Cat Writing Competition

Pop-Up Submissions - a thank you

27 Calls for Submissions in January 2019 - Paying markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
A friend sent me a cutting about a writing competition, called 'Search for a Star,' which I thought would be of interest to the many cat owners on the Colony.

It's organised by independent women's fiction publisher Choc Lit and audiobook publisher Soundings; they're on the lookout for fresh writing talent.

This year, the competition is sponsored by Your Cat magazine, which means that all stories submitted must include a cat!

The winner will get a three-book deal in digital, print and audio, with an intended publication date planned for autumn 2019.

Your Cat editor Emily Wardle says:

"Our feline friends are the source of much inspiration—and we hope that the theme of this year's competition will create plenty of interest in the cat community and beyond. Whether an adventurous moggy is the protagonist, or a feline companion is a secondary character, we're sure that you won't be stuck for ideas."

Entries will be accepted from writers not previously published or accepted by an agent or publisher. Competition entries should be full-length novels of 60,000-100,000 words.

The closing date is February 28, 2019.

www.choc-lit.com/search-for-a-star-competition

My Cornish Detective series features a feral barn cat called Bastet, that my protagonist rescued from a crime scene, and though it helps him out in the fourth story Sin Killers when an escaped mountain lion menaces them both, I fear that my plot is too gory for the competition.

In the meantime, I could always churn out a fantasy detective story, featuring a wisecracking female feline sleuth who wears a skintight leather catsuit and rides a Du-Cat-i motorcycle!

This would be a bit too anthropomorphic for me, though there's a successful series of cat detective novels called The Cat Detective Cosy Mystery Series, written by Nancy C. Davis.

Getting your cat to type your entry is probably cheating!

Cats know the truth!

i-should-write-a-book-but-i-dont-think-anyone-33209847.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop-Up Submissions - a thank you

27 Calls for Submissions in January 2019 - Paying markets

Back