Important! Submissions Surgery On Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbo

Basic
Feb 13, 2019
West Sussex
Hey all,
Been a couple of years since I last frequented the forum. Back to partake again with the self-publication of another book on the horizon.

Can anyone recommend a quality, well priced cover illustrator? I used Kit Foster for my last book, but he’s not around anymore.

Best,

Tim

Hi there Tim. Good stuff :)

Take a look at John Amy for one. He's solo freelance, based in Bromley. He designed my first website, but illustration is his real interest, and now he is concentrating on book cover design. And is very affordable compared with some.

Well done on finishing another story. Beehive Illustration are a cooperative of illustrators, including one near to me in Cornwall:

Beehive Illustration

If you don't know it, have a look at the Book Designer website, which has great advice on all aspects of self-publishing, including cover design; his newsletter is worth subscribing to, as it includes a weekly aggregator of the best blog posts from writing gurus.

The Book Designer - Practical advice to help build better books

Hi Timbo, I can't recommend any illustrators, but maybe @Robinne Weiss can (can you, Robinne?). I think she has an illustrator who she often works with.

And also, welcome back to the Colony! :)

Welcome back! As @Rich. said, I do have an illustrator. He's a cartoonist, so if that's the style you want, he's great. Brendon Wright is his name. B&N Creations is his business name. A warning: he's not fast, and he's usually busy with corporate clients who take priority because he charges them more than he does us indie authors (he's gotta make a living too), so talk to him early.

Well done on finishing another story. Beehive Illustration are a cooperative of illustrators, including one near to me in Cornwall:

Beehive Illustration

If you don't know it, have a look at the Book Designer website, which has great advice on all aspects of self-publishing, including cover design; his newsletter is worth subscribing to, as it includes a weekly aggregator of the best blog posts from writing gurus.

The Book Designer - Practical advice to help build better books
Thanks Paul. I know that website so will check it out. All the best.

One aspect of cover design that's easy to overlook, is that if you're self-publishing online, the first sight of your cover that a potential reader sees will be a thumbnail-sized image. An artistic design, that looks good full-sized might appear as a gaudy mess when shrunk down. One way to catch the eye is to have a recognisable form on the small version—a cat, an anchor, a heart shape, a gun—some key element of your story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement Dubious Literary Methods: The Tangential Telling of the Tale

Important! Submissions Surgery On Saturday

Back