How do you know…

Help! New Cover and Description for The Panopticon Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire MG

Basic
Jan 5, 2023
UK
Hello Hive Mind! Looking for some advice please. I'm planning enter the Future World's Prize (in the UK) - psssttt, deadline is 6 Feb, get applying! 2023 | FUTURE WORLDS PRIZE

As part of the application you have to submit a covering letter, alongside first three chapters of the novel and a synopsis. I'm familiar with query letters to agents, but haven't ever had to write a covering letter for a prize entry. Any advice on what to write/include? Please and thanks in advance!

Claire x

Hello Hive Mind! Looking for some advice please. I'm planning enter the Future World's Prize (in the UK) - psssttt, deadline is 6 Feb, get applying! 2023 | FUTURE WORLDS PRIZE

As part of the application you have to submit a covering letter, alongside first three chapters of the novel and a synopsis. I'm familiar with query letters to agents, but haven't ever had to write a covering letter for a prize entry. Any advice on what to write/include? Please and thanks in advance!

Claire x
I have been told that a covering letter is what they call it (query letter in US) in the UK. So I would assume it would be similar for the prize entry (tailored), but we'll see what others say.

Last edited:
I have a template cover letter which I then tweak to suit each agent I apply to. If I were to enter this, I would use my template:

First paragraph introduces novel, genre, wordcount (and in my case YA). This is where I would normally put why I'm submitting to this person.
Second paragraph: blurb (as in back of the book)
3rd paragraph: Two comparative novels (and why); what is special about this book (the Why now? question).
4th paragraph: mini bio and credits (e.g. shortlisted in X, another story published in Y etc.)

All this fits into 1 A4 page.

That's what I do for UK submissions.

I have been told that a covering letter is what they call it (query letter in US) in the UK. So I would assume it would be similar for the prize entry (tailored), but we'll see what others say.
A query letter asks permission to submit. Standard in USA and some other countries. A cover letter is shorter (always under a page of A4, if printed out) and accompanies a submission. British agents don't accept query letters, with maybe 1-2 exceptions. Think of a cover letter as being similar to the one that accompanies a CV/Résumé when applying for a job. It's never sent on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you know…

Help! New Cover and Description for The Panopticon Experiment

Back