I think that's when I realised that that was it, that was what I wanted to do. Because I'd rather be writing than doing anything else. And those kids books never did get written... they will at some point, once I've finished the saga and any stand alones that are connected to it.

When I was eleven, one day in my seventh-grade English class we had the assignment to write a little story about the prompt, "you are walking on the beach at night, and a large black dog is running toward you through the surf." For me, it was a hound, broken into this plane of existence and immediately followed by a knight on a horse with sword drawn, charging me down. I ignored all the other assignments from my other classes, and did nothing but write because I just had to know why this knight was in our world, and coming after me in particular. What did I do to deserve it? How did it happen?

Then I had to write a sequel, and another and another, borrowing heavily (plagiarizing) from The Legend of Zelda, and then Resident Evil, and then Pokémon, and then my own original ideas, when nothing else was plain good enough for me to build off of, anymore.

I've only started to call myself a writer within the last six months, though — now that I am actively seeking publication.

I truly believe that anyone who writes is a writer. Doesn't matter if you're any good, or if you have education, whatever. You're a writer. I don't know about everyone else, but the big jump for me was calling myself an author. In my head, for whatever reason, writer and author are different. I don't know what makes an author. But I've made sure that when I introduce myself to people now, I call myself an author. Because I am. I auth. ;)

Last edited:
It transitioned slowly..starting off from a card game that developed into a story..then when I was waiting for an interview to digitise the game I discovered the Writer's and Artist's Yearbook browsing about. My light bulb moment I suppose...purchased the bulb..I mean book and displayed it proudly ensuring people can view the title very well....'cos purchasing it automatically made me a writer :D.

I truly believe that anyone who writes is a writer. Doesn't matter if you're any good, or if you have education, whatever. You're a writer. I don't know about everyone else, but the big jump for me was calling myself an author. In my head, for whatever reason, writer and author are different. I don't know what makes an author. But I've made sure that when I introduce myself to people now, I call myself an author. Because I am. I auth. ;)
I was thinking of writer as interchangeable with author, which technically is "the writer of a book, article, or report." But in actuality, there's something more to it, I think, and that's why we're all so reticent to label ourselves as one, until we feel like we're really doing something right. Whatever that is.

I was thinking of writer as interchangeable with author, which technically is "the writer of a book, article, or report." But in actuality, there's something more to it, I think, and that's why we're all so reticent to label ourselves as one, until we feel like we're really doing something right. Whatever that is.
See I call myself an author rather than a writer, I always have... Partly because I happen to prefer the word author, it sounds nicer to me in the literal sense not the symbolic sense. And really, when I use it that could pertain to a piece of art, or an image I've taken or a piece of writing, so when I say I am an author I'm not just talking about books, I'm talking about any of my creative ventures.

Not sure why this thread never showed up all day until now? Anyway, in brief, I kinda think Author defines one who writes with imagination. A writer could be someone who writes anything, technical or otherwise and may be reports etc.. An Author has a story to tell. As to when I evolved into one, I have no idea. Small beginnings at High School, an attempt to do something about it in my 20's, with no support, then nothing until 2011 (from 1980). Who knows where it will go... ;)

I remember I had the urge to write the day after I left school, possibly after being released from the shackles of Dim Tim, the world's most erratic English teacher.
I started writing short stories and bits of local journalism, and tried to marry the latter with b&w photos that I took with an ancient camera. I still have most of those articles. Obviously naive stuff in many ways, but happy memories. My first purchase with 'earnt' money was a small writing table. I still have it though these days it functions simply as yet another surface on which to pile more books.

I thought a writer becomes an author once you are published.

But looks like there is more to it than that according to this article with a nice summary at the end.

"So if you write a lot, but never get them published and out to the public, you remain a writer."

http://www.differencebetween.net/business/difference-between-author-and-writer/
No. An author is the creator of any work of art. Hence a photographer is the author of an image, a painter is the author of a painting, a writer is the author of a written piece of work no matter the genre or type. :)

No. An author is the creator of any work of art. Hence a photographer is the author of an image, a painter is the author of a painting, a writer is the author of a written piece of work no matter the genre or type. :)

In that instance the 'originator' of work is another meaning of 'author'. But author of a book vs writer is a subtler difference. It was the latter I was referring to. Of course everyone has their own understanding of these semantic terms.

I will be proud of the day I am an author - officially :D ...self-publishing included.

In that instance the 'originator' of work is another meaning of 'author'. But author of a book vs writer is a subtler difference. It was the latter I was referring to. Of course everyone has their own understanding of these semantic terms.

I will be proud of the day I am an author - officially :D ...self-publishing included.
;) I getcha, though I considered myself an author before I self-published :)

My mother wrote. She sold stories to Reader's Digest, and wrote scripts for a children's television show. The Writers Market Guide was sitting around the house. How could I not write? I published my first poem (in Highlights magazine, I think) when I was about 10 years old.

When I wanted to learn to identify all the insect orders, I wrote poems about each one (eventually published in some weird bug magazine). I'd write poetry at the end of each essay on grad school exams...all relating to the subject at hand (the one on wing evolution in insects was my favourite...).

I spent many years writing interpretive text for signs, brochures, etc. I also wrote training manuals, curriculum guides, professional articles, educational materials.

Never did I think of myself as a writer, until I could no longer consider myself a heritage interpreter. Still don't know if I think of myself as a writer...but there is no doubt I've been writing since I could hold a pencil.

My mother wrote. She sold stories to Reader's Digest, and wrote scripts for a children's television show. The Writers Market Guide was sitting around the house. How could I not write? I published my first poem (in Highlights magazine, I think) when I was about 10 years old.

When I wanted to learn to identify all the insect orders, I wrote poems about each one (eventually published in some weird bug magazine). I'd write poetry at the end of each essay on grad school exams...all relating to the subject at hand (the one on wing evolution in insects was my favourite...).

I spent many years writing interpretive text for signs, brochures, etc. I also wrote training manuals, curriculum guides, professional articles, educational materials.

Never did I think of myself as a writer, until I could no longer consider myself a heritage interpreter. Still don't know if I think of myself as a writer...but there is no doubt I've been writing since I could hold a pencil.
I'd call you a writer @Robinne Weiss :) I'd say you were made to write if you felt so compelled to do so even during exams :)

Ah, but there is such poetry in insects! Every entomologist will tell you that! It was the insect poems that landed me in a graduate program in entomology in the first place. "Why are you not in the entomology department?" asked a friend at Penn State Uni after reading them. I didn't have a good answer. I applied, and was welcomed by a wonderful group of scientists who also understood the poetry of insects!

For me, writing became the only way I wasn't afraid to say what I thought. It was the only safe place/way to express myself. So I wrote, because I couldn't speak any other way.

I've been writing since I was 8, but I don't define myself yet as a writer, because I've only just found my voice (maybe. . . don't want to jinx it).

For me, writing became the only way I wasn't afraid to say what I thought. It was the only safe place/way to express myself. So I wrote, because I couldn't speak any other way.

I've been writing since I was 8, but I don't define myself yet as a writer, because I've only just found my voice (maybe. . . don't want to jinx it).
Not seen you on the forum for a while @Meerkat :)
I totally understand what you mean by safe expression. I think that's possibly true in a way for a good number of authors. I feel that way at times about my writing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptwriters, Radio Drama opportunity

Fun or Profit?

Back