Chat-Up Lines

Huddle Dates for January

A Very Merry Xmas To All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
In writing a series of crime novels, I have a changing cast of policemen, lawyers, coroners and pathologists, even a couple of secret agents when the crimes involved are sensitive for national security.

I’ve given them personal lives to round out their characters and to give the reader someone to bond with. My MC the Cornish Detective has just turned 50 and is in love for only the second time in his life, after being widowed six years before. Although he has no children, he’s become a father figure to a couple of the young officers just starting out on their careers in the force. They approach him asking for unexpected advice.

A new recruit is showing great promise, but is inexperienced with women. He has comic potential. Although I’ve been married three times and am a veteran of computer dating, I have had little experience of the dating scene in person...pick-up bars, speed dating and night clubs. I’m good with words, but the notion of saying a pick-up or chat-up line defeats me. This area of language is strewn with clichés, such as Come here often?, Heaven must be missing an angel and If you were a library book, I’d check you out.

My virgin copper is about to enter this meat market, so what chat-up lines can I give him? Have you said or received any that made you laugh or which caused feelings of revulsion?

What have your fictional characters said to one another when meeting?

iu

I was always too shy to make the first move however, at university I had a great friend called Frank who had a way with the girls. It seemed like every week he had another stunner on his arm so one day I asked him how he did it. 'Flattery' he said.
He wasn't handsome or strong looking and had a bushy beard which I thought ridiculous but he had a wonderful Irish way of talking and he wasn't shy. For him it was a numbers game. He would go to a party and ask his first choice girl for a dance. By the end end of the dance he would have popped the question and if he got a 'no' he moved to the next. 'You must be polite and ask nicely.' he said and claimed never to have been slapped.
'Tell them how beautiful and sexy they are and they will love you.'
Compliments, compliments, compliments said with a smile.

Genuine interest might work. Lines are for fishing hooks, and nobody likes to be jagged with that tackle.

In writing a series of crime novels, I have a changing cast of policemen, lawyers, coroners and pathologists, even a couple of secret agents when the crimes involved are sensitive for national security.

I’ve given them personal lives to round out their characters and to give the reader someone to bond with. My MC the Cornish Detective has just turned 50 and is in love for only the second time in his life, after being widowed six years before. Although he has no children, he’s become a father figure to a couple of the young officers just starting out on their careers in the force. They approach him asking for unexpected advice.

A new recruit is showing great promise, but is inexperienced with women. He has comic potential. Although I’ve been married three times and am a veteran of computer dating, I have had little experience of the dating scene in person...pick-up bars, speed dating and night clubs. I’m good with words, but the notion of saying a pick-up or chat-up line defeats me. This area of language is strewn with clichés, such as Come here often?, Heaven must be missing an angel and If you were a library book, I’d check you out.

My virgin copper is about to enter this meat market, so what chat-up lines can I give him? Have you said or received any that made you laugh or which caused feelings of revulsion?

What have your fictional characters said to one another when meeting?

iu

The line, 'Do you want to go halves on a bastard?'... Would suit a cad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huddle Dates for January

A Very Merry Xmas To All!

Back