British & American English

Is it just me...

What book do you think would make a good film but hasn't been made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
This article in today's Guardian fuels the notion that American and British people are separated by a common language:

To Brits with knickers in a twist over Americanisms: don't get your panties in a bunch

I lived in Atlanta, Georgia for three years, so picked up some colloquialisms, such as Y'all, Copacetic (completely satisfactory), Fixin' to, If I had my druthers (Given the choice, I'd rather not), All Get Out, as in the phrase "He was as funny as all get out" and Too big for his britches.

My favourite Southern expression was, "No shit, Sherlock," meaning you've just stated something totally obvious to most people.

My English accent was popular with women, while seeming to make some men think I was behaving in a superior way, or that it was proof all English men were gay! I had a bumper sticker on my Chevrolet Camaro, that said CORNISH MEN DO THINGS DRECKLY. This caught people's attention, and they asked me if it meant the same as the Southern expression Directly. It kind of does, but the rebellious Cornish meaning is more "I'll get around to it, when I feel like it."

Interested in language, I was startled to find how archaic words and pronunciations had been retained in America. I'd thought that Fall for Autumn, was an Americanism, but it's what Brits used to say, as it derives from the Old English word 'feallan' meaning to fall or die—perfect for describing falling leaves.

Even more surprising to me, was how Americans had retained the French pronunciation of some words, which is why they said "Erb" for Herb, and that what an English person would pronounce as "Fill-it" for a fillet of fish was said in the French way for filet—with an accent on the last syllable—"Fil-ay." The spelling was also different.

I have an occasional American character in my Cornish Detective novels, an FBI agent, so I make sure that he speaks differently enough to be noticeable.

Separated by the pond, do you have any favourite American or British English expressions?

British-vz.-American.jpg

I did two long road tours of the US but I can't I think of many of the American phrases that had me a bit non-plussed.
However you do bring to mind an interesting incident.
We were in a town called Independence, just driving through and stopped for a little look around. It happened to be the 4th of July and they were getting ready for their big parade down the main street. We were in a shop looking at some stuff and I noticed that it was getting near the time when the signs said that the main street would be closed.
I said to my friends, "Look, we ought to be getting moving if we are to get out of here before the road closes."
The lady behind the counter must have heard and said, "Are you not gonna stay for the big celebration? It's Independence Day."
I said to her with a smile, "We're British. It's not something we celebrate a lot."
I wasn't being rude and she gave a short laugh and a smile when she realised what I meant.

Separated by the pond, do you have any favourite American or British English expressions?
BRITISH: From the impenetrable world of cricket, I do like the expression to be on a sticky wicket – meaning to be in a difficult situation (if he comes to the office wearing that damn mankini, he'll be on a right sticky wicket.)

There must be a baseball equivalent...?

AMERICAN: I'm also quite fond of keep your pantyhose on, when telling someone to stay calm, but only when Ed Harris says it in The Abyss.

And, while not an expression, I'll mention the verb to spit. I'm a qualified English-as-a-foreign-language teacher, so I'm generally not fazed by differences in the various Englishes, but when I see spit as the past of spit (as opposed to the British spat) it throws me out of the story and leaves me all twitchy. I should work on getting over that.

I've lived here at the buckle of the Bible belt since 1999, and my favourite expression is still--ladies, avert your eyes:

"Fuck y'all, all y'all."

But I also greatly enjoy "box of hair". As in, "that bitch is dumb as a big ol' box of hair".

I'll know I'm fully assimilated when I understand why I say, for example: "I'm going to Wal-Mart" when my neighbours say they're going to THE Wal-Mart. Ditto hospitals.

And I will never understand why the interstate near my house is I-10 here, but THE I-10 when in California. I know it's THE M6 in England, but "take I-10" just seems better than "take the I-10". Picture me shrugging expressively here.

Your posts vex me. I hope it delights you.

My immediate response to this one is, "No, he didn't." Did you happen upon that idiomatic expression while on this side of the pond?

I lived in Atlanta, Georgia for three years, so picked up some colloquialisms, such as Y'all, Copacetic (completely satisfactory),

Copacetic is old. So old. My guess as to it's use.... less in the Western part of the United States than the Southern and the East. It's likely that despite living in the South I hardly ever speak to other Southerners unless given no choice but it's been a minute since I've heard someone under one hundred use the word copacetic in an un-ironic way:

Copacetic Etymology

Fixin' to, If I had my druthers (Given the choice, I'd rather not), All Get Out, as in the phrase "He was as funny as all get out" and Too big for his britches.

These are all still used I think. I truly dislike 'fixin' to' but using it fixing is a sure indication that someone is from the Southern United States.

