'Dark Matter,' a ghost story by Michelle Paver (and ahem, who represents Michelle...?)

What do we think about chapters?

Has anyone here used Wattpad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
Looking forward to her new book 'Wakenhyrst', out April 2019, published by Head of Zeus, whose Nic Cheetham was a special guest on Pop-Ups in September.

'Dark Matter,' was how I found Litopia, looking to see who the agent was

It's all about the quiet, inexorable building of suspense

The real horror is in the reality of what happened, that left such anger behind, in the shape of the ghost.

Such things can happen. I experienced a sad thing once, in a lovely old holiday house in Suffolk. Golden fields, high summer and hot. I was 18 and it was terrifying, no rhyme or reason. Didn't find out till many years later who and what 'it' was; a poor man called John Sparrow, and of course, such experiences are not susceptible to proof.

But as for Dark Matter, where was the nearest Bishop or Shaman when they needed them?

Last edited:
Richard Madeley does believe in ghosts, whatever he says here. He talked about it once on another programme. He too had a horrid experience in a hotel. I think he said it was in Paris. Woke up to see someone leaning over Judy who was asleep, described a feeling of utter malevolence coming off it, got up and chased the figure into the bathroom where it disappeared.

A publishing and a ghost story

Baroness Gail Rebuck, who set up Century with Anthony Cheetham (Nick's dad) had a problem keeping au-pair girls. They'd stay a night or so and then leave. Gail asked my dad if he knew anyone who could help. Dad brought down Mr Barrett (the caretaker of a spiritualist church in Bristol and a faith-healer - who he'd met originally through an author of his, Rebecca Hall of "Animals are Equal" fame). So Mr Barratt travels up to London and goes into Gail's house and locks himself in the 'haunted' room for a while. Sometime later out he comes, and announces that the problem is solved. The room was haunted by Mr Hargreaves. He hadn't realised that he'd actually died and was just sitting there waiting for someone to bring him his pipe tobacco. Everytime a new girl arrived, Mr Hargreaves tried asking them for his tobacco and his supper. Barratt finally suceeded in convincing Hargreaves that he was in fact dead and that all his friends and relatives would be waiting for him on the other side, so he should get a move on and join them. If he didn't like it, he was welcome to visit Barratt in Bristol. A few weeks later Hargreaves turned up at Barratt's flat to thank him. He'd moved on and been reunited with his loved ones.

Dark Matter is a superb book. I’ve been to Svalbard and she captures it so well. I’ll be looking out for this new one!

A publishing and a ghost story

Baroness Gail Rebuck, who set up Century with Anthony Cheetham (Nick's dad) had a problem keeping au-pair girls. They'd stay a night or so and then leave. Gail asked my dad if he knew anyone who could help. Dad brought down Mr Barrett (the caretaker of a spiritualist church in Bristol and a faith-healer - who he'd met originally through an author of his, Rebecca Hall of "Animals are Equal" fame). So Mr Barratt travels up to London and goes into Gail's house and locks himself in the 'haunted' room for a while. Sometime later out he comes, and announces that the problem is solved. The room was haunted by Mr Hargreaves. He hadn't realised that he'd actually died and was just sitting there waiting for someone to bring him his pipe tobacco. Everytime a new girl arrived, Mr Hargreaves tried asking them for his tobacco and his supper. Barratt finally suceeded in convincing Hargreaves that he was in fact dead and that all his friends and relatives would be waiting for him on the other side, so he should get a move on and join them. If he didn't like it, he was welcome to visit Barratt in Bristol. A few weeks later Hargreaves turned up at Barratt's flat to thank him. He'd moved on and been reunited with his loved ones.

Who was Mr Hargreaves? Had Gail Rebuck ever met him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What do we think about chapters?

Has anyone here used Wattpad?

Back