My English accent was popular with women, while seeming to make some men think I was behaving in a superior way, or that it was proof all English men were gay!

Honestly, many American women also think English men are gay or fancy themselves superior. Or, we think you're putting us on.

I'm intrigued by how comfortable you are admitting to an increase in your desirability, an increase obtained simply by virtue of accidentally having an English accent. It's often true but not always. Although, I shudder to think about a English man, set adrift among a group of historical romance writers or at an RWA meeting.

Please remember, in spite of the inherent charm and novelty of an English accent, we American women can control ourselves. Those of us with brains are quite capable of saying, "It's only an accent and a set of virtues does not automatically follow." Most of us can do that.

I had a bumper sticker on my Chevrolet Camaro, that said CORNISH MEN DO THINGS DRECKLY. This caught people's attention, and they asked me if it meant the same as the Southern expression Directly. It kind of does, but the rebellious Cornish meaning is more "I'll get around to it, when I feel like it."

That's exactly what it means when Americans say it too. It means we'll eventually consider the possibility of starting the task should all things remain the same and nothing unforeseen happen to us on our way to quite possibly starting to do something.

Interested in language, I was startled to find how archaic words and pronunciations had been retained in America. I'd thought that Fall for Autumn, was an Americanism, but it's what Brits used to say, as it derives from the Old English word 'feallan' meaning to fall or die—perfect for describing falling leaves.

Come on dude. Archaic? Really? You were here, in the South, and didn't learn not to refer to something Americans do as archaic? If we have archaic things, we most likely got it from the UK. As you quite rightly point out.

Even more surprising to me, was how Americans had retained the French pronunciation of some words, which is why they said "Erb" for Herb, and that what an English person would pronounce as "Fill-it" for a fillet of fish was said in the French way for filet—with an accent on the last syllable—"Fil-ay." The spelling was also different.

I know it's surprising. The English weren't the only ones to colonize this country before we made it our own. The French and the Spanish also have their boot prints all over the place. But to clarify, there are lots of Americans who pronounce the H in herb. I can go either way depending on my mood. I have to admit it might be intentional with me. I like playing with words. But in California, where I hail from, the H is pronounced. However, I would never ever say fil-et. Say fil-et instead of fil-ay would say to people listening (most of the time) that I didn't know how to read and I has my pride.

I have an occasional American character in my Cornish Detective novels, an FBI agent, so I make sure that he speaks differently enough to be noticeable.

I imagine this is true in the UK but there are all kinds of different ways to say words in the U.S. and what a Southerner would say is a lot different from what someone from California or Washington state would say ... and how they would say it. People in San Francisco, CA speak differently from people in Southern California. There are class differences in speech we don't talk about much. We'd hate to admit we were as class conscious as ... say ... the British. We prefer to imagine ourselves above such things. Which doesn't prevent us for being catty in private.

None springs to mind. Although, I do have some. I can't remember them right now. I'm still thinking about herbs.

You people pronounce specific herbs differently too. Which I like... basil is baz-ill and oregano is ore-GAN-o. Aren't you cute?

We were in a town called Independence, just driving through and stopped for a little look around. It happened to be the 4th of July and they were getting ready for their big parade down the main street. We were in a shop looking at some stuff and I noticed that it was getting near the time when the signs said that the main street would be closed.

Umm....actually it's just 'Main St.' to many of us.

I said to my friends, "Look, we ought to be getting moving if we are to get out of here before the road closes."
The lady behind the counter must have heard and said, "Are you not gonna stay for the big celebration? It's Independence Day."
I said to her with a smile, "We're British. It's not something we celebrate a lot."
I wasn't being rude and she gave a short laugh and a smile when she realised what I meant.

Yeah. Sometimes that joke is slightly painful. Try to tell an American student that everyone doesn't celebrate the fourth of July or that not every country celebrates Thanksgiving.

The fact that colonies retain the old forms of their parent language is well-known among linguists. When I was learning Spanish in Costa Rica, in preparation for work in Panama, we we taught Costa Rican Spanish--very formal and gentle--but with lots of caveats about how Panamanian Spanish was more modern. Costa Rica looked to old Spain as its 'motherland' far more than Panama ever did, and preserved the old language styles. Made it damned hard to go work in Panama...had to learn Spanish all over again.

And anyone who thinks there's one American English has not lived for long in America. I grew up in a very German part of Pennsylvania, and when I went to University in Michigan, I practically had to relearn the English language. Who knew that in other places they didn't know what gockies were, or understand the expression Get ot, or know how to ret the table? And then, of course, when I lived in Minnesota I had to learn what hot dish was, and bars ... No, there is no American English. And I suspect it's the same with British English.

BRITISH: From the impenetrable world of cricket, I do like the expression to be on a sticky wicket – meaning to be in a difficult situation (if he comes to the office wearing that damn mankini, he'll be on a right sticky wicket.)

I always picture a tight lipped older English woman saying this... and I don't have a lot of understanding of the phrase because I still don't get cricket. Don't try to explain it to me. It's been tried before. I really enjoy the white v-necked sweaters though. I understand there's a reason those are worn.

There must be a baseball equivalent...?

I don't know .... I try very hard not to have any understanding of American sports at all. It's not as easy as you would think.

AMERICAN: I'm also quite fond of keep your pantyhose on, when telling someone to stay calm, but only when Ed Harris says it in The Abyss.

I'll just go to each post and make slight clarifications to everyone's American idioms. While this one is used and all of us would certainly immediately understand it, the more common phrase is: keep your panties on OR don't get your panties in a wad and I believe there's a British equivalent. Although, I could be wrong. This might be an Americanism that became an UK'ism and was UK'ified. Keep your knickers on.

And, while not an expression, I'll mention the verb to spit. I'm a qualified English-as-a-foreign-language teacher, so I'm generally not fazed by differences in the various Englishes, but when I see spit as the past of spit (as opposed to the British spat) it throws me out of the story and leaves me all twitchy. I should work on getting over that.

Ah. This is something I'd do. I'd say spit where I should say spat. We hardly ever hear spat.

Now it's your turn.

"Fuck y'all, all y'all."

See. I'm not a Southerner. I so hate y'all. We say, 'Fuck you' or 'Fuck me' and y'all is not a word and will never be a word to me.

But I also greatly enjoy "box of hair". As in, "that bitch is dumb as a big ol' box of hair".

Never heard it til today. The expression I learned was 'dumb as a box of rocks'.

I'll know I'm fully assimilated when I understand why I say, for example: "I'm going to Wal-Mart" when my neighbours say they're going to THE Wal-Mart. Ditto hospitals.

Saying THE Wal-Mart is a Southern thing to say. The hospital almost all Americans say.

And I will never understand why the interstate near my house is I-10 here, but THE I-10 when in California. I know it's THE M6 in England, but "take I-10" just seems better than "take the I-10". Picture me shrugging expressively here.

Specifically, the I10 is the 405 or even the 5 in California. On the other hand, Pacific Coast Highway is not THE Pacific Coast Highway but Pacific Coast Highway or PCH preferably. So, you see it all makes sense and there's a logical pattern that anyone could see.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the white v-necked sweaters though. I understand there's a reason those are worn.
Because even in summer (cricket season) it's still damn cold over here and unless they are batting, cricketers don't run around alot. Most of the time they are standing around doing nothing or rubbing the ball in their crotch. When it is hot they give all their jumpers to the umpire to look after. It is really a very odd sport.

My pet frustration is that Americans don't seem to realise that there is a second i in aluminium and pronounce it aluminum.

Yeah. English people can dine out every day of the year on that extra ‘i’ in aluminum. Nothing amuses us more than the addition of that adorable vowel sound in your ordinarily dignified diction. Seriously, we talk about it all the time.

Yeah. English people can dine out every day of the year on that extra ‘i’ in aluminum. Nothing amuses us more than the addition of that adorable vowel sound in your ordinarily dignified diction. Seriously, we talk about it all the time.

It really got to me in one of the Star Trek films, I think it was The Voyage Home, when Scotty talked about making "transparent aluminum" and pronounced it like that, without the i. And he's supposed to be Scottish and said it with a Scottish accent!

The thing is, both spellings (and presumably pronunciations) are technically correct. No need to get your undies in a bunch or your knickers in a twist.

Oh I can't imagine anyone thinks one is right and the other wrong. But funny. Never heard undies in a bunch. There's something a little school marm about it. Maybe East Coast.

We have a phrase we use, getting on your high horse ,meaning trying to talk down to someone or acting morally superior. I don't know whether that is an Americanism that has managed to swim the pond or whether it is originally British.

I've only ever seen it spelled ALUMINUM. American Mid-West born and raised here, with a 6-year stint in the American South where they also said and spelled it ALUMINUM.

They also said "All y'all" "y'all," "fixin' to," and "bless your heart" which it took us two weeks to learn was actually an insult, not an endearment. LOL! Here in Indiana, it's an endearment. In Ohio (where I lived for 48 years), I never heard the phrase used. Then again, that was northeast Ohio. If you go to southern Ohio, the accent is different and so are the pet phrases.

We also say "Don't get your panties in a wad," or "Don't get your panties in a bunch" here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it just me...

What book do you think would make a good film but hasn't been made?

Back